• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

AIO Watercooling - not used PC in a year

+Human.Online    8,546

I have a home-built PC and the cooling on the mobo is a Corsair "all in one" watercooler.  A sealed unit, not one I've put together.

I've not turned this computer on in a year as I transitioned away.

I'm now scared to turn it on, I've convinced myself that the water may have evaporated or such.

Does that actually happen or am I being paranoid?

DevTech    1,517

That's a good question.

I'm going to be lazy and let someone else Google it!

In your case, if you want to turn on the computer, just detach the water block from the CPU, hold it outside the case and see if you have a leak or signs of air bubbles inside the tubes...

Hopefully sealed, means sealed!

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,397

I would just personally get a new AIO or go air cooled. Erases the probability of harming your whole system....

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,113

shouldn't be any harm just firing up the PC after you check for leaks. if the liquid has 'evaporated' then the PC should auto shutoff if the heat peaks as long as the board isn't super old.

If the tubes are properly sealed and the seals haven't started to fail then I don't think the liquid can evaporate so you should be good I would think :)

• Like 2

DevTech    1,517
5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

shouldn't be any harm just firing up the PC after you check for leaks. if the liquid has 'evaporated' then the PC should auto shutoff if the heat peaks as long as the board isn't super old.

The water molecule is quite large so it seems hard to believe it would go anywhere.

Freon however wants to leak through anything and I had a "leak" once in a auto air conditioner they could never find even with high pressure tests!

And then there is Helium gas which will leak right through the steel walls of pressurized containers over a sufficient time period...

• Like 2

Circaflex    3,565

It's a closed loop, you shouldnt have any issues. Ive had custom loops sit for over a year and run without issues.

• Like 3

+Human.Online    8,546

Thank you for the replies :)

Sorry, I'd just managed to convince myself there was likely to be an issue without anything to prompt me to believe it.

Brandon H    3,113
9 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Thank you for the replies :)

Sorry, I'd just managed to convince myself there was likely to be an issue without anything to prompt me to believe it.

happens to the best of us. It's human nature to overthink situations it seems :)

• Like 1

Jim K    13,660

I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned ... the thermal protection will kick in. The water is still in there as long as you have punched any holes in it or the fittings have deteriorated.  I personally would just monitor the temps for a little bit ... it would be apparent if you have an issue or suboptimal cooling.

My AIO is about 7 or 8 years old...still works fine.

Also...be sure your fire extinguisher is a Class "C". ;)

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,546
24 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Also...be sure your fire extinguisher is a Class "C"

I'm a fire martial (who's favourite tactic is running around yelling "We're all gonna burn")

• Haha 3

sc302    1,742

"water" cooling is a mineral mix.  Think more on the lines of antifreeze and less on the lines of plain h2o.  also it is sealed....heat would cause evaporation as the h2o would turn to gas/steam and seep out.

• Like 1

Daniel F.    590

yeah as has already been said AIO's last for years most good one (corsair NZXT etc) have a  long  warranties and are made to last.

I would be more worried about whether the pump is working (you'll hear it when you turn it on) . Pump failure is much much more common than leakage  

• Like 1