• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Suggest a super light Linux distro

cork1958    1,591

What might anyone have for a suggestion that is a good, light weight and still maintained Linux distro that is for old 32bit computers that doesn't use the current Kernel that Ubuntu/Mint use? That's version 4.15, I believe. Currently have Antix on the 2 old laptops in question and it runs very well, but can't get IPv6 or wireless working among a couple other things.

Wanting to give these old laptops to a couple people I know who need just the basic stuff, but don't want them to have to deal with any issues like I get with the kernel mentioned as it always goes through the boot option twice and takes forever to shut down. I know both people would want wireless working also, so need that to work out of the box.

Pretty general question I know, but figure some one here would have a good suggestion instead of me trying to search through all the different variations of Linux and just end up scratching my head.

I have had Lubuntu, Mint and now Antix on these machines and although everything worked in those first 2, the boot issue and shut down issue were just to much for me to give these laptops to anyone.

TIA

Mindovermaster    1,726

Lubuntu. It is very very light.

• Like 2

Shiranui    1,894

OK.

I suggest that someone come up with a super-light linux distro.

Now we wait.

Mindovermaster    1,726
8 hours ago, Shiranui said:

OK.

I suggest that someone come up with a super-light linux distro.

Now we wait.

Umm, I did?

theefool    7

Tiny core.

cork1958    1,591
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 11:14 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Lubuntu. It is very very light.

Already said I have had Lubuntu on them and the current kernel is what is making me look for another distro. Issues with their kernel both starting and shutting down.

I'm trying Bodhi Legacy right now on them and seems to be decently functional.

Mindovermaster    1,726
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Already said I have had Lubuntu on them and the current kernel is what is making me look for another distro.

I'm trying Bodhi Legacy right now on them and seems to be decently functional.

Typically, you can pick any distro in the world and install LXDE. The name of the DE.

• Like 1

cork1958    1,591
43 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Typically, you can pick any distro in the world and install LXDE. The name of the DE.

It's not the DE, it's the kernel, that is issue. Think I'm going to leave Bodhi on here for now as it's working pretty good with starting up and shutting down.

Thanks

Mindovermaster    1,726
4 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

It's not the DE, it's the kernel, that is issue. Think I'm going to leave Bodhi on here for now as it's working pretty good with starting up and shutting down.

Thanks

There are several different versions of Ubuntu/Debian, you know. And you can set your system to use ONLY one kernel version.

SoCalRox    242

Is there a reason you don't just install a version of the kernel that meets your needs?

I have the same delicate issue- an old machine limited to 32 bits, with minor but important usage. Very difficult to find things for it. I feel your pain. I'm on Lubuntu 18.04 with it for now, and hopefully another machine will replace it by the time 18.04 is too old to work.

Lubuntu 18.04.2 ships with Linux 4.18.  Drop back to, perhaps 4.10, or (as suggested above) install a different distro and install LXDE, LXQT, or XFCE...

Mindovermaster    1,726
11 minutes ago, SoCalRox said:

Is there a reason you don't just install a version of the kernel that meets your needs?

I have the same delicate issue- an old machine limited to 32 bits, with minor but important usage. Very difficult to find things for it. I feel your pain. I'm on Lubuntu 18.04 with it for now, and hopefully another machine will replace it by the time 18.04 is too old to work.

Lubuntu 18.04.2 ships with Linux 4.18.  Drop back to, perhaps 4.10, or (as suggested above) install a different distro and install LXDE, LXQT, or XFCE...

Also, you can use this to select the EXACT kernel you want/need.

• Like 1

+warwagon    12,743

cork1958    1,591
7 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Also, you can use this to select the EXACT kernel you want/need.

Cool! Hadn't heard of that before. I know I can use different kernels in any Linux distro, but I always feel left behind if I don't have the latest updates!

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

Haven't ever installed that one yet with as many different distor's as I've tried. Been as close to it as having actually downloaded it though. Was on the list I found searching around for different distro's when coming across Bodhi. A couple people on another forum had suggested Bodhi, so I went with that.

goretsky    1,004

Hello,

My last employer used MontaVista Linux CGX.  They were running on PPC architecture with devices with double-digit to triple-digit MHz CPUs (sub-1.0 GHz, at any rate) and performance was good.  I would imagine they would work well with Intel x86 architecture, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

+Fahim S.    1,064

Sorry for not answering the question, but why would you want to give hard to configure Linux machines on hardware that is so kernal sensitive to people who need "just the basic stuff"? 

Surely a low end Windows machine or a Chromebook would make more sense unless you want to be tech support for the rest of your life.

When you say "old laptops" can you be a bit more specific in case someone has experience of the specific machines?

ShadeOfBlue    37

I can't speak to your particular hardware, but Peppermint works well on older PCs in general. I noticed many comments to that effect on DistroWatch. And after trying a number of distros on an old laptop (which I don't actually use because it's basically a space heater with a Core 2 Duo processor), that did turn out to be the one that gave the best overall results. Your mileage may vary.