• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Won't turn on, but there's power

SoCalRox    222

I have a Dell 435mt- 1st generation i7, 6GB RAM, 500something GB hard disk that I use as a Linux test bed, and for some storage. 

I went off on a cruise a couple of months ago, and came back and it was powered down. The morning we returned, there was a severe thunderstorm, but we have whole house surge protection. I got home early afternoon, and have been unable to restart it. At first, I suspected the power supply, but I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and unplugged the PS from the mobo ad also reconnected it. It wouldn't boot, but the green light for the power supply is on, and on the mobo the yellow light indicating power is present, is on. 

It won't kill me if it has died, but I'd really like to get it running if I can.

Brandon H    2,500

any post beeps or post-light indicators?

try taking out all ram and powering up; do you get the missing ram beeps or anything?

could also try completely dismantling everything and put it back together to rule out loose pieces.

it does sound like the storm managed to make it through the surge protector but there's still a few things you can try before calling it dead :)

SoCalRox    222

No activity at all. At first, the yellow power light in front would shine and dim (draining leftover power, I asuume) but now, nothing.

This seems to be a running thread from what I can tell by looking at Dell's and other sites. That "pull everything out and try it again" method seems to be recommended. But, being disabled with arthritic hands (poor, poor me... now shut up and get back to business again) makes it a bit of a challenge, making me choose my battles more carefully that a year or so ago...

While I really do want the machine to come back to life, as long as I can get the HDD working (I can put it in my similar vintage XPS8100) I am at least okay. But, I am not giving up yet!

+jnelsoninjax    11,184
1 hour ago, SoCalRox said:

No activity at all. At first, the yellow power light in front would shine and dim (draining leftover power, I asuume) but now, nothing.

This seems to be a running thread from what I can tell by looking at Dell's and other sites. That "pull everything out and try it again" method seems to be recommended. But, being disabled with arthritic hands (poor, poor me... now shut up and get back to business again) makes it a bit of a challenge, making me choose my battles more carefully that a year or so ago...

While I really do want the machine to come back to life, as long as I can get the HDD working (I can put it in my similar vintage XPS8100) I am at least okay. But, I am not giving up yet!

Can you swap the PSU out and see if it works? I mean its a long shot, but it might work!

Brandon H    2,500
1 hour ago, SoCalRox said:

that's understandable with arthritis.

as for the HDD you should be able to plug that into another computer as a secondary drive or throw it in an external enclosure/Sata-to-usb adapter and use it as an external drive without issue as long as that piece isn't damaged (which is doubtful) :)

edit: as long as the drive isn't encrypted with BitLocker or anything of course lol

• Like 1

Jim K    12,258

Could also (not sure how good your eye sight or how bad your arthritis is) jump the power button header.  This could be done with a paper clip, screw driver ... etc.  Just pull the power button cable off the motherboard and bridge the two pins and see if it fires up.  You could also try removing and reinserting the battery on the motherboard.  If neither works ... probably PSU (1st choice) or mobo.

Mindovermaster    1,674

Might want to flush the power, too. Unplug the power cord in the back, and press the power button a few times. This will kill any charge in your system.

But, like above, your PSU might have blown. Dunno about other parts as we can't test them atm.

Check motherboard for bad caps, too...

+DevTech    1,404
2 hours ago, SoCalRox said:

I have a Dell 435mt- 1st generation i7, 6GB RAM, 500something GB hard disk that I use as a Linux test bed, and for some storage. 

I went off on a cruise a couple of months ago, and came back and it was powered down. The morning we returned, there was a severe thunderstorm, but we have whole house surge protection. I got home early afternoon, and have been unable to restart it. At first, I suspected the power supply, but I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and unplugged the PS from the mobo ad also reconnected it. It wouldn't boot, but the green light for the power supply is on, and on the mobo the yellow light indicating power is present, is on. 

It won't kill me if it has died, but I'd really like to get it running if I can.

#1 thing that lightening spikes does is corrupt the BIOS RAM.

Just do a CMOS RESET. Then re-enter the various settings which are not much on a standard Dell but a few important ones default the wrong way...

Mindovermaster    1,674
1 minute ago, DevTech said:

#1 thing that lightening spikes does is corrupt the BIOS RAM.

Just do a CMOS RESET. Then re-enter the various settings which are not much on a standard Dell but a few important ones default the wrong way...

Well, he can't get into BIOS, aparently...

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,404
5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, he can't get into BIOS, aparently...

"Just do a CMOS RESET"

After I see evidence of that being done, we could move on to consider less likely options...

sc302    1,657

Did you inspect the capacitors?...If they are bulging or leaking fluid, the system is gone.  It won't be able to fully power on, all low power indicators are reading good.  As soon as you apply higher power, nothing happens.  Check your capacitors.  

SoCalRox    222

Lots of great ideas to look into. I won't be able to get to it again until the weekend since I need my stepson to get it out of the shelf it's on and up to where I can get inside. 

My working theory has been that it is the power supply all along, but I have enough room for doubt that I was looking for just the kind of ideas I found here. Many thanks!