• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Guess what?!?!

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

As per the title, guess what?! 

Remember last October when I had such an AWFUL time trying to install that god-awful Win 10 October 2018 Update? And that every time I attempt, it bluescreened at 75% of the “Working on Updates” stage? 

Wellllll .... THE MAY 2019 UPDATE WORKED!!!!  YAHOOOOOOO!!!! 

I’m so happy!!! 😁😁😁

• Like 5

Jim K    13,735

Good to hear!

George P    5,537

Makes you wonder what changed?  Was it a Windows bug that was fixed?  Was it drivers that had been updated since then?  Some app installed that was updated?  A hardware change/upgrade?  :hmmm:

adrynalyne    12,379
49 minutes ago, George P said:

Makes you wonder what changed?  Was it a Windows bug that was fixed?  Was it drivers that had been updated since then?  Some app installed that was updated?  A hardware change/upgrade?  :hmmm:

I’m leaning towards drivers. 

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

Probably. 

DevTech    1,518
On 5/23/2019 at 1:05 AM, George P said:

Makes you wonder what changed?

On 5/23/2019 at 1:54 AM, adrynalyne said:

I’m leaning towards drivers. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:46 AM, MtnDewCodeRedFreak said:

Probably. 

I think it has more nuance than that, although for sure it is almost always a driver issue in the end.

I update about 10 home computers (I love keeping my older ones running as a hobby and for various Dev servers and a Minecraft server etc) and on every major update a different one decides to be cranky, usually the older ones with more obscure drivers.

This time, one of my newer ones failed the update for no obvious reason and did a rollback. I just let it sit and withing the week a few more of those who knows what they fixed Windows updates were pushed out and I tried it again and smooth sailing!

So for fun, I pulled my old Dell Inspiron 1720 off the shelf which had stalled on a 17xx update which killed both the LAN and WiFi so I had no convenient way to update it. At the time I plugged in updates to the drivers via USB to no avail so I shelved it in 2017 thinking I would buy a USB LAN or WiFi at some point. Anyways it turns out that a "deeper than driver" issue disabled all networking in a manner that was not obvious and the solution was to turn OFF the LAN chip in the BIOS. Then the WiFi started working!

So I started the update process with some basic cumulative stuff but it was really slow and cranky so I went to the Upgrade Assistant and tried for 1903 directly which FAILED due to a SD Card I had left in the slot! Of course there was NO error message to that effect... So while I pondered a bit on that the 1803 update was pushed out automatically but it blocked on the SD hardware driver which I then on intuition updated to a really old incorrect but very device specific Ricoh driver which allowed 1803 to go in and then I ran the 1903 Upgrade Assistant again which auto updated back to a newly working generic SD driver. I probably could have just disabled the device in BIOS but it was fun to try a different route. Finally I re-enabled the LAN in the BIOS, it found the right driver and now everything works perfectly and is really very fast and ZIPPY! 1903 is nothing very interesting on the outside, but FANTASTIC on the INSIDE.

TIP: go to disk cleanup afterwards - I had 40 gigs in Windows Update stuff there and I sure as heck didn't want a ROLLBACK!

• Like 2