Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

On 23/01/2022 at 21:54, Emn1ty said:

It just shows that these writers don't understand the whole concept of Star Trek. It's about exploring interesting concepts and conundrums that force an evaluation of character, morals, ethics and perspective. Picard Season 1 did none of that.

Remember, all these writers went to a "Star Trek writing school" held by someone who had NEVER written about, or been involved in, Star Trek...

• Haha 2

Come on guys, Star Trek: Picard is not so bad. Just like Discovery. They are two totally different Star Treks.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2022 at 07:33, spacelordmaster said:

Come on guys, Star Trek: Picard is not so bad. Just like Discovery. They are two totally different Star Treks.

No, they're not bad as such.... They're just not Star Trek.  When the announcement was made, Patrick Stewart promised he wouldn't be involved in something that didn't have a worthwhile story.  He lied.

If you want to watch something that's faithful to the original formula of Star Trek, that made it so successful, give The Orville a shot.

Edit:  Honestly, I DO get what they're trying to do with Trek. They want to modernize it into something that appeals to a modern audience. But in doing so they forgot the millions of EXISTING fans and managed to really really REALLY p*** a LOT of them off, big time. 

They sacrificed millions of older dedicated franchise fans with money to burn, in favour of a much smaller number of new younger fans who are largely broke... That's really not a clever thing to do.

Edited by FloatingFatMan

On 25/01/2022 at 02:36, FloatingFatMan said:

No, they're not bad as such.... They're just not Star Trek.  When the announcement was made, Patrick Stewart promised he wouldn't be involved in something that didn't have a worthwhile story.  He lied.

If you want to watch something that's faithful to the original formula of Star Trek, that made it so successful, give The Orville a shot.

Edit:  Honestly, I DO get what they're trying to do with Trek. They want to modernize it into something that appeals to a modern audience. But in doing so they forgot the millions of EXISTING fans and managed to really really REALLY p*** a LOT of them off, big time. 

They sacrificed millions of older dedicated franchise fans with money to burn, in favour of a much smaller number of new younger fans who are largely broke... That's really not a clever thing to do.

I agree to a certain point, but in the case of Picard, I think they are trying to make for all that by bringing in fan-favorite characters such as Q and Guinan back. Also, if you remember the very last episode of STNG, Q told Picard: "See you out there." well, we never saw him again, in any of the STNG movies, until now. I love Q. I think this season is going to be a very interesting one.

• Like 2

The only thing good about ST Discovery was Jason Isaacs, Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn performances, the rest was on daytime soap opera level. Heck, Rebecca Romijn did more for Trek in Short Treks than an entire episode of Discovery ever could and we are getting Strange New Worlds out of it. Admittedly there are some good actors in Discovery such as Tig Notaro but it's lost on the crap writing. I won't get into the politically correctness of the show, but that annoys me too.

I really hope they don't screw up SNW, but anything's possible with Hollyweird!

I'll watch Picard, it's better than Discovery.

On 25/01/2022 at 07:46, spacelordmaster said:

I agree to a certain point, but in the case of Picard, I think they are trying to make for all that by bringing in fan-favorite characters such as Q and Guinan back. Also, if you remember the very last episode of STNG, Q told Picard: "See you out there." well, we never saw him again, in any of the STNG movies, until now. I love Q. I think this season is going to be a very interesting one.

he was on DS9 (at least once i think) and voyager multiple times

On 25/01/2022 at 07:46, spacelordmaster said:

I will give season 2 an honest chance, but really... It's being written by the same people...

On 25/01/2022 at 18:33, margrave said:

I liked Picard, and I'm looking forward to season 2. I also like Discovery, and Prodigy too. I know. I'm weird.

You're not weird.

On 24/01/2022 at 23:46, spacelordmaster said:

The implication from the trailers that Q messed with the timeline has me scratching my head. Q never messed with the timeline, he simply created illusions or "influenced" current events. In fact, him messing with the timeline would be in direct violation of what the Continuum would allow. It goes way beyond anything Q has ever actually done in any of the series. The closest being what Picard's life would have been like if he'd never lost his heart, and that was more teaching Picard a lesson than actually changing anything about history. I'm going to watch it, but I have little faith they'll do any of these characters justice anymore.

On 25/01/2022 at 22:08, Emn1ty said:

The implication from the trailers that Q messed with the timeline has me scratching my head. Q never messed with the timeline, he simply created illusions or "influenced" current events. In fact, him messing with the timeline would be in direct violation of what the Continuum would allow. It goes way beyond anything Q has ever actually done in any of the series. The closest being what Picard's life would have been like if he'd never lost his heart, and that was more teaching Picard a lesson than actually changing anything about history. I'm going to watch it, but I have little faith they'll do any of these characters justice anymore.

Q never followed continuum rules, that's why he was always getting in trouble with his superiors. He always did things his way.

On 25/01/2022 at 22:00, spacelordmaster said:

Q never followed continuum rules, that's why he was always getting in trouble with his superiors. He always did things his way.

Yes, but he was also governed and punished by them multiple times for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today's opener was great. Felt like the Trek we let go of after Voyager. And seeing those ships again, including the Sovereign's first time on the small screen was great. Also the NCC-2000 still around too... 

I like how they aged Q at the end too, was wondering how they'd pull that off. 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2022 at 21:02, shockz said:

Today's opener was great. Felt like the Trek we let go of after Voyager. And seeing those ships again, including the Sovereign's first time on the small screen was great. Also the NCC-2000 still around too... 

I like how they aged Q at the end too, was wondering how they'd pull that off. 

It felt like a movie, but yes strong opener..

Spoiler

So it looks like yet another Starfleet captain is heading back to "our time" (the 20th/21st century). ;)  

• Like 2

Loved the season 2 episode. Q is so awesome. No one can play Q like John De Lancie. He is just amazing.

• Like 4

It was OKish, I didn't quite hate it... At least until we discovered that Starfleet is now run by complete and utter morons who think that...

Spoiler

... it's a GREAT idea to build a starship incorporating technology derived from a Borg cube.

The instant they said that I KNEW it'd be biting them in the ass by the end of the episode...

Sorry, but that was beyond stupid and not something Starfleet would have actually done.  

On 04/03/2022 at 04:30, FloatingFatMan said:

It was OKish, I didn't quite hate it... At least until we discovered that Starfleet is now run by complete and utter morons who think that...

Hide contents

... it's a GREAT idea to build a starship incorporating technology derived from a Borg cube.

The instant they said that I KNEW it'd be biting them in the ass by the end of the episode...

Sorry, but that was beyond stupid and not something Starfleet would have actually done.  

This became canon with Voyager,

Spoiler

Seven was responsible for a lot of the Borg technology incorporated into Voyager before they reached Earth, so it's not even a new idea.

On 04/03/2022 at 08:54, Steven P. said:

This became canon with Voyager,

Hide contents

Seven was responsible for a lot of the Borg technology incorporated into Voyager before they reached Earth, so it's not even a new idea.

I know, and it bit them in the ass a few times then, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Part of me keeps wondering if they made this whole time travel to 2024 to save money on sets since they can just slap a light dressing to current locations and call it good.

On 24/03/2022 at 23:25, Nogib said:

Part of me keeps wondering if they made this whole time travel to 2024 to save money on sets since they can just slap a light dressing to current locations and call it good.

Well that's fairly obvious, but that's how the original series got made, other planets where sets already built for westerns and the like... But forgetting that, the writers, if you can call them that, forgot  a whole storyline that happened in TNG... Every scene in episode 4 had so much wrong with it I was laughing by the end.. reminded me of into darkness, so terrible

I'm enjoying the season so far and like the throw backs to ST:The Voyage home.

For instance

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wonder if Agnes somehow becomes the new Borg/Legion Queen we saw in the first episode.

Spoiler

Is the "watcher" truly Laris or just taken on her form just for Picard?  If she really is Laris I'd like to know why she was assigned to watch Picard and by whom.

• 2 weeks later...