• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which laptop would you choose to buy?

ranasrule    73

I need a laptop for home(gaming isnt a big deal for me by I do play sometimes) and official use(mainly need to run VS 2017). I can get the following for roughly the same price. If it were up to you which one would you choose:

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c05226622 (with 4k display and ssd)

or

https://www.shophive.com/acer-17-3-aspire-5

DevTech    1,517
28 minutes ago, ranasrule said:

mainly need to run VS 2017

- That still covers a large range - what sort of development?

- Windows 10 Pro is preferred in order to enable Hyper-V which VS 2017 and VS 2019 use in various scenarios

- Hyper-V is also needed to enable Windows Containers support

28 minutes ago, ranasrule said:

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c05226622 (with 4k display and ssd)

Link does not resolve to anything

29 minutes ago, ranasrule said:

2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX 150
Intel Core i5 8th Gen 1.6 / 3.4 Ghz Processor,i5-8250U
17.3" FHD Screen

8 GB RAM,

256GB SSD

No Optical Drive,

4 Cell
Webcam, Bluetooth, WiFi, Back-lit K/B, Windows 10 Home

Mindovermaster    2,361
23 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Link does not resolve to anything

Think he meant this : https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c05226622

DevTech    1,517

IDEA: Used XPS 15

Looking at your local website, this item caught my eye:

https://www.shophive.com/dell-xps-15-9593

Which is one year older than the 9570

It might exceed your budget but that and the even older 9550 are excellent Dev laptops and you may be able to find them on the used market...

Other Interesting Models:

https://www.shophive.com/acer-nitro-5

https://www.shophive.com/dell-inspiron-g5-5587-15-gaming-laptop

DevTech    1,517
12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 17-w033dx - W2N44UA

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ 

12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD

SuperMulti DVD burner

17.3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

120 W AC power adapter

6-cell, 62 Wh Li-ion

Windows 10 Home 64

And:

" (with 4k display and ssd)"

DevTech    1,517

So now that we have specs that everyone can see:

1. Either one will need an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro which can often be found online for about $40

2. The HP has 4K LCD, more RAM, better battery

3. The HP also has 2 DIMM slots which means it can go to 64 gigs of RAM - Acer unknown so far

4. The HP has an optical drive which means it can be yanked out and replaced with another hard drive for larger storage

5. 17" 4K displays are not common and could be quite a nice thing to have 

So far, the HP wins by a landslide...

LaP    2,177
Posted (edited)

I wont talk about the linked laptops cause i don't have much time but i'll recommend this.

If this is mainly for coding i would avoid resolutions lower than 1080p and very small screens. Get one with Windows 10 pro. If you game from time to time i would avoid Intel iGPU. I would avoid Acer at all cost. Even if you don't use the optical drive try to get one with an optical drive that can be replaced by an extra ssd. Try to get one with easy access to ram slots and at least two ram slots.

I can't talk about the current ProBook and EliteBook lineup but i have a 5 years old ProBook and it served me very well. I can open it and replace the ssd and ram without using any tools. I was able to add more storage by replacing the optical drive. Very good build quality. My only complain is it did not have a dedicated GPU and Intel iGPU really really sucks like it's awful.

Edited by LaP

LaP    2,177
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DevTech said:

OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 17-w033dx - W2N44UA

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ 

12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD

SuperMulti DVD burner

17.3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

120 W AC power adapter

6-cell, 62 Wh Li-ion

Windows 10 Home 64

And:

" (with 4k display and ssd)"

Hard drive needs to be replaced day one though. 5400 rpm just doesn't cut it anymore specially if he's working with npm and git and big visual studio projects.

Mindovermaster    2,361

I'm not exactly sure what VS needs. (I mean I used VS 2000 back in college...)

But have you looked into any of the Lenovo desktops?

DevTech    1,517
2 minutes ago, LaP said:

Hard drive needs to be replaced day one though. 5400 rpm just doesn't cut it anymore specially if he's working with npm and git and big visual studio projects.

I copied the specs from the link that @Mindovermasterrepaired.

I noted at the end that the OP posted that link with the comment that the HD was replaced by a SSD and the 1920 x 1080 FHD screen was replaced by a 4K screen which is bothering me because the time period for that laptop (6700HQ Era) had no 4K 17 inch screens available but it's unclear in general.

DevTech    1,517
4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm not exactly sure what VS needs. (I mean I used VS 2000 back in college...)

But have you looked into any of the Lenovo desktops?

OP: "I need a laptop for home(gaming isnt a big deal for me by I do play sometimes) and official use"

Guessing by official, he means work and that transporting a Lenovo Desktop back and forth will be challenging...

DevTech    1,517
8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm not exactly sure what VS needs

A FULL install of VS2017 uses over 100 Gigs of disk which is a KILLER if you have a 512 gig SSD boot drive.

If he can use VS 2019, then there is better allocation to a secondary drive, which is why a laptop with a second internal hard drive is very useful.

Also, the new Visual Studios are organized around "workloads" so depending on his answer to the question about what he needs it for, the install may be a lot less. Hard to say, everything these days is a gig or more and it adds up - Example: install a workload that uses Python and you get Anaconda sucked in:

https://repo.anaconda.com/archive/Anaconda3-2019.03-Windows-x86_64.exe

And so on for the zillion things Visual Studio is capable of doing.

So,

#1 - the disk space requirement is NASTY in these days of SSD drives that are still NOT CHEAP in 1 TB to 4 TB sizes...

#2 - the CPU requirements are less than previous versions as a lot of work has gone into making it "lean and mean"

#3 - the RAM requirements are going to vary depending on workload, but will be 8 gigs and UP, WAY UP, depending on VM usage...

#4 - the GPU requirements will depend on workload type, although VS will take advantage of GPU acceleration if available.

#5 - dev work is rarely done in isolation, i.e. depending on what is being developed lots of other tools might be required such as Game Engines, 3D Modeling tools, 2D graphics and video editors, Kubernetes Cluster simulation and other Docker configs, GPU accelerated Machine Learning that actually might want to have a GTX 2080 in it, etc etc.

• Thanks 1

Mindovermaster    2,361
11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

A FULL install of VS2017 uses over 100 Gigs of disk which is a KILLER if you have a 512 gig SSD boot drive.

If he can use VS 2019, then there is better allocation to a secondary drive, which is why a laptop with a second internal hard drive is very useful.

Also, the new Visual Studios are organized around "workloads" so depending on his answer to the question about what he needs it for, the install may be a lot less. Hard to say, everything these days is a gig or more and it adds up - Example: install a workload that uses Python and you get Anaconda sucked in:

https://repo.anaconda.com/archive/Anaconda3-2019.03-Windows-x86_64.exe

And so on for the zillion things Visual Studio is capable of doing.

So,

#1 - the disk space requirement is NASTY in these days of SSD drives that are still NOT CHEAP in 1 TB to 4 TB sizes...

#2 - the CPU requirements are less than previous versions as a lot of work has gone into making it "lean and mean"

#3 - the RAM requirements are going to vary depending on workload, but will be 8 gigs and UP, WAY UP, depending on VM usage...

#4 - the GPU requirements will depend on workload type, although VS will take advantage of GPU acceleration if available.

#5 - dev work is rarely done in isolation, i.e. depending on what is being developed lots of other tools might be required such as Game Engines, 3D Modeling tools, 2D graphics and video editors, Kubernetes Cluster simulation and other Docker configs, GPU accelerated Machine Learning that actually might want to have a GTX 2080 in it, etc etc.

OK, thx, man. Guess things change in 15-20 years... :laugh:

30 minutes ago, DevTech said:

OP: "I need a laptop for home(gaming isnt a big deal for me by I do play sometimes) and official use"

Guessing by official, he means work and that transporting a Lenovo Desktop back and forth will be challenging...

I meant laptops, sorry. Didn't know where my head was at that point...

DevTech    1,517
4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I meant laptops, sorry. Didn't know where my head was at that point...

Yeah, figured that, I was being goofy. We all had too much Green Eggs and Fish!

ranasrule    73

Thanks for your replies everyone. Ive decided to go with the HP Omen.

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
17 hours ago, ranasrule said:

Thanks for your replies everyone. Ive decided to go with the HP Omen.

If you can remember, when you get your unit, post back with some info about that 4K 17 inch screen which sounds very very nice - never seen one of those...

The 6700HQ is a very nice CPU that will handle dev work just fine.

The HP has a 4 gig RAM and an 8 gig RAM module so try to replace them as money permits - you can replace the 4 with a 16 and then later on you can replace the 8 with a 16....

The optical drive can be removed and replaced with a "caddy" that holds a 2.5 inch SSD or Hard drive.

There is a chance there might also be a M.2 slot inside it....

You can end up with a very powerful dev laptop.

Also the Power Adapter is 120 watts but sometimes (not always) that can be upgraded as well to prevent the laptop from slowing down at peak usage. All those laptops you see around you with small power adapters can't run any faster than the power they are getting! Apple laptops are really bad for that.

It is a long explanation but keep an eye on power usage during long gaming sessions, since if the power adapter is not quite large enough, the battery will have to cycle like crazy to try and make up the difference which drastically shortens battery life. All 100% gaming utilization on ALL laptops will have this problem, but many people don't find out about it until their battery dies! There are even Alienware laptops with 220 watt power supplies that will kill the battery unless you upgrade to a 330 watt power supply, so it's an industry wide problem...

• Like 1