• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Diagnosing faulty Ethernet controller

capr    36

Hi everyone, I have a new Aurora 8 PC from Alienware and am having some issues with connectivity while hardwired. 

I noticed the problem while playing Warframe when I would randomly get disconnected form other players. I updated drivers and filed tickets with Warframe to try and fix the issue. After a couple of weeks of failing, I disabled the "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" and enabled the "Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11AC Wireless Adapter". I have been using the wireless adapter for 3 weeks and have had no random drops so I am pretty sure the Ethernet controller is to blame.

Problem: How do I prove this issue to Dell so they will cover a replacement under warranty? Since the drops are random in nature, I can't exactly demonstrate the difference... Proving this to myself even took 3 weeks of running on the wireless card. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Jim K    12,671

It appears that Dell released an updated driver on the 15th of this month.  Have you attempted to install the latest driver to see if your issue goes away.  If yes, have you tried disabling the Killer Network Service to see if your issue is resolved?

With that said, I kind of doubt it is hardware ... it is probably driver/software related.  When you get "disconnected from other players" ... does that also mean you lose all internet connectivity?  

Mindovermaster    1,736

I'd load up Ubuntu USB on your system and test it. See if it is a hardware fault or software. (don't install it, just run off the USB)

Try doing a speedtest, or try downloading a large file. ;)

+DevTech    1,513
5 hours ago, capr said:

Any advice would be appreciated

1. drops on non-wireless are almost always a driver issue.

2. but that assumes you have a quality undamaged cable to the switch and the gigabit switch is not overloaded and there is a quality cable from the switch to the router and that the router is powerful enough to handle the traffic.

3. the device driver will have a lot of settings, some of which could have an impact. Sometimes turning off the hardware acceleration in the LAN card makes the issue go away and the boost is not very useful on a modern CPU anyways.

capr    36
On 5/19/2019 at 11:40 AM, Jim K said:

It appears that Dell released an updated driver on the 15th of this month.  Have you attempted to install the latest driver to see if your issue goes away.  If yes, have you tried disabling the Killer Network Service to see if your issue is resolved?

With that said, I kind of doubt it is hardware ... it is probably driver/software related.  When you get "disconnected from other players" ... does that also mean you lose all internet connectivity?  

I uninstalled everything and downloaded just the drivers from killer's website. https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/

this way there isn't a bunch of services or extra junk. Will report back if this makes a difference. 

PS. I deliberately tried having something download in the background. didn't really see an interruption in the download. I also don't get disconnected from the game. just from the players i was connected to. 

On 5/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, DevTech said:

1. drops on non-wireless are almost always a driver issue.

2. but that assumes you have a quality undamaged cable to the switch and the gigabit switch is not overloaded and there is a quality cable from the switch to the router and that the router is powerful enough to handle the traffic.

3. the device driver will have a lot of settings, some of which could have an impact. Sometimes turning off the hardware acceleration in the LAN card makes the issue go away and the boost is not very useful on a modern CPU anyways.

1. warranty replacement would suck. i hope you are right. 

2. i have tried multiple cables that work fine on other computers. I have a new AC1750 nighthawk router. I have about 6 devices connected at any one time but none are really sucking up bandwidth. I also have gigabit internet from webpass/google fiber. 

3. I did a fresh install of the drivers without the "command center" I assume this doesn't include the hardware acceleration extras. How/where do I double check what settings are on/off? (latest windows 10)

thanks again for the advice so far. 

+DevTech    1,513
4 hours ago, capr said:

How/where do I double check what settings are on/off? (latest windows 10)

In Device Manager - Network Adapters, open the driver settings - for LAN devices there will always be an "Advanced" TAB which has about 40 settings

In general the settings are manufacturer specific, but anything labeled along the lines of "offload" gets the LAN device hardware to do some of the driver's work to reduce loading on the CPU. In some situations this can cause glitches and on a modern CPU the offload is insignificant.

Also, "Interrupt Moderation" bunches interrupts into groups to reduce interrupt load on the CPU. Interrupts can be nasty on a modern multicore CPU since (by design) "Spinlocks" in the device driver STALL ALL THE CORES AT ONCE for multiple nanoseconds to solve data contention so increasing the moderation level can be very useful.