slackware

i am a compelete newbie to linux i had an old emachine 466id with something like 256mb ram 466mhz celeron. had a spare cd drive and a hard drive but it only 1.2gig in size.

i chose slackware because i got told that if i trim it down enough i can fit it on to the drive. and guess what I DID. i was rather proud of myself installing slackware which people say is hard to learn on.

i got slackware on to the drive with 400mb to spare running KDE at an ok pace :)

i had it installed fine but installing drivers for my lucent modem was a pain in the ass so i tought i just wipe the pc and start again just for the shere fun of learning it. now i am having problems remembering what packages to install to get the 800mb install again :blush:

what are your personal experiances of slackware?

First off - congrats on the Slackware install! Slack was my first distro YEARS ago - and it served very well for a learning tool. I've got it dual-booted on my laptop with FC1 right now.

Since you're already on the go with Slackware, why not stick to it? If you want to minimize your install you might want to look into SLAX. It's a LiveCD based on Slackware 9.1 with a lot of goodies, but there is also a way to dump it to a hard drive (similar to Knoppix's hard drive install ability). An alternate site seems to be slax.linux-live.org.

Well done you Slacker!

Try Vector Linux it's based on Slackware so you'll know what you playing with.

"The operating system occupies less than 450 megs of hard drive space when fully installed and has a full set of preconfigured programs to handle all of your basic computing needs."

I love Slack, using it right now actually...

As for it being hard to install and work with, I find the opposite...I think it's the easiest one, as you can do a full install, have it prompt which packages you want to install, sleect the packages manually, or do the truly expert mode.

The only hard part I see is that it doesn't use rpm's...which is fine by me, I really don't like them anyways (except when you need 5 dependancies you don't have, then it's pretty nice to use .rpm

The LiveCD is the only way that I would use slackware since my last experience, I think I would rather do a 3 day custom build Gentoo install :x

It does look really good tho, but I'm Mandrake through and through.

i used slackware before gentoo, slackware is fab but im still a fan of gentoo. gentoo would be pretty easy to get that small :D

but searching found a little found a program called SLAX so try that out

Depending on what you're using your machine for, if it's an internet gateway/firewall I believe Smoothwall is available at about 50MB and this includes full web admin and all the features of an expensive router - but it's not for toying with or development - it's made strictly for one purpose but does that brilliantly. It would be a good way to learn how to setup such a system.