• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Updating Firefox on Mint to most recent version

cork1958    1,669

Used to have a link somebody had posted here previously on how to update Firefox on Mint to most current version. The page that link pointed to has been moved and I can't find the new location! I reinstalled Mint on this laptop a while back and didn't get a chance to do that tweak to keep Firefox up to date as far as what version comes with Ubuntu, which currently has version 66.0.3. My Mint on this computer currently still has 66.0.2. All my other Mint installs have 66.0.3 also.

Does anyone know how to make it so Firefox in Mint stays totally up to date, or where that page got moved to, without having to wait for the Mint team to finally get around to updating Firefox? I can't find the link to post where the person who posted how to do this is either.

Hope I haven't confused the heck out of who ever reads this!

Mindovermaster    1,985

Ubuntu and Mint runs on a different schedule. You won't get the latest and greatest on Mint like you do on Ubuntu.

You try running Update Manager?

Nick H.    9,760
27 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Ubuntu and Mint runs on a different schedule. You won't get the latest and greatest on Mint like you do on Ubuntu.

You try running Update Manager?

I would agree, but he does mention that on his other Mint installs he has 66.0.3, so there must be something that can be done.

It looks like you need to switch the channel to get 66.0.3. You should be able to switch it by doing the following:

• Close Firefox if it is open.
  • Go to the Firefox program directory (usr\lib\firefox)
  • Enter defaults\pref
  • Open channel-prefs.js in Notepad
  • There should be a line that says pref("app.update.channel", "release");

Change "release" to one of the following channels:

• nightly
  • aurora
  • beta
  • esr
  • release

Save the file and exit.

The strange thing is that I've just done an update of my system and I'm still on 66.0.2, even though I'm on the release channel and they say that 66.0.3 should be available. But a quick workaround on that would be to go to Firefox's download page and download 66.0.3 from there (it's available, I just checked).

Mindovermaster    1,985
2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I would agree, but he does mention that on his other Mint installs he has 66.0.3, so there must be something that can be done.

It looks like you need to switch the channel to get 66.0.3. You should be able to switch it by doing the following:

• Close Firefox if it is open.
  • Go to the Firefox program directory (usr\lib\firefox)
  • Enter defaults\pref
  • Open channel-prefs.js in Notepad
  • There should be a line that says pref("app.update.channel", "release");

Change "release" to one of the following channels:

• nightly
  • aurora
  • beta
  • esr
  • release

Save the file and exit.

The strange thing is that I've just done an update of my system and I'm still on 66.0.2, even though I'm on the release channel and they say that 66.0.3 should be available. But a quick workaround on that would be to go to Firefox's download page and download 66.0.3 from there (it's available, I just checked).

He said he has 66.0.3 on his Ubuntu systems.

Nick H.    9,760
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

He said he has 66.0.3 on his Ubuntu systems.

Last sentence of his first paragraph:

All my other Mint installs have 66.0.3 also.

Mindovermaster    1,985
1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Last sentence of his first paragraph:

Oh, misread that, ignore that part... :laugh:

But, yeah, try what Nick said. Go to the frirefox website and download it.

I'm still on 66.0.2, and I'm not crying...

Nick H.    9,760

Another idea would be to add the Ubuntu Firefox repository, but I don’t know what it could do as far as negative effects. I’m mobile at the moment, but I found instructions for adding it here: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-uninstall-and-update-firefox-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux#h6-1-install-and-update-firefox-from-ubuntu-repository

cork1958    1,669

It was a simple little script that somebody had posted a link to that worked perfectly. It kept Firefox up to date on the Ubuntu schedule. It was a reply to a couple others on here in some topic that I can't find for the life of me!!

Mindovermaster    1,985
4 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

It was a simple little script that somebody had posted a link to that worked perfectly. It kept Firefox up to date on the Ubuntu schedule. It was a reply to a couple others on here in some topic that I can't find for the life of me!!

As long as you got it! :D

Nick H.    9,760
10 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

I take it this means that you haven't tried the above solutions, and instead the question is specifically asking if anyone has the script?

cork1958    1,669
6 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I take it this means that you haven't tried the above solutions, and instead the question is specifically asking if anyone has the script?

Not on that machine at the moment, so no, didn't try it. The way the script worked on my other installs just worked normally through synaptic/update manager. No need to jump though any hoops.

Wish I could remember who posted it but I remember it was a real regular on here!

Nick H.    9,760
7 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Not on that machine at the moment, so no, didn't try it. The way the script worked on my other installs just worked normally through synaptic/update manager. No need to jump though any hoops.

I would bet that the script adds the Ubuntu Firefox respository and then performs an update. You would probably only need to run the script once per clean-install and then you could just update the same way you do with all other applications.

So yeah, I would try the steps I pointed out in my second suggestion, then if it works just throw the commands in to a script.

cork1958    1,669

Thanks, Nick. Will give it a try next time I'm on that machine.

cork1958    1,669
Posted (edited)

A friend of mine posted asking this question for me in the Mint forum and got the exact reply needed. This is exactly what had been posted here before but the page that this stuff was linked to got removed. This time I e-mailed the instructions to myself in case same thing happens! Now have Firefox 66.0.3 on that one machine! :)

Quicker updates for Firefox

9. Updates for your web browser Firefox come from Mint's own repository, not straight from the Ubuntu sources. In some cases, this might mean a delay of several days before you get the latest Firefox.

If you don't want to wait, you can instruct your Mint to prefer the Ubuntu version of Firefox. Like this:

a. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

b. Then create a certain new file by means of this terminal command (use copy/paste to avoid typing errors):

sudo touch /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted. In Ubuntu this remains entirely invisible, not even dots will show when you type it, that's normal. In Mint this has changed: you'll see asterisks when you type. Press Enter again.

Then copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to edit the new file:

xed admin:///etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu

Press Enter.

c. In that empty text file, copy/paste the following blue text:

Package: firefox*
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 800

d. Save the modified text file and close it.

e. Launch Update Manager, refresh it and install the updates for Firefox (if any).

f. Close Firefox and launch it again.

Nick H.    9,760

Ah so it does switch the repository over to the Ubuntu Firefox repository rather than the Mint one. Cool, good to know!