• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Average life of a notebook

kiddingguy    49

I have an Asus N750JV (bought February 2014, so 5 years old now).

The first 2,5 years I have used this notebook for "office work" and the latest 2,5 years I also have played games (incl. the latest Anno 1800) on it.

The notebook is running hot lately (might be CPU/coolpaste related), or maybe it's just getting old.

Or maybe Windows 10, and some installed software, are too heavy for the hardware?

What is an "average"/decent lifetime for a notebook, which is used almost on a daily basis?

Som    410

i always say about 5 years, although the higher the spec the longer the life

xendrome    5,262

3-5 years, if you are asking about hardware life and if it is taken care of. Even then it could last longer.

Brandon H    2,605

besides the CPU paste you could also open it up to make sure dust hasn't started clogging up the fans or anything and clean that out to see if it helps as well.

not needed as often as a tower but is still good to clean dust out of laptops every now and then to keep proper airflow for cooling.

if there's a fan it could be starting to die out as well pushing less air than it used to at that age / amount of use.

I'd agree with the above as well that 3-5 years is a pretty good/average lifespan of a laptop :)

kiddingguy    49
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

besides the CPU paste you could also open it up to make sure dust hasn't started clogging up the fans or anything and clean that out to see if it helps as well.

(...)

I'd agree with the above as well that 3-5 years is a pretty good/average lifespan of a laptop :)

Yes, already did that. Still producing heat.

3-5 years, huh? So might look for a replacement 😁

• Like 1

Brandon H    2,605
2 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

even producing more heat it should last a good while longer as long as things don't start failing/crashing

you could get a fan pad to place it on to help with the heat; would be a cheaper solution if you're not quite ready to upgrade yet :)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+fan+cooling+pad&crid=B61M7UL5MKTH&sprefix=laptop+fa%2Caps%2C213&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

Jim K    12,478

Eh.  My old L501x (XPS 15) still works great after 7-8 years.

I would say indefinitely (for routine/non-gaming) with current hardware/general software (in other words, I find it hard to apply a timeframe).  

• Like 1

Xenon    4,783

I usually keep mine about a year to 18 months. But not because of wear or tear. There are some specific things that i do that I need a fast cpu/gpu. So I upgrade when I think its worth it. I have no idea how long mine last before they go kaput. I usually give my old ones to family or friends. I should probably just break down and get a razor gaming notebook. That would probably last me a few years. 

Brandon H    2,605
4 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I usually keep mine about a year to 18 months. But not because of wear or tear. There are some specific things that i do that I need a fast cpu/gpu. So I upgrade when I think its worth it. I have no idea how long mine last before they go kaput. I usually give my old ones to family or friends. I should probably just break down and get a razor gaming notebook. That would probably last me a few years. 

I'd be happy to take one of your hand-me-downs if you're offering :p

lol but I wish I had the money to be able to upgrade that often

Xenon    4,783
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

I'd be happy to take one of your hand-me-downs if you're offering :p

lol but I wish I had the money to be able to upgrade that often

Its paid for by the family business. If I had to directly pay for it, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. I do build and pay for my own desktops.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,443
1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

Although I get a certain enjoyment from imagining the computers that play an important role in our lives, each have their own unique personality, they are composed of hardware tech components, not VooDoo.

So, whatever is causing the overheating can be solved. If you have cleaned out the dust from the fins and fan blades and have a fresh coat of Arctic Silver then the cause is elsewhere.

One trend that has accelerated over the last 5 years is GPU acceleration by default in the Browser. You could experiment by turning that OFF in the browsers you are using. Also if you are using Chrome, turn OFF the "run in background" setting that can cause it to take up permanent residence in your running processes in a very unfriendly way.

sc302    1,662

5 years is about right for computers in general.  

As things age they get hotter.  Other things to try, replace the cooling fan/heatsink assembly and see if it will run cooler for you.  As new softwares come out, they may tax the processor more causing it to heat up more than before.  This can either be planned obsolescence or it could be that newer softwares have newer demands, these softwares can include OS updates not just the applications you install, and newer computers won't get hit as hard because they are already working at a higher speed to be able to process faster.  

+warwagon    12,684

Every one of my laptops that I use on a regular basis, shipped with WIndow 7 originally. Most of them are from customers who didn't want to put any money into them and just gave them to me. The others are ones I've purchased on eBay (mainly the HP Probook). Long story short I've never actually purchased a new laptop. Every laptop I have is rocking an SSD, and are just fine for everything except games.

Yogurth    2,189

Seems like Lenovo laptops hold really well,...at least mine is living up to their reputation rather great. Y510p bought in October of 2013 with i7 4700HQ and Gtx 755m.

Added 8GB of RAM and 256 GB M.2 SSD in the meantime. Battery capacity is still at 92% even though it is plugged in 95% of the time due to built in battery conservation mode which holds the charge between 55 and 60% at all times. Keyboard is still as new apart from "D" key which has an 1mmx1mm area peeled off. Y510p has a metal dust filter which prevents most of the dust getting in but for whatever does come through it the fan has a built in "dust removal" mode which pushes it to the max for few minutes blowing out the particles out.

All in all an impressive build quality from Lenovo.

• Like 1

Xenon    4,783
1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

Seems like Lenovo laptops hold really well,...at least mine is living up to their reputation rather great. Y510p bought in October of 2013 with i7 4700HQ and Gtx 755m.

Added 8GB of RAM and 256 GB M.2 SSD in the meantime. Battery capacity is still at 92% even though it is plugged in 95% of the time due to built in battery conservation mode which holds the charge between 55 and 60% at all times. Keyboard is still as new apart from "D" key which has an 1mmx1mm area peeled off. Y510p has a metal dust filter which prevents most of the dust getting in but for whatever does come through it the fan has a built in "dust removal" mode which pushes it to the max for few minutes blowing out the particles out.

All in all an impressive build quality from Lenovo.

Right now I think Lenovo thinkpads are the best general business notebooks out. They are tough and the best keyboard in any notebook.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,696
59 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Right now I think Lenovo thinkpads are the best general business notebooks out. They are tough and the best keyboard in any notebook.

The TrackPoint is nice too. IIRC, no other company makes it. Before or After...

• Like 1