• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Download speed not reached... RJ45 cables placed right in the connector on the wall?

Question

kiddingguy    58

This week I've had an increase of my ISP from 400MB down to 500 down.

When I connect wired to my router this speed is being met.

However, when I connect my desktop on the first floor these speeds are lagging to around 300-340 MB. Wired.

I have a CAT5 cable mounted in my wall. The question is.... have I done this right in the past?

From the wall I have a CAT6 cable to a TP-Link Gigabit switch and a CAT6 from the switch to my computer.

I have made a pictures of the 8 UTP-cables. Are these placed right? Or have a made some mistake on these? And if so. what is the right setup?

RJ45.jpg

4 answers to this question

kiddingguy    58

I came to notice I haven't used a dogger to cut the wires. I ordered one (arrives tomorrow) and I will see what that means when the 8 UTP-cables are (more) properly dealt with ;) 

Ready2018    42

Hopefully you mean your speed is 400 megabits and not 400MB?

A good way of testing is to always have a length of CAT6 already made cable that you know works. That way you can tell if it's the cable that's causing any slowdowns.

It also helps if you stick to one category of cables rather than mixing CAT6 and CAT5.

xendrome    5,505
Posted (edited)

That cable work looks like absolute crap. Did you use a punch down tool to do that?

Also that looks like stranded cable not solid from the pic, punched down wire should be solid. It probably isn't making a good connection.

kiddingguy    58
1 hour ago, xendrome said:

That cable work looks like absolute crap. Did you use a punch down tool to do that?

Also that looks like stranded cable not solid from the pic, punched down wire should be solid. It probably isn't making a good connection.

No I haven't. It used to work when I had 400 Mbits/s download.

As I already mentioned... I did buy a dogger/punch down tool today, which arrives tomorrow. Will do it "as it should be" than and the connection might be okay.