• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

NVIDIA Power Setting

Riva    1,083

I dont know if I am very late to the party, but I was going through the NVIDIA control panel 3D global settings and changed the power management mode to prefer maximum performance. The performance increase was 100%. I am shocked that they have their own setting and wont follow Windows power settings

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,445
5 hours ago, Riva said:

I dont know if I am very late to the party, but I was going through the NVIDIA control panel 3D global settings and changed the power management mode to prefer maximum performance. The performance increase was 100%. I am shocked that they have their own setting and wont follow Windows power settings

Hmmm....

Requires investigation and documentation and controlled testing...

Already I notice that my laptop which has both Intel and NVIDIA has MORE options in that dropdown!

I keep planning to make a free NVIDIA developer account to access more stuff on their site so maybe we should all be doing that...

Daniel F.    559
On 4/16/2019 at 7:23 PM, Riva said:

I dont know if I am very late to the party

Yep, like me to this thread ;)

You may also be tempted to crank ‘Power management mode’ up to ‘maximum performance’, but this will make your GPU run loud and hot at its max clock speeds when gaming. It’s overkill, and bad for the longevity of your card. ‘Optimal power’ is a good balance between performance and power.

+DevTech    1,445

Preliminary report:

This might be just yet another endless example of "Tech VooDoo"

I'm not seeing any difference of any sort with that setting. Smells like the "Knob That Goes to 11" on Primal Tap....

Will investigate further...

Jim K    12,497

Well ... here is the thing.  Optimal Power is the best Global setting ... if you're having issues with a particular program/game set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance" under Program Settings.

When you have Global set to Prefer Maximum Performance your GPU will increase the voltage, wattage, memory clock, etc. whenever you launch a "3D application" which includes programs like Chrome, Google Earth, etc.  It will stay at the aforementioned clocks/watts/etc. until you close the program/game.  For example ... if I'm running Chrome at "Prefer Maximum Performance" ... my 980ti is using about 50 more watts during the entire session (75 vs 26 watts according to HWInfo). With Optimal...the GPU will briefly jump when launching the program but then go back to the lower wattage.

Take a look below ... 

Green=Optimal.  First spike is launching Chrome ... opening a bunch of websites.  You can't tell when I closed it.  The second spike is when I opened Google Earth ... spinning the globe, zooming in, etc.

Red=Prefer Maximum Performance.  The mound(?) is launching Chrome ... opening and opening a bunch of websites and closed it (the dip).  The second mound(?) is opening Google Earth ... spinning the globe, zooming in, etc. 

Capture.thumb.jpg.28b16028a0190f67cf477bbf39553376.jpg

Does that make sense?  Also checks out on my UPS where normally it shows I'm pulling 117-126 watts (with brief spikes to ~180W when opening things) ... with Maximum Performance, even typing this in Chrome, I'm pulling 171 watts constant.

No idea about Adaptive...

• Like 2

Riva    1,083

I ma not disagreeing it burns more power it reduces card lifespan but thats what happens when you overclock anyway.

I did reflect on this couple of days ago and I thought to myself instead of global setting then I should probably do it to the programs i wanted it on only.

Right now its always on prefer performance but its not running super hot nor the fan is noisy, it does get noisy with some games.

I was having problems on some games since I run a 4k UHD resolution and this change improved performance significanty. I have even seen 100FPS+ in some cases when previously I was getting something like 30-35 which is ###### poor from a TITAN X.

ACTIONpack    481

Yea can't believe is that power.