• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

There are now as many Americans who claim no religion as there are evangelicals and Catholics, a survey finds

Mockingbird    2,711

(CNN)--For the first time "No Religion" has topped a survey of Americans' religious identity, according to a new analysis by a political scientist. The non-religious edged out Catholics and evangelicals in the long-running General Social Survey. 

Ryan Burge, a political scientist at Eastern Illinois University and a Baptist pastor, found that 23.1% of Americans now claim no religion.

A growing number of Americans reject organized religion

"Religious nones," as they are called by researchers, are a diverse group made up of atheists, agnostics, the spiritual, and those who are no specific organized religion in particular. A rejection of organized religion is the common thread they share. 

"It is the first time we have seen this. The same questions have been asked for 44 years," Burge told CNN. 

The meteoric rise of religious nones began in the early 1990s and has grown 266% since 1991, he said. 

Burge estimates that 'No Religion' will be the largest group outright in four to six years.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no-religion-largest-group-first-time-usa-trnd/index.html

DocM    16,543

"No religion" is still only ~22-23%, roughly in line with the Pew study, so 77-78% are religious.

That said, not having a religion doesn't equate to atheism or agnosticism. A large part of this is the growth of non-denominational churches or those who worship at home or in small community groups. Studies have trouble dealing with these.

In the Pew study they got more specific, asking if subjects believed in God: >90% yes, depending on ethnicity. Whites were slightly less likely to believe in God, and other ethnicities more likely.

• Like 1

+jnelsoninjax    11,974

I wonder if they break it down by region, considering the south is considered the bible belt, not that makes any real difference...

Mockingbird    2,711
Posted (edited)

Former Christians got disgusted with people like Jerry Falwell turning the church into a de facto political organization and left the church.

• Like 2

astropheed    2,278

I believe in God. I don't believe in religion. Any religion worth believing in I've probably never heard of, and should never hear of.

Jazmac    2,697
13 minutes ago, astropheed said:

I believe in God. I don't believe in religion. Any religion worth believing in I've probably never heard of, and should never hear of.

Do you believe and follow the teachings in the bible or do you simply do your own thing?  Just asking, not being judgemental.

DocM    16,543
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

Do you believe and follow the teachings in the bible 

Which Bible? There are many translations; some modern and translated directly from the source material instead of (worst example) Hevbrew/Aramaic -> Greek -> Latin -> English.  Some older translations are just bad, causing all manner of issues.

We're Evangelical Lutheran and use the New Revised Standard Version, released by the National Council of Churches in 1989. Another updated translation is on the way.

Jazmac    2,697
47 minutes ago, DocM said:

Which Bible? There are many translations; some modern and translated directly from the source material instead of (worst example) Hevbrew/Aramaic -> Greek -> Latin -> English.  Some older translations are just bad, causing all manner of issues.

We're Evangelical Lutheran and use the New Revised Standard Version, released by the National Council of Churches in 1989. Another updated translation is on the way.

THE bible. There is only ONE translation and NONE get to the father except through his son Jesus Christ. You must be talking about interpretations and yes, there are many. 

• Facepalm 2

FloatingFatMan    18,679
1 hour ago, Jazmac said:

THE bible. There is only ONE translation and NONE get to the father except through his son Jesus Christ. You must be talking about interpretations and yes, there are many. 

Which bible? The Christian one? The Torah? The Qu'ran? The Book of Mormon?  The hundreds of other holy books each religion calls its instructions from god?  Also, you're still wrong as there are many translations of the Christian bible, or are you narrow minded enough to think that English is the only language for your religion? :p 

See, that's the problem with organised religion; too many chefs in the kitchen, and they all want to do the main course.

astropheed    2,278
7 hours ago, Jazmac said:

Do you believe and follow the teachings in the bible or do you simply do your own thing?  Just asking, not being judgemental.

No worries, no harm in questions. I don't follow any religion or religious affiliation, this includes their textbooks, writings, teachings, podcasts, discord servers, etc. I wouldn't say I "do my own thing"; everyone has a basic morality compass.

I do have an interest in Bahá'í. If there were any religion that made sense to me that'd be it. Hope that helps.

Jazmac    2,697
13 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Which bible? The Christian one? The Torah? The Qu'ran? The Book of Mormon?  The hundreds of other holy books each religion calls its instructions from god?  Also, you're still wrong as there are many translations of the Christian bible, or are you narrow minded enough to think that English is the only language for your religion? :p 

See, that's the problem with organised religion; too many chefs in the kitchen, and they all want to do the main course.

Not narrow at all. There is an English translation of the bible as used by English speaking people as there are translations for those that don't speak the original language. Many "words" in the original language, as you well know, do not have an one to one English translation. So religious scholars get to consensus how to translate the "meaning". Like the translated words of Christ, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani" which was translated to: "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me" at the time Jesus was on the cross. Many believe that Jesus was doubting God but that translation is later slanted a bit. Jesus was asking God to make himself known and if you read the scriptures, that is exactly what God did at that very moment.  Or that other very misinterpreted expression that we are NOT to judge others when that isn't at all what the Bible said or meant.  That said, unless you are a Biblical scholar of which I am not, I have to trust the meaning as well as the deliberate word in the bible as translated. I'll leave new interpretation until ripened. 

FloatingFatMan    18,679
Posted (edited)

Which "original" language?  Parts were written in Aramaic, parts in Greek, parts in Latin... NONE of them were written during Jesus supposed lifetime so, at best, are based on either the supposed memories of the authors or, in most cases, based on stories told from person to person over many years.

Ever heard of Chinese whispers? Same concept.  For all you know, Jesus might well have said "Hey dad, you're an a-hole for treating me like this!" or even "Okay, I confess, I'm a charlatan really."

As for "trust".. Why would you trust something written over several centuries, over a 1000 years ago, by many unknown authors who weren't even present for things they claim to chronicle?  For all you know, the bible is nothing but a collection of "fake news" stories generated by the MSM of the day... There is nothing to trust as it's nothing but unsubstantiated heresy and absolutely CANNOT be verified one way or another.  No, what you have is FAITH.  Faith cannot be quantified and doesn't require verification or validation; trust does.  You have FAITH that the bible is true, that's all.

• Like 1

+warwagon    13,118

God

One of the most ingenious characters ever created to control a population.

Think about it. Do you really think there is someone so self-obsessed that they want people to go somewhere every Sunday to worship and sing to/about them?

In order for God to open the gates of heaven, he has to crucify his son on a cross? Like he couldn't just open the gates of heaven because he's a nice person but instead had to have his son nailed to a cross? What an ######.

So far we have established God is a "self-obsessed *******" lol

• Haha 1