• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

1903 v145 and SoundBlaster Z

DevTech    1,517
10 minutes ago, NickEclipse said:

And that's what I thought. Even when PC games have a 5.1 Speakers setting, it's assuming you have a 3.5MM cables setup. Without Pro Logic or Neo:6, no surround in game via SPDIF-Out on the HT...

DTS and DD is working in SPDIF-Out test, but that's it. Speakers test in SB Panel doesn't work since it goes through the Speakers device, which is silent for me. And again, DTS Connect and DDL won't load in the SB Panel for me. For pretty much a useless Sound Card for me now.

Try the Windows Sound Panel. Then hit properties. In one of the tabs there is a list of "enhancements" - if Dolby is on the list, you can click on it and then hit the TEST button. NO SB panels involved.

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
2 minutes ago, NickEclipse said:

But then I will loose the Creative's audio enchantments right?

Yes of course, but that might be more livable for now. You can use the receiver's remote to switch between the two sound sources.

• Like 1

NickEclipse    3
Posted (edited)

Okay I used HDMI passthrough from computer to receiver, to TV. 5.1 works in-game now on Direct PCM without Pro Logic or Neo:6. Problem is, I have 2 TVs. One 32inch 1080p for the computer (with the HDMI passthrough), and one 40inch 720p for the old xBox360 that used HDMI passthrough too, and a DVI cable connected to the computer for second display. Problem is, I only have 1 HDMI output (4 input) on the receiver. So I loose the xBox360 passthrough. I'll try to figure out something with the component cables of the 360...Hey thanks a lot for your time and tips by the way. The sound quality is still awesome with the nVidia drivers through HDMI. It's almost even better. It's definitely louder. I don't have to put the volume as high.

DevTech    1,517
27 minutes ago, NickEclipse said:

Okay I used HDMI passthrough from computer to receiver, to TV. 5.1 works in-game now on Direct PCM without Pro Logic or Neo:6. Problem is, I have 2 TVs. One 32inch 1080p for the computer (with the HDMI passthrough), and one 40inch 720p for the old xBox360 that used HDMI passthrough too, and a DVI cable connected to the computer for second display. Problem is, I only have 1 HDMI output (4 input) on the receiver. So I loose the xBox360 passthrough. I'll try to figure out something with the component cables of the 360...Hey thanks a lot for your time and tips by the way. The sound quality is still awesome with the nVidia drivers through HDMI. It's almost even better. It's definitely louder. I don't have to put the volume as high.

The 360 has a working 5.1 Optical Cable which you can connect to the receiver

Yikes! your receiver ONLY has 1 optical input!

Maybe then use a COAX cable for the alternate SB input?

It feels like a game of musical chairs here!

Edit: See Page 15 in manual

• Haha 1

NickEclipse    3
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It feels like a game of musical chairs here!

Hahahaha, exactly man. I've just finished setting things up. Yeah, only one Optical input. Only one HDMI output. So I just connected xBox360 directly to the other TV through HDMI. I don't play xBox that much, so no HT for it's sound isn't that big of a deal. That's what you get with cheap receivers. Very few I/Os. The bigger deal for me is the passthrough for the computer's TV. I now HAVE to have the receiver ON for the display to go through. Even if say, I only want to use the USB the headphones, or need no sound at all. That sucks, but I'll do with it for now. First I thought I had 2 HDMI outputs on my GPU, that would have fixed the problem. One HDMI directly to the TV, the other to the receiver HDMI IN. Then the OUT would have been free for the xBox360 passthrough still. Thing is, this is a DisplayPort connection. LOL

Thanks for your time and advices. There's a bunch of options I didn't have through optical I have with HDMI. So it kind of compensates for the Creative Effects I'm loosing. Still, now I have another Creative card that will be a dust collector. First an Audigy, then an X-Fi, then the Z. But that time it really is because MS and/or Creative dropped the ball. I'm pretty sure we'll never get new Z drivers. Last time I buy a Creative product, unless they get their act together.

Edit: I'll check out Page 15 of manual another day, now I'm too tired. But I might as well just use the Optical for the xBox360 like you said. Since I now use HDMI for PC audio, what use does the optical really have for the computer? Until Creative or MS fix things, if they ever do...

Edited by NickEclipse

NickEclipse    3
Posted (edited)

I think the TV got a DVI port, or I got another DVI to HDMI cable somewhere (got a spare DVI output on the GPU). So I might use that instead of passthrough...But I'm just too tired now. will check out tomorrow. That might fix all my problems. Passthrough will be back to the xBox, and I won't need my receiver ON at all time to get video signal to my display.

NickEclipse    3
Posted (edited)

Well I found the solution my man. Ended up using the MB OnBoard HDMI Output with the Intel GraphicsAudio drivers. Bingo. My GPU HDMI Output is then clear to connect directly to the TV. Can now still use the Display with the Receiver OFF, and got back my xBox360 5.1 through the HDMI passthrough. Would not have ended up doing this little config without your help and knowledge. I really didn't know ProLogic and Neo:6 were simulated surround techs. Or I knew, but forgot about it, because I remember why I got the SB Z in the first place, for DTS Connect and DDL. Anyway, doesn't matter. Sound is really amazing through HDMI with DIRECT. I still use ExtremeStereo for music on the receiver because I like having all my speakers kicking audio out for music. Don,t care if it's not real surround, it's just music.

Thanks +DevTech. FU Creative and MS. Just kidding. Have a nice day!

EDIT: Problem now is I have a third useless Display showing up that I can't disable, otherwise I loose sound. And Multi-Displays tend to affect performance (FPS) in games. I set it to 800x600, and set the IGP to only 32MB of shared memory. Hope this will not affect my games' performances...

EDIT 2: I found this little option in the Intel's Control Panel called Audio without Video. I enabled it. The display is still showing up in Display Settings, but let's hope that will prevent the IGP from outputting any video signal, thus not affecting performances.

Edited by NickEclipse

]EGG[    3
Posted (edited)

nm