• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Internet slow after changing network adapter - desperate for answers

Question

sammy2    8

Good day everyone. I am currently having an issue in which my wifi internet is faster than my wired connection. I have a 1gig download plan and this was reflected in my internet test until recently. I can no longer get above 300MB/s. When the internet provider technician tried his laptop (wired connection) he was able to get 860MB/s while i'm still stuck at 300. I bought a USB 3.0 adapter and even with this change i'm still stuck at 300MB/s ... please help. I think it may be a settings problem. THank you. 

13 answers to this question

Mindovermaster    1,866

What Router/Modem are you using? Manufacturer, version.

DaveLegg    987

Silly question, is your usb 3 adaptor plugged into a usb 3 port on your PC? If you plug it into a USB 2 port, then you'll see restricted speeds.

Are you plugged directly into the router or modem, or are there other devices in between?

sammy2    8
9 hours ago, Marujan said:

1) VPN ?

2) Antivirus filter?

3) ask a friend to bring laptop to check

4) bad patch cord

5) install new drivers for netw card

6) reset router ...probably QoS

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/prioritize-network-traffic-with-qos-policies-to-control-bandwidth-usage/

THank you for your reply. I am not able to alter QOS, hitron apperently disabled it with Rogers (My internet provider). No VPN or ANti virus filter. I just don't get what could be causing this problem. I have a new modem (Yesterday ) and my ethernet cord was used to produce better speeds on a different computer.

Brandon H    2,841
9 minutes ago, sammy2 said:

THank you for your reply. I am not able to alter QOS, hitron apperently disabled it with Rogers (My internet provider). No VPN or ANti virus filter. I just don't get what could be causing this problem. I have a new modem (Yesterday ) and my ethernet cord was used to produce better speeds on a different computer.

sounds like you may need to contact Rogers and have them assist with troubleshooting then if they've locked down settings on the modem/router

this very much sounds like a misconfigured setting on the router to me. 300MB/s is slow even for a non-gigabit port I believe (but I would also double check they actually provided you with a gigabit modem)

dipsylalapo    1,755

OP, how are you testing? 

Are you using a wired connection? Did you check what Dave suggested above re. the usage of a correct port?

Brandon H    2,841

could try a factory reset on the modem if that's not locked down to see if setting everything back to factory defaults helps as well

sammy2    8

THanks everyone, 

but please keep in mind others can connect to the modem and get better speeds - wired connection too. It's just my computer and even after changing the adapter i'm still having issues. 

+jnelsoninjax    11,791
46 minutes ago, sammy2 said:

THanks everyone, 

but please keep in mind others can connect to the modem and get better speeds - wired connection too. It's just my computer and even after changing the adapter i'm still having issues. 

That sounds suspiciously like an outdated driver. My go to program of choice for finding drivers is Snappy Driver Installer, this is an open source program that has been really useful to me and many others, you might give it a shot.

• Like 2

sammy2    8
21 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

That sounds suspiciously like an outdated driver. My go to program of choice for finding drivers is Snappy Driver Installer, this is an open source program that has been really useful to me and many others, you might give it a shot.

The weirdest ###### just happened. I installed Microsoft's edge based on chromium and now i'm getting 740Mbs on fast.com. Tried it in Chrome and i'm getting 300mb/s again. I will try the drivers tho, downloading it right now. 

Brandon H    2,841
1 minute ago, sammy2 said:

The weirdest ###### just happened. I installed Microsoft's edge based on chromium and now i'm getting 740Mbs on fast.com. Tried it in Chrome and i'm getting 300mb/s again. I will try the drivers tho, downloading it right now. 

try speedtest.net on both browsers; that sounds like Fast.com might be giving false results. there's no reason just changing browsers would make that much of a difference...

sammy2    8
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

try speedtest.net on both browsers; that sounds like Fast.com might be giving false results. there's no reason just changing browsers would make that much of a difference...

Upon trying speedtest.net, download is now 476mb/s. 

xendrome    5,359

Make sure there are no energy efficient options turned on in device manager under the properties for the adapter.