• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Starting my own business

nabz0r    146

Hope everything is doing well, sorry for not being so active here but sometimes you have to prioritize.

As the title says, I have been thinking of doing this in the past couple of years but I have never actually went through with it, and today I decided to just do it and start choosing a name for my business and here is I need help/suggestions from the best community in the world. :D

My business will be networking/security consulting mainly Cisco and fortigate as I don't have any other experience in the other networking vendors. I have a couple of names for my business and website and wanted your opinion on or if you have a better suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

ipxperts

l3-solutions or l3solutions (i'm leaning toward this)

devnet or devnet-solutions

Thank you guys for stopping by!

sc302    1,665

good luck and congrats.  

Hopefully it is an "i" not an "L" with l3-solutions...i like the hyphen.  You don't ever want to be associated with Level 3 communications....those screwballs are always down.  

https://islevel3down.com/

+DevTech    1,445
18 hours ago, nabz0r said:

Hope everything is doing well, sorry for not being so active here but sometimes you have to prioritize.

As the title says, I have been thinking of doing this in the past couple of years but I have never actually went through with it, and today I decided to just do it and start choosing a name for my business and here is I need help/suggestions from the best community in the world. :D

My business will be networking/security consulting mainly Cisco and fortigate as I don't have any other experience in the other networking vendors. I have a couple of names for my business and website and wanted your opinion on or if you have a better suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

ipxperts

l3-solutions or l3solutions (i'm leaning toward this)

devnet or devnet-solutions

Thank you guys for stopping by!

If you want name ideas, there might be a lot more traffic in the general forums.

Usually, these days it is nice to have a matching domain name so a lot of good choices fail on the name search.

Security, Network, Defense, etc etc  and all the infinite variations are going to be gone, but playing with other languages and greek mythology etc can often yield some ideas

If you are really from Sweden, Norse mythology might yield a catchy domain name...

FreyjaNetworks.com   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja#Etymology_and_names)

NiflheimSecurity.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflheim)

YggdrasilDefense.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil)

ValkyrieNetSecure.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie)

(all available as of time of post)

nabz0r    146
12 hours ago, sc302 said:

good luck and congrats.  

Hopefully it is an "i" not an "L" with l3-solutions...i like the hyphen.  You don't ever want to be associated with Level 3 communications....those screwballs are always down.  

https://islevel3down.com/

Thanks man! It's with L and I also like the hyphen.

Hehe, hopefully mine wont down.

7 hours ago, DevTech said:

If you want name ideas, there might be a lot more traffic in the general forums.

Usually, these days it is nice to have a matching domain name so a lot of good choices fail on the name search.

Security, Network, Defense, etc etc  and all the infinite variations are going to be gone, but playing with other languages and greek mythology etc can often yield some ideas

If you are really from Sweden, Norse mythology might yield a catchy domain name...

FreyjaNetworks.com   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja#Etymology_and_names)

NiflheimSecurity.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflheim)

YggdrasilDefense.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil)

ValkyrieNetSecure.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie)

(all available as of time of post)

You're probably right, I should have created it in general forums. I'll ask sc302 to move it.

I can't base my business name on a catchy name based on in Norse mythology, I need something that has to do with what I am doing. 

To be honest, I have thought about a catchy names but only when I have an office with some meeting rooms, then I can choose a catchy name for the meeting room. ;)

+DevTech    1,445
37 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

Thanks man! It's with L and I also like the hyphen.

Hehe, hopefully mine wont down.

You're probably right, I should have created it in general forums. I'll ask sc302 to move it.

I can't base my business name on a catchy name based on in Norse mythology, I need something that has to do with what I am doing. 

To be honest, I have thought about a catchy names but only when I have an office with some meeting rooms, then I can choose a catchy name for the meeting room. ;)

Um, you are being too literal. I was just giving an example of how sometimes thinking outside the box just a little can yield a really nice ".com" domain name 

In the example, I provided, I assumed the security/network associations were obvious:

Freyja - "she who gives (prosperity or happiness)" ---> your network will run well with us

Niflheim - "realm of primordial ice and cold" ---> we will freeze out any network penetrations

Yggdrasil - "The branches of Yggdrasil extend far into the heavens, and the tree is supported by three roots that extend far away into other locations" ---> the tree that connects everything is just an analogy to a network or the internet

Valkyrie - "powerful female guardian spirits" ---> a rather generic symbol these days with Marvel movies, but the name implies protection of course.

One could choose all sorts of other names from other sources of inspirations that yield both a nice short domain name and a good marketing story to the customer

• Like 1

Brandon H    2,631

moved to General Discussion at your request @nabz0r :)

• Like 1

+warwagon    12,710

12 hours ago, DevTech said:

I completely agree, which is why I wanted some of my stuff moved here too.

I would recommend against I and I ---- See what I did there, those are two different letters.

I would also recommend something easy to spell of people, while +DevTech had a good idea, unfortunately, none of them I could spell without looking up the spelling.

All that being said, I do not have any ideas yet.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,445
2 hours ago, warwagon said:

I completely agree, which is why I wanted some of my stuff moved here too.

I would recommend against I and I ---- See what I did there, those are two different letters.

I would also recommend something easy to spell of people, while +DevTech had a good idea, unfortunately, none of them I could spell without looking up the spelling.

All that being said, I do not have any ideas yet.

I was giving an "Example" of a process that has the potential to yield a workable and "Brand-able" .com domain name that matches a company name which is a huge advantage to ANY company starting out.

So what I said was being taken too literally and not as a TEMPLATE for a "Way to Think About the Problem"

To enable people here to provide more detailed actual help, a lot more background info would be useful if that's a comfortable thing to do...

MAIN ADVICE: run every name you like through godaddy.com etc. and don't stop until you have a ".com" you can live with...

nabz0r    146
Posted (edited)

Thank you @Brandon H! :)

While I do get your point now @DevTech, I also agree with @warwagon. The name should be easy to remember relates to my business, as those names I provided are kind of related to the business in my opinion and the domain is going to be .se 😛

I haven't really decided on the name and to be honest this is post is just so that you guys help me make up my mind.

As I said I am leaning towards L3-solutions, but I also like ipXperts and ip-communications/ip-communication (should I drop the s here or keep it). All of these are still available for both .se and .nu (which both are used mostly in Sweden).

A little background info is that I will be starting consulting IT company specializing in Cisco and FortiNet. There is an opportunity which I would like to take and it's one day a week doing consulting for another consulting company and if everything goes well I might do more. Now I am working as  network engineer but occasionally I do work on-site in new projects as a consultant. I don't know what type if info you want but I hope this is enough otherwise feel free to ask. 

+warwagon    12,710

8 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

Thank you @Brandon H! :)

While I do get your point now

You can have www.networkmyass.com for $12.99 :D

• Haha 1

nabz0r    146
13 hours ago, warwagon said:

You can have www.networkmyass.com for $12.99 :D

Haha, and it's available in .se as well. :D

+DevTech    1,445
1 hour ago, claire divas said:

A new business opening is actually very special event and most joyful occasion for your near and dear ones. Though it’s a tough job to start a new business and the entrepreneur need more courage and strength during their way.

One day, A.I. Independent Entities will start their own businesses.

You seem to have nailed the Uncanny Valley of how that conversation would evolve...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

• Like 2

episode    623
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, nabz0r said:

As I said I am leaning towards L3-solutions, but I also like ipXperts and ip-communications/ip-communication (should I drop the s here or keep it). All of these are still available for both .se and .nu (which both are used mostly in Sweden).

L3 solutions is too similar to Level 3. They will go after you at some point if you choose that name, since you're in the same space.

The other two names are horrendous.

Since its just you, use your initials and security or computing or networking. Keep it simple. So ZZsecurity.com or whatever. Remember that you'll have to tell people the name verbally. So ZZ computing dot com is easy to remember. El 3 dash solutions is harder. ipxperts is impossible for someone to remember.

Now, as far as running a successful business, you're going to have to branch out much, much further than doing only Cisco networking. You do mention Fortinet, but no small businesses use them in reality. (And Cisco doesn't really have the greatest reputation either.) Those are going to have to be your targets, small businesses and you build your way up. Don't bother with home users unless you're super desperate, they aren't worth the time invested. Doing a business users home stuff as well is one thing, but a home-only user isn't worth it. Learning and installing the Ubiquity lines is very easy, and they have a much better reputation for not being overpriced and are much easier to work with. In most larger installs now, I'm doing UniFi stuff from top to bottom and having literally zero issues anywhere. 

The thing is, when you get into a small business, they are going to want you to handle all of their IT needs, from top to bottom. In 97% of cases, they don't want to have to call a networking guy and then their regular IT guy for everything else. And that regular IT guy isn't going to want to have to manage your equipment and settings if he's handling everything else. So you're going to need the ability to work on all the rest of their problems in addition to setting up a network.

The other thing if you're only planning on doing networking is that its a one time thing, more or less. You do the initial install and then you have to find a new client. That install may need support (ports opened, etc) but you're not going to make much more money off them after that. The constant search for new clients is tough, especially in an environment where unless someone is moving to a new building, they don't need new networking gear on a ground up scale, since they are already built out and networking gear very rarely 'dies'.

I've been doing this for a while. My IT company is about to have its 15th anniversary next month. And the market wasn't as crowded as it is now. You're going to have a problem getting into places as 'just' a networking guy. If you're not comfortable doing the rest of the IT work, my advice is that this isn't going to be an easy move for you, and if you aren't ready to possibly go quite a while without many clients, you might want to rethink things. If your idea is to do this on the side of your regular job, that might be easier, but most people want support during regular business hours.

One final thing - focusing on offices with meeting rooms and having names for the meeting rooms should not even be a consideration at this point. It can be in your business plan (you wrote one, right?) but the first few years should be focused on keeping costs down as much as possible.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but just trying to lay out my experience as someone who started their own IT business.

Edited by episode

+DevTech    1,445
2 minutes ago, episode said:

One final thing - focusing on offices with meeting rooms and having names for the meeting rooms should not even be a consideration at this point. 

On that point, he was just making a funny reply to my failed attempt to explain the usefulness of basic Branding...

The rest of your direct experience seems like a well intentioned summary of your experiences.

Maybe he could partner with a few guys to extend their skills coverage...

Since you find network config to mainly be a one=off thing, which areas has your experience shown to be good for repeat business?

episode    623
Just now, DevTech said:

On that point, he was just making a funny reply to my failed attempt to explain the usefulness of basic Branding...

The rest of your direct experience seems like a well intentioned summary of your experiences.

Maybe he could partner with a few guys to extend their skills coverage...

Since you find network config to mainly be a one=off thing, which areas has your experience shown to be good for repeat business?

Anything a user interacts with is where the repeat business comes from. And that is of course mostly the PC/Mac/device itself. 

+DevTech    1,445
4 hours ago, episode said:

Anything a user interacts with is where the repeat business comes from. And that is of course mostly the PC/Mac/device itself. 

Would that be hardware upgrades or custom software?

Although, I find Security to be utterly boring, wouldn't any small bizz and upwards actually need ongoing current "state of the art" up to date security analysis and pen testing and intrusion detection/response etc (i.e. ye old "Defense in Depth")?

nabz0r    146

@episode, thank you for taking time and explaining and sharing your experience with me, I very much appreciate it!

Since its just you, use your initials and security or computing or networking. Keep it simple. So ZZsecurity.com or whatever. Remember that you'll have to tell people the name verbally. So ZZ computing dot com is easy to remember. El 3 dash solutions is harder. ipxperts is impossible for someone to remember.

I haven't decided yet on the name and I will consider your advice even though I think that I might keep ip-communication or ipxperts. There are a lot of business here in Sweden with kind of similar names which are doing the type of work I do.

Now, as far as running a successful business, you're going to have to branch out much, much further than doing only Cisco networking. You do mention Fortinet, but no small businesses use them in reality. (And Cisco doesn't really have the greatest reputation either.) Those are going to have to be your targets, small businesses and you build your way up. Don't bother with home users unless you're super desperate, they aren't worth the time invested. Doing a business users home stuff as well is one thing, but a home-only user isn't worth it. Learning and installing the Ubiquity lines is very easy, and they have a much better reputation for not being overpriced and are much easier to work with. In most larger installs now, I'm doing UniFi stuff from top to bottom and having literally zero issues anywhere. 

The reason I mentioned Cisco and Fortinet is that these the only brands I have deep experience (i.e Cisco ISE and people with experience in ISE are worth a lot here where I live) in and there are short of staff/people in these fields here in Sweden. I will not be bothering with home users nor business that are not working with Cisco or Fortinet, which usually are small business and companies that doesn't care about the brand and are looking for cheap solutions. You mentioned Ubiquity and I don't mind working with it but it's not widely (or at least to my knowledge) used as a whole solution in Sweden.

The thing is, when you get into a small business, they are going to want you to handle all of their IT needs, from top to bottom. In 97% of cases, they don't want to have to call a networking guy and then their regular IT guy for everything else. And that regular IT guy isn't going to want to have to manage your equipment and settings if he's handling everything else. So you're going to need the ability to work on all the rest of their problems in addition to setting up a network.

I don't worry much about this as long as I don't work with Microsoft stuff as I have no experience whatsoever.

The other thing if you're only planning on doing networking is that its a one time thing, more or less. You do the initial install and then you have to find a new client. That install may need support (ports opened, etc) but you're not going to make much more money off them after that. The constant search for new clients is tough, especially in an environment where unless someone is moving to a new building, they don't need new networking gear on a ground up scale, since they are already built out and networking gear very rarely 'dies'.

I hear you and I see exactly the problem but since it's a new startup I will have to deal with it besides I am not going full-time from the beginning.

I've been doing this for a while. My IT company is about to have its 15th anniversary next month. And the market wasn't as crowded as it is now. You're going to have a problem getting into places as 'just' a networking guy. If you're not comfortable doing the rest of the IT work, my advice is that this isn't going to be an easy move for you, and if you aren't ready to possibly go quite a while without many clients, you might want to rethink things. If your idea is to do this on the side of your regular job, that might be easier, but most people want support during regular business hours.

First of congrats on the 15th anniversary. Yes, I have thought about it and that is one reason that I am going to do this only for one day per week. I have a job already/project that is kind of waiting and if they're ok with one day for now I might take the job and after a while if both parties are happy I might do more, who knows.

One final thing - focusing on offices with meeting rooms and having names for the meeting rooms should not even be a consideration at this point. It can be in your business plan (you wrote one, right?) but the first few years should be focused on keeping costs down as much as possible.

Don't worry about the meeting rooms for now, It was only a reply to @DevTech's post which I didn't get. The cost are going to be minimal for a couple of years that is for sure, I only thought about some t-shirts with the logo and business card.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but just trying to lay out my experience as someone who started their own IT business.

No man, don't be sorry, I really appreciate that you took the time and wrote a spot on advice.