Desktop and dust

I was wondering what you guys are doing from preventing the desktop/gaming rig from preventing and eating too much dust?

I mean, I can clean-air the 'box' once in a while, but do you guys take precautions, like having some sort of standard, books or whatever as to place it like 10 cm above the ground?

And if so, what are good products/methods to do so?

I don't think you can prevent the dust from desktop, all you can do is, clean it up every month or whenever you think its suitable time. with compressed air or Blower.

i have dust covers on all my intake fans and clean my system regularly. Also keeping the area clean around the pc is important too (i.e hovering the room)

Don't smoke or allow pets on or near the PC as well

• Like 2

So, for one reason or another, I have ended up with about 10 computers which I run 24/7 for various reasons, including the aesthetic one that I like my digital friends to be continually "alive"

So, the air can is your friend, but I have discovered that simply placing the towers on top of the various desks REALLY reduces the dust build-up and also makes it easier to notice any dust, so yeah, it is slightly more noise which means over time I locate better fans and increase integrated water coolers.

Trade-off = BIG reduction in dust vs SMALL increase in noise/desk space...

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

So, for one reason or another, I have ended up with about 10 computers which I run 24/7 for various reasons, including the aesthetic one that I like my digital friends to be continually "alive"

So, the air can is your friend, but I have discovered that simply placing the towers on top of the various desks REALLY reduces the dust build-up and also makes it easier to notice any dust, so yeah, it is slightly more noise which means over time I locate better fans and increase integrated water coolers.

Trade-off = BIG reduction in dust vs SMALL increase in noise/desk space...

So, a wooden block or something alike to lift up will help 😄

3 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I have tried that in the past and it does not help much - very slight effect.

Now desk height is around 2.5 feet so is there a height between 6" and 30" that works? I don't know, but I would imagine that if 30" is too hard to enact, then 15" might be an interesting experiment?

Just do the compressed air every now and then ... or a PC safe vacuum.  The difference between dust sitting on the floor, on the desk, hanging from ceiling will be negligible in the grand scheme of things.  Our desktops and notebooks in Iraq were in the harshest dust/fine coarse sand environment and did fine ... shooting compressed air in them once a month was like expelling a decade’s worth of dust/sand. 

So, yea ... just blast it with air every once in a while.  

I have dust filters on all my FractalDesign cases. Clean them out about once a month.

There is so little condensation that comes out of a compressor it is irrelevant to computer parts.  To power tools, being that the internals are made of iron/steel they are a bit more susceptible.  There is more condensation that forms on your laptop or computer when you bring it in from the outside during a 20 degree change, esp going from cold to warm but most don’t think about that.  You will get about as much condensation out of that blower as you would out of a shop compressor.  The levels of water would be the same.  It takes a long time to fill a water separator on a shop compressor. People over think things way too much, it isn’t dripping water when it blows air out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, farmeunit said:

It's nice to have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Bonus-Electric-500-Watt-Computer-Electronics/dp/B071LQSXGD/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=computer+blower&qid=1557493707&s=gateway&sr=8-16

or 

https://www.canlessair.com/

You don't have to worry about condensation or the cold hand thing.  Especially if you use it often.

I think @warwagonuses something like the above one :)

Edit: We used to have a shop vacuum when I was volunteering at a computer place.

5 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

The discussion has devolved into the usual love fest of "My Leaf Blower is Bigger Than Yours" reminding me of that song with the line "the same as it ever was"  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8)

My point is that you still need an air can, but far less irritatingly often if you just get the computer off the floor onto a desk!

I have ZERO knowledge of running computers in desert sand storms, tropical typhoons, rising sea waters, on a ship, in a space station, at the Arctic Circle, huge wild fires induced by Climate Change, on a Camel Caravan or with Green Eggs and Ham so experiences may vary...

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

I have ZERO knowledge of running computers in desert sand storms, tropical typhoons, rising sea waters, on a ship, in a space station, at the Arctic Circle, huge wild fires induced by Climate Change, on a Camel Caravan or with Green Eggs and Ham so experiences may vary...

Or fish? 🤣

The discussion has devolved into the usual love fest of "My Leaf Blower is Bigger Than Yours" reminding me of that song with the line "the same as it ever was"  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8)

My point is that you still need an air can, but far less irritatingly often if you just get the computer off the floor onto a desk!

My issue is uneducated “because it has a water separator” or you hear/see mechanics have a water separator it must spit out so much water that it would effect your computer.  When you blow on computer parts you are spitting out more fluid/saliva than a compressor would ever produce in 6 months.   More fud in that topic than many other things posted on this site. 

Point is ... it doesn't really matter. On the floor ... on a desk ... at the end of the day (week, month, year) just shoot some air through it. I've never put my desktop on my desk top ;) ... mostly because it would take up a lot of space. Primary concern with placement of a computer (aside from convenience) is it being able to breath (not in an enclosed area).

Mocking the "desert sand storms" ... while none of our medical systems at Balad were subjected to sand storms (that I recall) ... they worked without fail in a dusty and sandy environment...even those on the floor.  Periodic care was needed ... as it is with any computer.

The OP asked what you do and any precautions ... to which I answered "compressed air every now and then" ... that is all.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Point is ... it doesn't really matter. On the floor ... on a desk ... at the end of the day (week, month, year) just shoot some air through it. I've never put my desktop on my desk top ;) ... mostly because it would take up a lot of space. Primary concern with placement of a computer (aside from convenience) is it being able to breath (not in an enclosed area).

Mocking the "desert sand storms" ... while none of our medical systems at Balad were subjected to sand storms (that I recall) ... they worked without fail in a dusty and sandy environment...even those on the floor.  Periodic care was needed ... as it is with any computer.

The OP asked what you do and any precautions ... to which I answered "compressed air every now and then" ... that is all.

I started out by saying an air can is your friend so I agree with you completely there.

But I also discovered that I can save myself some time by cutting the frequency of that task in half and was mildly and hopefully humorously addressing your "it doesn't matter" part of it.

Some people might enjoy saving a bit of time, some people might enjoy any excuse to pull on the starter cord of their leaf blower and kill some dust bunnies! :)

But anyone who has had kids, sooner or later has to eat a plate of Green Eggs and Ham - Tastes the same says Sam I Am, but I'm not so sure the eyeballs don't have an influence on the taste buds...

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Or fish? 🤣

Well as part of the whole making reading fun for the young ones, doing the Green Eggs and Ham ritual with a boatload of green food dye is quite common. Despite being tasteless, I personally have never known anyone to make this effort more than once in their lifetime!

But for me, I would draw the line at Fish...

Sam I AM, I will not eat Fish.

Not in a dish.

Not if you wish.

Certainly not if it goes Plish!

Not if it is Green, or with a Bean.

Fish that Swim, Or Fish in a Jungle Jim.

Or Fish That Fly, I will not fry.

I will not try. And that says I.

From the sea, not for me!

Not that I recommend this for everyone, or any particular environment.. but all my cases (minus the laptop) are open.

Why?

Well.. it actually prevents dust accumulating as much as a closed case does.  Air flow, and air pressure (with the fans actually pulling in the air; dust settles at ground level) are the main causes of dust collection in a system.  Too much of either can have a negative effect, and as my experience in building or repairing systems, closed cases have had much more dust build up then my open cases ever had.  Keeping in mind, that any open case needs to be away from any possible liquid spills, it also makes it easier to just walk over, spray it a few seconds with compressed air, and be done with it.  Quicker turn around times if it needs to be shut down, parts removed and cleaned as well.

Like I said, my personal preference.. so, not for everyone.

Edit:  As a friendly reminder, never, ever use a vacuum to clean out a computer.  The static build up common with plastic vacuum hoses will fry a system faster than you can say.. "oh s**t!"

12 hours ago, farmeunit said:

It's nice to have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Bonus-Electric-500-Watt-Computer-Electronics/dp/B071LQSXGD/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=computer+blower&qid=1557493707&s=gateway&sr=8-16

or 

https://www.canlessair.com/

You don't have to worry about condensation or the cold hand thing.  Especially if you use it often.

Yep, but take the small tip off and use the big one. It doesn't have to work as hard, plus it moves more air. I love that thing. By the time you are done the most dusty desktop will look like brand new.