• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Firefox Suddenly Disables My Add-Ons

Question

LesterFlatt    1
Posted (edited)

I read today where Mozilla was going to not except add-ons with obscurated (sp) code. They said they were going to give the developers a period of time to correct their code and then would disable the ones that haven't complied.

I was just in my Firefox browser and suddenly all my add-ins were disabled and at the top a message said that they couldn't be verified. These were HTTPS Everywhere, DuckDuck Go Privacy Essentials, Ublock Origin and several more. Did this happen to anyone else? I have been frustrated in the past with Mozilla's support in the past which is why I came here. 

EDIT: I'm attaching a screen shot of a few that are showing up on the top.

firefoxextensions.jpg

Edited by LesterFlatt
Added the attachment
  • Like 1

21 answers to this question

Moonian    83
Posted (edited)

Don't think it's a corrupted profile thing (I got some of the extensions disabled too, same as OP's situations):

- Tried to replace the profile files from a backup. It did work for a moment, and then suddenly they got disabled yet again.

- Tried to download uBlock origin to replace the disabled Adblock Plus, but the "Download failed" error popped up.

P.S. In the comments section of the affected extensions, there're also similiar reports like this, just within a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,141

Works fine for me. Try reinstalling your plugins from firefox site.

LesterFlatt    1
7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Works fine for me. Try reinstalling your plugins from firefox site.

I attached a screenshot above. I don't think this is right. They would never disable all of them (unless it was a mistake or my browser was compromised). I'm running full Bitdefender scan at the moment.

+warwagon    13,102

Yes, try reinstalling them. if they still don't work you could have a corrupt firefox profile. so try to create a new one and try it again.

you can create a new one by doing the following

press windows key + R or right click on the start button and select run. now type firefox /p and press enter. This will let you create a new profile right alongside your old one. Try creating a new profile and try your extensions again.

This won't erase your old profile unless you tell firefox to delete it. You can switch between your current one and your new one at any time by repeating the firefox /p and selecting which profile you wish to load.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,141
10 minutes ago, LesterFlatt said:

I attached a screenshot above. I don't think this is right. They would never disable all of them (unless it was a mistake or my browser was compromised). I'm running full Bitdefender scan at the moment.

I use uBlock Orgin and LastPass plugins no problems. Do what Wagon said. This should help you.

LesterFlatt    1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I use uBlock Orgin and LastPass plugins no problems. Do what Wagon said. This should help you.

I tried my default profile and created a new profile and got the message below both times. Then I downloaded a 1mg file from my cloud drive with no problems.

duckduckextension.jpg

RTWO    0

I too have this problem. Creating a new profile as it was suggested did not help. I can't seem to download any plugins at all. Keeps telling me to check my connection without any other hints

LesterFlatt    1

I just thought of something (I don't know this to be true). Maybe the add-ons are checked periodically for validation while the user is using the browser. Maybe it's on their end that the connection couldn't be made. When the add-on's weren't verified they were automatically disabled. Just a shot in the dark.

Denver_80203    2
Posted (edited)

I was also hit with this.  Just ran upstairs and disabled auto-update on the other laptop.  Adblock plus, add bookmark here, mouse gestures... all gone and not available to reinstall.  I'm running 66.0.3 .not sure what my other machine updated to.  Glad to here this might be temporary but I wonder if all developers will comply.

-edit... I was replying to the original theory -'update or stay disabled',  encouraged to hear this might be a bug.  Can't believe that Mozilla wouldn't warn ahead of time, generated a lot of press.

Edited by Denver_80203

medhunter    33
6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

These are my exact problem . FF66 on Manjaro

Mindovermaster    2,141

66.0.2 on Mint 19.1, no issues. Like said above, it is a known bug. They'll get on it in time.

eilegz    104

they really screw it up... as a backup im using my old but functional 52ESR meanwhile until they fix it....

+virtorio    3,128

What, did someone at Mozilla un-trust one of the certificates along their chain-of-trust?

Prithwish Das    35
2 hours ago, LesterFlatt said:

I read today where Mozilla was going to not except add-ons with obscurated (sp) code. They said they were going to give the developers a period of time to correct their code and then would disable the ones that haven't complied.

I was just in my Firefox browser and suddenly all my add-ins were disabled and at the top a message said that they couldn't be verified. These were HTTPS Everywhere, DuckDuck Go Privacy Essentials, Ublock Origin and several more. Did this happen to anyone else? I have been frustrated in the past with Mozilla's support in the past which is why I came here. 

firefoxextensions.jpg

Same here. 

Annotation 2019-05-04 093453.png

Moonian    83

Now switched to Dev Edition + disabled signature check before Firefox can kill my extensions yet again.😡

Xahid    5,330
5 hours ago, LesterFlatt said:

firefoxextensions.jpg

Same here, And when I try to install the plug-ins, it says "Download failed. Please check your connection"

goretsky    1,049

Hello,

It should be fixed in Mozilla Firefox 66.0.4, which you can update to manually by selecting Help|About Firefox from the main menu bar.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Xahid    5,330
5 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

It should be fixed in Mozilla Firefox 66.0.4, which you can update to manually by selecting Help|About Firefox from the main menu bar.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Its already fixed without update 66.0.4