• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Will my laptop be`able to take full advantage of a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD?

ranasrule    73

Will my laptop be`able to take full advantage of a Samsung 250GB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD? My laptop model is a HP OMEN Laptop PC - 17-w033dx and I found the following info appears to me to confirm that the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD will work fine but Im not a 100% sure :

"This Machine Supports Single or Dual Drive Configurations (One 2.5 Inch Drive + One M.2 NGFF (2280) Solid State Drive) Also Note This Machine Supports M.2 NGFF (2280) SATA III or PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Solid State Drives"

xendrome    5,524

according to that statement yes.

• Like 2

Mindovermaster    2,363

Looks like so, yeah...

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
13 hours ago, ranasrule said:

Will my laptop be`able to take full advantage of a Samsung 250GB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD? My laptop model is a HP OMEN Laptop PC - 17-w033dx and I found the following info appears to me to confirm that the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD will work fine but Im not a 100% sure :

"This Machine Supports Single or Dual Drive Configurations (One 2.5 Inch Drive + One M.2 NGFF (2280) Solid State Drive) Also Note This Machine Supports M.2 NGFF (2280) SATA III or PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Solid State Drives"

My reference thread:

So, yes to NVMe drive - welcome to the future!

Try to get a 512 gig drive instead of 256 gig for 2 reasons:

1. Due to drive design the speed goes up as the drives get larger, but these is usually a big difference from 256 to 512 and then a smaller improvement from 512 to 1 TB

2. With Visual Studio and other dev tools a 256 gig footprint will be hard to manage

------------

The Adata XPG SX8200 Pro is very fast and might be affordable at 512 compared to Samsung

Otherwise seek out the Samsung 970 EVO Plus - the new "plus" pushes the performance past a Pro and is the same price as the regular 970 EVO

goretsky    1,053

Hello,

It should work fine.  Remember to update your HP OMEN 17-w033dx notebook computer to the latest UEFI (BIOS) firmware available for it to ensure there are no compatibility issues (there usually aren't, but it is a good idea to periodically check that the latest is installed).  Also, be sure to check with the manufacturer of whatever NVMe drive you end up purchasing for updated firmware, too, as they sometimes can have compatibility or performance issues that are solved by these, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1