• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

2000 - 2500 USD laptop ?

Ahmed047    3
Posted (edited)

what is the best laptop ( upgradeable  and serve as a desktop replacement) these days in range of 2000 - 2500 USD ?

I am thinking of two 

Alienware area 51m

Falcon NW DRX

which of them is the best ?, and is there more options ?

Mindovermaster    1,674
Posted (edited)

What are you using it for? gaming? photo editing? CAD?

If you are gaming, at what resolution? Also, what do you want to play?

Best is really a biased word. Depends what is best to you, not a review of "top 10 best laptops". You need to consider what it includes, it's upgrade compatibility, etc.

• Like 1

Ahmed047    3
3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

What are you using it for? gaming? photo editing? CAD?

If you are gaming, at what resolution? Also, what do you want to play?

Best is really a biased word. Depends what is best to you, not a review of "top 10 best laptops". You need to consider what it includes, it's upgrade compatibility, etc.

1- gaming

2- 1080, RTS & 3rd person shooters

3- upgrade is important to me

Mindovermaster    1,674
16 minutes ago, Ahmed047 said:

1- gaming

Laptops aren't that great for gaming. There's little you can replace on a laptop. Only thing on laptops, you can switch the HDD/SSD and RAM. That's about it. Some you can replace GFX card, but that is very unlikely.

For 2000-2500, you can build a pretty badarse desktop.

Any reason you "need" a laptop? portability? You won't be gaming on the train...

+DevTech    1,404
34 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Laptops aren't that great for gaming. There's little you can replace on a laptop. Only thing on laptops, you can switch the HDD/SSD and RAM. That's about it. Some you can replace GFX card, but that is very unlikely.

For 2000-2500, you can build a pretty badarse desktop.

Any reason you "need" a laptop? portability? You won't be gaming on the train...

56 minutes ago, Ahmed047 said:

1- gaming

The Dell Alienware Area-51m is an excellent choice!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-Area-51m-i9-9900K-RTX-2080-Laptop-Review.414667.0.html

Right now it is only available with a non-touch 1920 x 1080 panel, so I would suggest waiting for the 4K touch enabled panel version in a few months...

@Mindovermasterthere are certain laptops in the human universe that are EXTRA SPECIAL and this is one of them! It has a upgradeable CPU and GPU as well, along with an optional external case for holding Desktop GPU cards!

GPU module:

csm_IMG_20190109_162933_2631f380fd.thumb.jpg.ab7fae76a5e97567fa553dbf4fb4eac2.jpg

It comes with a RTX 2080 GPU which competes well with most gaming desktops! 

Area-51m.thumb.png.a3a83184e0438d1b8b079919cafc6110.png

Mindovermaster    1,674
20 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The Dell Alienware Area-51m is an excellent choice!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-Area-51m-i9-9900K-RTX-2080-Laptop-Review.414667.0.html

Right now it is only available with a non-touch 1920 x 1080 panel, so I would suggest waiting for the 4K touch enabled panel version in a few months...

@Mindovermasterthere are certain laptops in the human universe that are EXTRA SPECIAL and this is one of them! It has a upgradeable CPU and GPU as well, along with an optional external case for holding Desktop GPU cards!

GPU module:

It comes with a RTX 2080 GPU which competes well with most gaming desktops! 

Oh, that one does? I thought 1000-1500 range didn't have that. Wasn't sure about the higher range ones...

+DevTech    1,404
40 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, that one does? I thought 1000-1500 range didn't have that. Wasn't sure about the higher range ones...

Well....

1. He got the price range completely wrong. The STARTING price for the Alienware is $3,500

2. It is NOT price range that determines what is soldered in, it is DESIGN PHILOSOPHY.

From the article I linked:

"While our specific unit is a higher-end configuration with the Core i9-9900K and RTX 2080, lower-end options ship with the Core i7-8700 and RTX 2060 instead. The ability to swap out both the CPU and GPU is a unique advantage in the gaming laptop space where soldered processors are commonplace. The Area-51m has more in common with Clevo barebone laptops (Schenker, Eurocom, etc.) rather than laptops from MSI or Asus as a result.

Unveiled at CES 2019, the Area-51m represents a pivotal moment for Dell and Alienware. The OEM has discontinued its venerable Alienware 17 series after all these years to introduce a completely new design that will likely become the baseline for future Alienware laptops. Even the name is a deliberate nod to the original Alienware Area-51 laptop we reviewed over a decade ago. There are several key aspects about the Area-51m that make it special when compared to competing 17.3-inch gaming laptops already in the market. For one, it's one of the few laptops that integrate Tobii eye-tracking for support on certain titles. Secondly, the system utilizes a standard 95+ W desktop Core i9-9900K CPU instead of the usual 45 W mobile Core i7 or i9 series found on most gaming laptops. Lastly, its RTX 2080 GPU is a removable and upgradeable Dell Graphics Form Factor (DGFF) card in the same vein as the MXM GPU. Combine this with a new chassis that optimizes airflow and you have the most powerful Alienware laptop Dell has created yet."

Brandon H    2,500

if you get a decent laptop with a thunderbolt port you can always hook up an external GPU adapter for when you want more power :)

-slightly off topic but it sounds like we will start to see cheaper lower-end laptops with thunderbolt soonish finally since thunderbolt is going to get baked into USB4

Mindovermaster    1,674
42 minutes ago, DevTech said:

2. It is NOT price range that determines what is soldered in, it is DESIGN PHILOSOPHY. 

Well, you aren't gunna get un-soldered with a $500 laptop. That's my point..

+DevTech    1,404
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

if you get a decent laptop with a thunderbolt port you can always hook up an external GPU adapter for when you want more power :)

-slightly off topic but it sounds like we will start to see cheaper lower-end laptops with thunderbolt soonish finally since thunderbolt is going to get baked into USB4

The OP's suggested model, the Area-51m does in fact keep Alienware's external GPU adapter technology, the "Graphics Amplifier"

alienware-area-51m-graphics-amplifier.thumb.jpg.c71b48f3b06fa4bec7d51fd8aa6e0077.jpg

Since the laptop comes with a RTX 2080, I guess he would need to stuff a TITAN RTX into it to get any advantage...

+DevTech    1,404
30 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, you aren't gunna get un-soldered with a $500 laptop. That's my point..

Sorry man, it's not the cost. It's still DESIGN.

You have Steve Jobs to thank for that one. He discovered people don't understand what is INSIDE a device so he retarded the entire progress of the computing world to make STYLE more important than FUNCTION.

The typical dumb as **** customer could see with their eyes the THICKNESS of a device and were easily convinced that THIN was the Next Big Thing.

Soldered components are THINNER and save even more space by not needed any access panels etc. Thus started the trend to devices that can't be maintained or upgraded and in many cases must be thrown in the garbage when their Lithium Batteries wear out!

The gaming customer is more tech aware and is smart enough to realize the tech advantages he/she can get from a THICK Laptop. Hence socketed components are possible, depending on the whims of the manufacturer's marketing department when they set the form factor of a new model... Most gaming laptops DON'T have sockets so they can be the THINNEST gaming laptop no matter how FUNCTIONALLY STUPID THAT MIGHT BE.

At least computers with long sexy legs still can't walk down the fashion runways of Paris, but I'm sure Apple is working on it so computers can finally be as COMPLETELY STUPID as anything else...

Mindovermaster    1,674
1 hour ago, DevTech said:

At least computers with long sexy legs still can't walk down the fashion runways of Paris, but I'm sure Apple is working on it so computers can finally be as COMPLETELY STUPID as anything else... 

True...

• Haha 1

ThaCrip    524

on a side note... for gaming, get a desktop. laptops ain't worth it unless portability is paramount.

6 hours ago, Ahmed047 said:

1- gaming

so even based on your own words... a desktop can do all of that and for cheaper to and will probably last longer to and you get a bigger screen etc.

+DevTech    1,404
12 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

on a side note... for gaming, get a desktop. laptops ain't worth it unless portability is paramount.

so even based on your own words... a desktop can do all of that and for cheaper to and will probably last longer to and you get a bigger screen etc.

The OP did the research to discover that the NEW ALienware Area-51m had a desktop  Core i9-9900K CPU and a RTX 2080 which Monstrously EXCEEDS many of the desktop gaming builds that people discuss right here in these forums.

And it can be expanded with an external DESKTOP GPU CARD cabinet.

And it has connectors for 4K external monitors.

So, suggesting a desktop after all that ASSUMES that the OP somehow does NOT know the difference between a Laptop and a Desktop and just randomly picked a Laptop for no particular reason instead of the hundreds of reasons that a tech person might choose to do so...

For example, Gaming Laptops if configured correctly make great Workstation Class Laptops almost as good as a Lenovo P71 for example, for a lot less money. I'm personally quite happy for this thread since that Alienware is now on my TOP 5 candidates for my NEXT development laptop to replace my Dell XPS 15. I need to wait for 2 things: enough funds, and the 4K Touchscreen option.

Ahmed047    3

Portability is very important to me, I travel a lot.

Ahmed047    3

I will go with Falcon NW DRX

thank you all