• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win10 GSOD - RDR_File_System mrxsmb.sys

Sulphy    1,436

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else is getting this error, and not much help from MSFT!

Domain joined laptop, only when external to the network, when i login after a reboot using my normal domain account, i get a GSOD, Stop Code: RDR_FILE_SYSTEM, what failed: mrxsmb.sys.

Work around (works most of the time) login to my laptop as domain admin (yes, i am a domain admin :) ) , logon to the corp VPN, switch user, and login using normal creds.... it is annoying as hell! 

Again, this only happens if i happen to reboot my laptop. Havent gotten much out of the event logs, or not much help from MSFT!

Hoping someone else has had the same issue!

System specs (before someone asks :) )

Lenovo X1 Carbon (6th gen)

Windows 10 (1903 bld 18885)

This started happening out of the blue around 8 months ago. Multiple rebuilds, on standard, slow, fast and preview rings ... am about to format and rebuild, again with the official VLSC 1903 release from a week or so ago!

adrynalyne    11,269
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sulphy said:

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else is getting this error, and not much help from MSFT!

Domain joined laptop, only when external to the network, when i login after a reboot using my normal domain account, i get a GSOD, Stop Code: RDR_FILE_SYSTEM, what failed: mrxsmb.sys.

Work around (works most of the time) login to my laptop as domain admin (yes, i am a domain admin :) ) , logon to the corp VPN, switch user, and login using normal creds.... it is annoying as hell! 

Again, this only happens if i happen to reboot my laptop. Havent gotten much out of the event logs, or not much help from MSFT!

Hoping someone else has had the same issue!

System specs (before someone asks :) )

Lenovo X1 Carbon (6th gen)

Windows 10 (1903 bld 18885)

This started happening out of the blue around 8 months ago. Multiple rebuilds, on standard, slow, fast and preview rings ... am about to format and rebuild, again with the official VLSC 1903 release from a week or so ago!

Try updating your network drivers. Without crash dumps and event logs it’s kinda a shot in the dark. It is almost 100% likely a driver though. 

Any devices hooked up when when it happens? What bios version are you using? I ask because I have the same laptop with 1903 and no issues.

What is the full build number of 1903? You can get it from winver. 

Sulphy    1,436

Hey Adrynalyne,

Yup, so all drivers bios, & firmwares are up to date as per latest lenovo update manager. Checked regularly.

Only happens when i am off the internal network, and have rebooted. if i leave the office with laptop in sleep mode, it is all good connecting at home for eg.

the only difference, is my normal domain acct has a onedrive & folder redirection attached to it. My Domain Admin account does not.

Just wonder, as it is a smb related sys file, if that may be the issue. 

Per my initial post, Windows 10 (1903 bld 18885) ... but am looking to a fresh install of 1903 from VLSC... and see how that goes. My other devices are on 1903 bld 18908... but the arent domain joined... 

adrynalyne    11,269
8 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

Hey Adrynalyne,

Yup, so all drivers bios, & firmwares are up to date as per latest lenovo update manager. Checked regularly.

Only happens when i am off the internal network, and have rebooted. if i leave the office with laptop in sleep mode, it is all good connecting at home for eg.

the only difference, is my normal domain acct has a onedrive & folder redirection attached to it. My Domain Admin account does not.

Just wonder, as it is a smb related sys file, if that may be the issue. 

Per my initial post, Windows 10 (1903 bld 18885) ... but am looking to a fresh install of 1903 from VLSC... and see how that goes. My other devices are on 1903 bld 18908... but the arent domain joined... 

Are these insider builds? Because my workstation and laptop are currently running 1903 Build 18362.116 straight from MSDN and CUs from Windows Update. The GSOD is another suggestion that it’s an insider build. 

You can confirm from winver. Does the event viewer give you any errors before the GSOD happens? As you mentioned, it might be worth a try turning off onedrive and folder redirection temporarily. 

Sulphy    1,436

Yep, they were insider, and non-insider builds. Am going to rebuild on VLSC 1903.... and see if i get the same again.... noting on the event logs that is obvious, have sent logs to MSFT, and nothing of note came back apart from uninstalling IME, lenovo drivers etc... the usual. They want generic MSFT drivers to check. So will give that a go in the next couple of days. 

I have same builds running on home pc, surface book, Razer blade 15 2019 ... none have the same issues, the X1 is domain joined. That is the only difference.

Jon S-S    0

I'm getting the same thing as you. Sometimes it's mrxsmb20.sys, sometimes mrxsmb.sys, but otherwise the same as you. 

Mine is a Lenovo also, a Yoga 900, about 3 - 4 years ago. 

I haven't found a solution yet, but am being a bit lazy, because when I take the laptop out of the office, I just let it sleep, and it unlocks fine when I'm away. That will come back to bite me sometime, so I'm still looking. 

What I have found though... It's not just any network connection it needs. Away from the domain controller and logging in will give the GSOD after a few seconds.  Connections to any other network is as though I'm not connected to a network.  The built in wifi, or a USB NIC makes no difference. It's absolutely stable if I don't try to log in. 

It's only my user account.  I tried it with the domain admin account.  That will log in fine no matter what the network connection state.  I created a brand new account on the domain, logged in - connected to the network the first time, but disconnected after that.  It will log in successfully every time. 

I took an updated snapshot, deleted my profile, rebooted, logged in while connected to the network and created a basically blank profile. Logged out, turned off wifi access point and logged in again. With the new profile, I still get the GSOD. So I have restored the image with the old profile and continued for the last week just getting by until I thought I should put some more effort in. 

It's currently almost finished downloading Insider Preview 18917.10000. Hoping that might make a difference.