• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Computer boots, no USB power

german77    0

Last night a thunderstorm hit very close to my home while I was using the computer. The light went off for a minute.  After the thunderstorm I decided to turn the computer again. Everything booted fine with no errors. But the keyboard, mouse, and a xbox controller where dead with no signs of working even in bios. Naturally I thought that something should have failed. I connected the keyboard to another computer and it worked fine.

My computer monitor has usb ports. I connected the keyboard and mouse. And for my surprise they do work, checked for configuration but everything looks fine in the software side. Did some test and found that every USB port on my computer do transmit data. But lack of 5v power. I checked every power pin on the power supply and everything is good. A visual inspection show no burn, smoke, inflated, or blown up components.

Ethernet ports and sound works fine. I can't test other non USB 5v ports, because I don't have the correct cable or device. I don't care about those because I never use them.

I suppose that the USB power has a fuse or an internal regulator that could have failed. Can anyone had this kind of problem before. I got the tools to repair the motherboard. But want to know others opinions before messing up with the hardware.

DevTech    1,517
12 minutes ago, german77 said:

Last night a thunderstorm hit very close to my home while I was using the computer. The light went off for a minute.  After the thunderstorm I decided to turn the computer again. Everything booted fine with no errors. But the keyboard, mouse, and a xbox controller where dead with no signs of working even in bios. Naturally I thought that something should have failed. I connected the keyboard to another computer and it worked fine.

My computer monitor has usb ports. I connected the keyboard and mouse. And for my surprise they do work, checked for configuration but everything looks fine in the software side. Did some test and found that every USB port on my computer do transmit data. But lack of 5v power. I checked every power pin on the power supply and everything is good. A visual inspection show no burn, smoke, inflated, or blown up components.

Ethernet ports and sound works fine. I can't test other non USB 5v ports, because I don't have the correct cable or device. I don't care about those because I never use them.

I suppose that the USB power has a fuse or an internal regulator that could have failed. Can anyone had this kind of problem before. I got the tools to repair the motherboard. But want to know others opinions before messing up with the hardware.

The #1 thing that lightening power spikes do is corrupt the CMOS RAM, which might have just set your USB to non-enabled state, or even stranger stuff...

SO before you take out that Machete and hack through the Mobo jungle:

1. try going into BIOS and writing down the current settings.

2. Then find the pins on the mobo to do a CMOS RESET - no need to remove the battery.

3. then boot into BIOS and select "Load Optimized Defaults"

4. Reboot to BIOS and change back all your personal settings

5. If it doesn't work, well at least you can tweak a setting or two while you are in the BIOS!

My only other idea is to make sure that every single USB port is empty  - i.e. check for those tiny Bluetooth/Wireless thingies etc.