• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Windows 10 May 2019 Update; when will it be publically available?

kiddingguy    49

I'm not sure if, and if so, this is the right way/thread to ask, but when do you guys think Microsoft will officially release the 2019H1/May update?

Date & time 😀

Will it be next week on Patch Tuesday, or another day somewhere this month?

adrynalyne    11,066
21 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I'm not sure if, and if so, this is the right way/thread to ask, but when do you guys think Microsoft will officially release the 2019H1/May update?

Date & time 😀

Will it be next week on Patch Tuesday, or another day somewhere this month?

I wouldn’t expect it before the last Tuesday of the month. No I have no inside knowledge, just a theory. 

George P    5,059

I also think it'll be towards the end of the month.    I think they want to double check and make sure they don't run into another issue like with 1809.     It's fun to guess though.

Zagadka    3,965

The real question is "how long after it is publicly available should you trust it"

• Like 1

Xenon    4,812
15 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The real question is "how long after it is publicly available should you trust it"

I think on my non critical machine I am gonna do it release day. My work notebook, might wait a while. There does seem to be a lot more testing than the last couple of releases. 

George P    5,059
44 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Good question, but this is the first update they've had in release preview for this long I think.   You could always roll back at least.

goretsky    1,003

Hello,

I don't think there's been any announcement yet about when it will be generally available to the public.  Windows 10 Version 1903 (19H1) still has not appeared on the Windows 10 ISO download site for consumers or Microsoft's Volume Servicing License Center (VSLC) that I'm aware of.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

adrynalyne    11,066
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I don't think there's been any announcement yet about when it will be generally available to the public.  Windows 10 Version 1903 (19H1) still has not appeared on the Windows 10 ISO download site for consumers or Microsoft's Volume Servicing License Center (VSLC) that I'm aware of.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It’s been on msdn for weeks.  VSLC usually gets it before. 

George P    5,059
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Which was a surprise at the time it hit MSDN, but I think it's just to get it out for more testing.

kiddingguy    49
3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I don't have MSDN access 😕

adrynalyne    11,066
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, George P said:

Which was a surprise at the time it hit MSDN, but I think it's just to get it out for more testing.

Perhaps but msdn is not known as a testing platform in that manner without labeling it as a preview, rc, etc. it acts more as a soft launch as they don’t alert you to it being new at all. You have to go looking for it. 

Edited by adrynalyne

adrynalyne    11,066
3 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I don't have MSDN access 😕

I’m not implying you need to or did either. I was just point out how that usually works. 

This release is definitely not following the typical methods of deployment. 

goretsky    1,003

Hello,

I was under the impression that upgraded Windows versions were usually released on MSDN before VSLC so that developers could test their code against the new builds of the operating system before enterprise customers began mass deployments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Erikas    41
On 5/7/2019 at 7:10 PM, Zagadka said:

I guess I am one of the lucky few who always update right away to latest feature update and never have any problems. I hope I didn't jinx it right now.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    11,066
5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I was under the impression that upgraded Windows versions were usually released on MSDN before VSLC so that developers could test their code against the new builds of the operating system before enterprise customers began mass deployments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No. The last several builds have released to VSLC first. I know this because I had to bug my boss to give me a copy because it wasn’t on msdn yet 😉

goretsky    1,003

Hello,

That is just... odd, to me.  If I were an enterprise, I would want vendors verifying and confirming that their software works with the new build before I began deploying it.  But the Windows 10 release cadence has been weird.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 5/10/2019 at 6:00 AM, adrynalyne said:

No. The last several builds have released to VSLC first. I know this because I had to bug my boss to give me a copy because it wasn’t on msdn yet 😉

xendrome    5,270

Is 18362.86 the build on MSDN?

Tost    0

Patch Tuesady? in May? I don't think so

adrynalyne    11,066
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tost said:

Patch Tuesady? in May? I don't think so

Why not?

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Is 18362.86 the build on MSDN?

No. .30 is; anything else will be a CU. MS doesn’t make “rtm” ISO’s include CUs. 

J_Brown    0

I`ve get fresh updates two days ago, probably it is the update everyone is speaking about. There is a question about it: are there any personalisation changes? Somewhere I saw information that the new update would add white theme, but than haven`t find it after update. Could it depend on any personal issues or all users obtain the same updates?

adrynalyne    11,066
21 minutes ago, J_Brown said:

I`ve get fresh updates two days ago, probably it is the update everyone is speaking about. There is a question about it: are there any personalisation changes? Somewhere I saw information that the new update would add white theme, but than haven`t find it after update. Could it depend on any personal issues or all users obtain the same updates?

Unless you are on an insider channel, you didn’t get this. 

Tost    0
14 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Why not?

No. .30 is; anything else will be a CU. MS doesn’t make “rtm” ISO’s include CUs. 

we will see 😁

xendrome    5,270
9 hours ago, Tost said:

we will see 😁

Well he's right, i just wasn't sure which build was the RTM.

George P    5,059

I think this week will be telling, we're heading into the middle of the month, so if newer versions pick up then we're closer to a release.  I expect another 2 release preview builds at this point.