• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Video pauses continuously

jamiegm08    0

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3552 and for the past week every video I play continuously pauses (I guess its buffering). It doest matter what internet Im using it pauses. I don't know if this is related but I keep having a pop-up message saying "Reconnect your Driver. Your File History drive was disconnected for too long”. I tried to do this 
Right-click on the Start menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu
Type in “chkdsk.exe /F B:” (without quotes, where B is the drive letter of your backup disk; you can find this by looking for your disk in This PC/My Computer) Press Enter and allow the command time to run.
It says cannot run because volume is being used by another process. So I clicked Id like for it to run the next restart, than restarted it.,It still says the same thing. Thanks for any help.

Mindovermaster    1,872

where are you watching these videos from? Just from YT?

Is your HDD full at all? Or perhaps you RAM is at it's limit?

A and B were usually held for floppy drives. I know, it doesn't matter anymore, but the B drive sounds like your main drive....

Dev?

Jim K    13,074

One is not related to the other.  Well, unless everything is network related ... streaming and your backup location is on a network ... and you're getting intermittent network drops at the right times.  Doubtful.

With respect to the video stuttering ... it would be helpful to know if these are local files or streaming off the internet (like YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc.)  In the meantime ... ensure all your drivers are up to date...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?app=drivers

With respect to the File Drive error ... this is a notebook.  Are you purposely backing up files onto a USB drive or similar? 

You can check your Backup setting by going to "Settings" > Update & Security > Backup

Capture.thumb.JPG.97ec608ddcc1b65faff3266bf8c7f8aa.JPG

You can click on More Options to either A) Stop using the drive (if you aren't meaning to backup files) or B) change the frequency of backups, folders, files, location, how long to keep the backups, etc.

jamiegm08    0

It happens with streaming videos other than youtube, however, it does from time to time with youtube as well.  

No its not a notebook and I'm not backing up anything. I'm not sure what Im even  backing up. Lol 

A while ago I had lost a Word document I was doing for my course project for school so I called Microsoft and a tech remotely got on my computer to find it for me and went through and clean out alot of "trash" he said and it was about then when i staryed getting the backup notices. Not sure if that has anything to do with it just thought id add that incase it could.  

Jim K    13,074

ahh...desktop (the Inspiron got me ... I've usually associated that with their notebooks and forget about the desktops).  

The steps would still be the same with respect to File History in my previous comment.  

Hopefully you actually called Microsoft and not a scammer.

Zagadka    4,034

Really weird to have a B drive... Tried "chkdsk.exe /F C: " instead?

May I ask what programs you have running in the system tray (the icons in the lower right)? And antivirus and browser version? I see that the model you said has either 2, 4, or 8 GB of RAM, do you know which you have?

jamiegm08    0

I called Office support, lol  and my computer is a laptop. 

I ran the disk check with using chkdsk but since I know nothing about computers I don't know what it says  Im uploading a screenshot of what it says if someone could decode it for me lol

Screenshot (28).png

Jim K    13,074

You just ran chkdsk on your main drive ... which isn't the issue (though it came up clean).

...and what does  "Settings" > Update & Security > Backup

show?

Also, it would appear that there are some recent driver updates for your particular model...as in the last few months.

jamiegm08    0

Mindovermaster, I watch them from everywhere Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, Amazon ,Youtube and alot of documentary sites. (really anywhere I can watch documentaries lol)  Im not sure what an HDD is and I don't think my RAM is full I have 8 gb and just got the computer in Jan the only thing I save is stuff for school. And I'm sorry I don't have a B drive it is C lol 

jamiegm08    0

Screenshot (29).png

jamiegm08    0

I just got another one telling me to restore my backup

Screenshot (31).png

jamiegm08    0

Zagadka, I just have them pinned there they aren't running, It's PowerPoint and Word for school the other ones are chrome, fie explorer, microsoft app store, the windows for setting and a screen recorder. I have whatever Antivirus that came on it McAfee I think is what it is and I use Chrome for browser.

DevTech    1,517

Part of me wonders about this thread - Not knowing the difference between a desktop computer and a laptop might be a bit over the top.

1. The File History is a Windows 10 feature that uses an external drive and maybe whatever drive was being used got yanked out before completion.

2. The video playback stuttering sounds like a classic CODEC issue - some codecs just suck.  Download and install KLite Mega - use default install.

2.B) or it could be CPU or DISK or Network pegged so run Perf Mon during playback and it will watch those resources to see what is happening.

+warwagon    12,949

Sounds to me like "whoever" she called, set up "Back up using File History " to an external drive (such as a flash drive) and she has since unplugged it. I would just turn "Automatically back up my files" off. Possible that whenever that message appears it is interfering with video playback somehow. Or plug in an empty usb flash drive and try to make it happy.

I would also check to see if Mcafee has since expired as it's usually a trial version on New Pc's. So unless you subscribed for a subscription it has probably expired, right click on the start menu (icon in the bottom left)  and select "apps and features" and then uninstall it.

How long has it been since the computer has been restarted? Not turned off and turned back on but actually restarted by selecting "restart?" If it's been a while, maybe before the videos started not working, a restart might fix something that started going goofy.

jamiegm08    0

this is a screen recording of a video I was trying to watch on HBO Now , 

jamiegm08    0

I did use a flash drive to put files for school on it so I could delete them from my computer a while back. 

Im not sure about bad coding is the stuff I watch from Netflix or any of those types coded? 

My McAfee is good until Jan 2020 and I always have it turned on and I restart it everyday. I shut it down when Im not using it.

'