• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

1st time PC Build, No display/Bios

Recommended Posts

diLeMaZ    0

Hi Guys,

 

I recently built a PC for the first time and it seems to start up perfectly. All fans start spinning and keyboard and mouse light up, the gpu fans stops spinning after a minute or two and no beeps from the MOBO. I have reseated rams numerous times and HDMI is going from Monitor to GPU. 

 

The monitor just says no display and won’t boot to BIOS.

 

any help greatly appreciated, full rig below.

 

Intel Core i7 9700k 3.6GHz octa core

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Corsair (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz

EVGA 650 GQ, 80+, 650W

Seagate 2TB

BE QUIET! BK008 Pure rock slim heat sink & fan

MSI Intel 1151 socket Z370 chipset PC pro D4 ATX motherboard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Eternal Tempest    805
Posted (edited)

Double check to see if there's any bent pins on the cpu socket.

Also try a different display cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    12,156

The best thing to do would be to double check all connections, re-seat the CPU and RAM, check that there is enough thermal paste on the CPU. @DevTech calling you here, is 650 watts enough power for this setup? That could be the causing the issue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ad47uk    1,041

I do not really deal with Intel, but I take it there is a video port on the motherboard, so make sure you have not put the video cable in that, also because the CPU has it own graphics, try taking out the video card and booting up with the CPU video. 
a lot of motherboards don't have a built in speaker, you need to add one of those silly plug in ones, that normally comes with the case or board, I can't remember which, I think case.  So maybe that is not plugged in, whihc is why you have no beeps. 
Try running one stick of ram, and change over to the other one. 
Take out cables for hard drives or if you are using a M.2 type disconnect it. 

just take things off and run with the bare board, cpu and one stick of ram  and see what happens. 

Could be a bent pin, but i think they are more difficult to bend on intel as they are on the socket, which is not really a socket if it has pins, but you know what I mean. 



Word of advice  when building a computer,  run the board outside the case, set it on top of box that it comes in and make sure it works before sticking it in the case.  I learnt that a long time ago and it saves so much hassle


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,500
5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

is 650 watts enough power for this setup? That could be the causing the issue as well.

I think 650 is cutting it pretty close, but wait for Dev...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+trag3dy    4,108

650w is the bare minimum you would want but it is enough that it is probably not the source of the issues. Really though with that cpu and gpu I probably would have gone with a 750w for a bit of extra head room if you ever decide to overclock.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZakO    495
Posted (edited)

A good quality 650w PSU (like the one OP has) is more than enough for that build, draw for those components would be ~400W maximum. Even my overclocked 9900k (@ 5.1GHz all cores) with a GTX 2080 Ti draws < 550w at 100% cpu/gpu utilisation. 

Edited by ZakO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
2 hours ago, diLeMaZ said:

Hi Guys,

 

I recently built a PC for the first time and it seems to start up perfectly. All fans start spinning and keyboard and mouse light up, the gpu fans stops spinning after a minute or two and no beeps from the MOBO. I have reseated rams numerous times and HDMI is going from Monitor to GPU. 

 

The monitor just says no display and won’t boot to BIOS.

 

any help greatly appreciated, full rig below.

 

Intel Core i7 9700k 3.6GHz octa core

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Corsair (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz

EVGA 650 GQ, 80+, 650W

Seagate 2TB

BE QUIET! BK008 Pure rock slim heat sink & fan

MSI Intel 1151 socket Z370 chipset PC pro D4 ATX motherboard 

 

STEP 1 is to get a BEEP.

 

1. remove GPU (once GPU is removed the PSU issue can be ignored for now)

 

2. remove RAM

 

3. You should NOW get the BEEP CODE that says "no RAM detected"

 

4. Report back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think 650 is cutting it pretty close, but wait for Dev...

 

2 hours ago, trag3dy said:

650w is the bare minimum you would want but it is enough that it is probably not the source of the issues. Really though with that cpu and gpu I probably would have gone with a 750w for a bit of extra head room if you ever decide to overclock.

 

19 minutes ago, ZakO said:

A good quality 650w PSU (like the one OP has) is more than enough for that build, draw for those components would be ~400W maximum. Even my overclocked 9900k (@ 5.1GHz all cores) with a GTX 2080 Ti draws < 550w at 100% cpu/gpu utilisation. 

 

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

The best thing to do would be to double check all connections, re-seat the CPU and RAM, check that there is enough thermal paste on the CPU. @DevTech calling you here, is 650 watts enough power for this setup? That could be the causing the issue as well.

 

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

 

He has the 650 watt GQ series which is the low cost "crappier" EVGA that uses a PSU from FSP instead of the SuperFlower and Seasonic PSUs that built their reputation for the "EVGA" PSU brand.

 

I'd be far more confident with a SuperFlower PSU inside if he wants to sit on the "border" at 650W but it must be said that FSP is not in the "JUNK" category of PSUs so a FSP unit at 750W would also be OK.

 

In any case there is NO scenario for drawing MAX PSU power on BIOS BOOT before the BEEPS so the 650W cannot be the issue here, although it could bite him down the road.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
3 hours ago, ad47uk said:

run the board outside the case, set it on top of box that it comes in and make sure it works before sticking it in the case. 

YES. If new build, don't skip this step.

3 hours ago, ad47uk said:

Try running one stick of ram, and change over to the other one. 

ALWAYS start with ZERO RAM and make sure you get BEEPS.

 

For the super careful, do the BEEP TEST before the CPU goes in to confirm the Mobo is active, and intelligently aware. All modern (quality) mobos have a monitoring computer circuit built in that does not need the CPU. Now, they can even update the BIOS version without a CPU!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,500
2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

ALWAYS start with ZERO RAM and make sure you get BEEPS.

 

For the super careful, do the BEEP TEST before the CPU goes in to confirm the Mobo is active, and intelligently aware. All modern (quality) mobos have a monitoring computer circuit built in that does not need the CPU. Now, they can even update the BIOS version without a CPU!

Well, there's always the thing where they don't have a speaker... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, there's always the thing where they don't have a speaker... :rolleyes:

That is not permissible!

 

If you are going to build your own computer out of premium parts, skipping 10 cents for the SPEAKER goes past stupid to mandatory prison time, no community service for that crime!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
3 hours ago, diLeMaZ said:

Intel Core i7 9700k 3.6GHz octa core

 

MSI Intel 1151 socket Z370 chipset PC pro D4 ATX motherboard 

Make sure the BIOS version on the board you have, contains updates to support that 9700K

 

Otherwise, no boot....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nekrosoft13    724
Posted (edited)

I don't see anyone mentioning this yet...

 

Where did you plug in your monitor? When you have dedicated GPU, all bios will aways disable onboard video

Make sure you plug in your monitor into the GPU.

 

edit... missed it.

 

you need bios 7B49v15 or newer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
diLeMaZ    0

Hi Lads,

 

thanks to everyone who replied. 

 

After removing the RAM and GPU, the MOBO doesn’t beep, however there is an EZ debug LED section and the LED corresponding to the ram lights up.

 

im double checking all connections and setting it back up, but any further advice appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
51 minutes ago, diLeMaZ said:

Hi Lads,

 

thanks to everyone who replied. 

 

After removing the RAM and GPU, the MOBO doesn’t beep, however there is an EZ debug LED section and the LED corresponding to the ram lights up.

 

im double checking all connections and setting it back up, but any further advice appreciated 

1. Locate your BEEP speaker and verify it is not damaged.

 

2. Verify you have the correct BIOS to support that CPU

 

3. Sometimes those LED diagnostics provide more info than BEEPS (but surprisingly not very often) so plug in 1 RAM and see what it says next. 

 

4. Just leave the GPU out of the Mobo until Windows boots successfully. It is a giant source of red herring type diagnostics in this situation.

 

 

 

5. See if there is ANY BIOS update you can apply even a BETA version.

 

6. Do the CMOS RESET to eliminate oddball BIOS settings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
3 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

I don't see anyone mentioning this yet...

 

Where did you plug in your monitor? When you have dedicated GPU, all bios will aways disable onboard video

Make sure you plug in your monitor into the GPU.

 

edit... missed it.

 

you need bios 7B49v15 or newer.

Your statement "When you have dedicated GPU, all bios will aways disable onboard video" is almost always NOT CORRECT in modern mobos. The BIOS will check the video plugs for the Monitor Status info to decide where it wants to display on cold boot.

 

If the Intel GPU is present it will stay enabled even with a GPU card and Windows will install a device driver for it. At any point in the lifetime of the computer you can plug a monitor into it and will see a Windows Desktop.

 

That is a VERY VERY useful feature.

 

You can disable the onboard GPU manually in the BIOS but I don't recommend that for most people due to the chance of debugging convenience vs the negligable overhead in a modern system. In a 32 gig RAM computer, you won't notice 500 megs getting allocated to the Intel GPU and it makes experimenting with 3rd and 4th monitors real easy.

 

Also, although it shouldn't matter, if you look at a picture of any modern Intel CPU's Silicon, even with many cores, 1/3 to 1/2 of the chip will be GPU! Sure it is a shame that for the same price you didn't get DOUBLE THE CPU CORES and there are maybe 100 million PCs with that silicon going to waste, so it just kinda feels right to plug in that 3rd monitor and use it to display your CPU TEMPS or SPORTS NEWS or just anything really...

 

--------

 

Very nice of you to research the BIOS version for the OP! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
diLeMaZ    0
44 minutes ago, DevTech said:

1. Locate your BEEP speaker and verify it is not damaged.

 

2. Verify you have the correct BIOS to support that CPU

 

3. Sometimes those LED diagnostics provide more info than BEEPS (but surprisingly not very often) so plug in 1 RAM and see what it says next. 

 

4. Just leave the GPU out of the Mobo until Windows boots successfully. It is a giant source of red herring type diagnostics in this situation.

 

 

 

5. See if there is ANY BIOS update you can apply even a BETA version.

 

6. Do the CMOS RESET to eliminate oddball BIOS settings

 

Thanks for your response.

 

I'm not sure the Mobo has a BEEP speaker at all as I understand alot don't have speakers.

 

Im not sure how to check if I have the correct BIOS to support the CPU, any suggestions?

 

For point 4, if I leave the GPU out of the Mobo until I boot windows, will I still be able to post to BIOS? Do I just plug in the HDMI cable into the CPU then.

 

Thanks again, heres a picture just for reference

61927007_305788696992436_8998499764123205632_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,500
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, diLeMaZ said:

Do I just plug in the HDMI cable into the CPU then.

HOW are you going to do that? :laugh: Think you mean motherboard. Not CPU...

 

Well, if the BIOS is the older version, you can't really do anything until you get a CPU that will run at that BIOS version that is on the motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
diLeMaZ    0
9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

HOW are you going to do that? :laugh: Think you mean motherboard. Not CPU...

 

Well, if the BIOS is the older version, you can't really do anything until you get a CPU that will run at that BIOS version that is on the motherboard.

My bad meant motherboard haha, you can see I’m a first time builder.

 

Couple of people have pointed that this may be the issue, how would I find out if the BIOS can support the CPU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,553
17 minutes ago, diLeMaZ said:

Thanks for your response.

 

I'm not sure the Mobo has a BEEP speaker at all as I understand alot don't have speakers.

 

Im not sure how to check if I have the correct BIOS to support the CPU, any suggestions?

 

For point 4, if I leave the GPU out of the Mobo until I boot windows, will I still be able to post to BIOS? Do I just plug in the HDMI cable into the CPU then.

 

Thanks again, heres a picture just for reference

61927007_305788696992436_8998499764123205632_n.jpg

Are you splitting the 8pin CPU and GPU powers there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
4 hours ago, diLeMaZ said:

Thanks for your response.

 

I'm not sure the Mobo has a BEEP speaker at all as I understand alot don't have speakers.

 

Im not sure how to check if I have the correct BIOS to support the CPU, any suggestions?

 

For point 4, if I leave the GPU out of the Mobo until I boot windows, will I still be able to post to BIOS? Do I just plug in the HDMI cable into the CPU then.

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

1. Locate your BEEP speaker and verify it is not damaged.

 

2. Verify you have the correct BIOS to support that CPU

 

3. Sometimes those LED diagnostics provide more info than BEEPS (but surprisingly not very often) so plug in 1 RAM and see what it says next. 

 

4. Just leave the GPU out of the Mobo until Windows boots successfully. It is a giant source of red herring type diagnostics in this situation.

 

 

 

5. See if there is ANY BIOS update you can apply even a BETA version.

 

6. Do the CMOS RESET to eliminate oddball BIOS settings

 

1. Let's go back to step 1 and break it down into small steps:

 

1.1) Locate your mobo manual

1.2) Turn to the page where it shows the header for the speaker connector and verify if it is 4 pin wide or 2 pins (almost always 4)

1.3) Locate a matching speaker from your PC case accessories box, any old PC, the PC your neighbor just dumped in the garbage, a local electronics store, or NewEgg.com

1.4) Plug the speaker into the speaker pins as specified in the manual

1.5) duct tape or hot glue the speaker where you can hear it

 

2. How to know what BIOS your mobo shipped with.

- sometimes it is on the label pasted to the outside of the box

- sometimes it is in the shipping info/description of sale etc

- most likely neither, so you need to find out what date your mobo was made/shipped from China.

- then compare that date with the list of BIOS updates on MSI website

- or you could just download and install the latest BIOS - if it is later than the existing, it will install, and it is something you wanted to do anyways...

 

3. You did not provide feedback on step 3

 

4. Yes of course plug the HDMI into the HDMI on the mobo unless you have a cable with the telepathy option.

 

6. I'm assuming a CMOS RESET was the first thing you tried but who knows so please confirm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-PC-PRO

 

7B49v17 - 2019-04-03

7B49v16 - 2018-11-22

7B49v15 - 2018-07-10

7B49v14 - 2018-05-21

7B49v13 - 2018-03-12

7B49v12 - 2017-12-25

7B49v11 - 2017-10-31

7B49v10 - 2017-09-05

 

According to the list, 9th gen support was added in V15

 

FAQ:

Is there any other method I could use in order to flash BIOS without getting into BIOS setup or windows?

You could press key combination Ctrl+F5 upon booting to the POST screen to activate M-flash mode and select the BIOS file included in the USB pen drive to flash BIOS.

 

That implies this mobo might be too old to Flash a BIOS without a CPU that boots.

 

SO if this is the actual problem (i.e. unsupported CPU) then you need to check this list:

 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-PC-PRO#support-cpu

 

and borrow a 8xxx level CPU to update the BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,062

Hello,

If you check the box that the motherboard came in, there should be a sticker on the outside which lists information about the model such as the BIOS version installed when it shipped from the factory.

 

While the power is off, you may wish to carefully disconnect and then reconnect the power cable between the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 video card and the EVGA 650 GQ power supply unit, just in case it was not fully plugged in at one end.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,518
16 hours ago, diLeMaZ said:

My bad meant motherboard haha, you can see I’m a first time builder.

 

Couple of people have pointed that this may be the issue, how would I find out if the BIOS can support the CPU?

What Can Be Wrong:

 

1. The BIOS being too old to know about 9th gen fits the facts but it is important to keep in mind that other possibilities exist.

 

2. The mobo might just need a simple CMOS RESET which you have still NOT YET confirmed.

 

3. The RAM may not be compatible. Is it on the mobo's QVL List?

 

4. The bent CPU pin thing. You have to examine the socket with a good magnifying glass to look for bent pins which is very hard to see since that are ALL bent slightly in one direction or another by design. Those pins are insanely EASY TO DAMAGE so inserting the CPU is like open heart surgery!

 

5. The "Cardboard testing" suggestion eliminates a hard to spot short between the mobo and the case. Screws and metal shavings can drop down behing and some cases come with extra mounting stand-offs that need to be REMOVED if the don't line up with a HOLE.

 

6. FINALLY there are the chances of a component being defective. Bad mobo, Bad CPU or Bad PSU. Note you can't have bad RAM because one of the two or 4 sticks will always work unless you have incompatible RAM as mentioned in #3

 

So if #1 to #5 is NOT the problem, then you need to borrow a PSU, and then borrow a CPU. If those two don't fix it, then ONLY the mobo is left and is most likely the defective part.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.