• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Scot Peterson, school resource officer criticized for his response during the Parkland shooting, faces felony charges

wakjak    16,666

Former Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson -- who was criticized for how he responded when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School -- has been charged with 11 counts, including felony child neglect charges, authorities said.

Peterson retired after the February 2018 massacre at the Parkland, Florida, high school that left 17 people dead, and is collecting a pension. He was fired Tuesday at a disciplinary hearing by new Sheriff Gregory Tony.

The firing could affect Peterson's retirement pay, Tony said.

Peterson, who was a school resource officer, is facing charges of child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury in connection with the deadly shooting, according to a release from the State Attorney's Office.

Days after the February 14 massacre, footage surfaced of Peterson taking position outside the 1200 building of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School instead of entering the building where a gunman was firing at students and staff.

Also fired was Sgt. Brian Miller, a supervisor on the day of the shooting, the sheriff's office said.

Peterson was booked into Broward County Jail, the state's attorney said, and his bail will be set at $102,000.

CNN is reaching out to Peterson for comment.

In past interviews, Scot Peterson's lawyer, Joseph DiRuzzo III, has said it's a "gross over-simplification" to characterize Peterson's actions as cowardly, and said Peterson believed the gunshots were coming from outside the building.

With more than 30 years on the job, Peterson's personnel file shows an exemplary record -- with two nominations for School Resource Deputy of the year.

The father of a girl who was killed applauded the charges.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/us/parkland-scot-peterson-charges/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-06-04T20%3A34%3A47

Finally some sort of justice is coming for this idiot. And I hope it does affect his retirement pay, I hope it reduces his pension to $0.00. 

11 charges, if convicted could probably warrant a very long sentence :)

• Like 3

DocM    16,344

Cowardly sonofabitch....

• Like 1

+Zag L.    688

It's not often that I agree with you wakjak but this is certainly one of those instances. You could not be more correct, this guy will get everything he deserves.

FloatingFatMan    17,965
Posted (edited)

So, was this guys job specifically to defend the students in case of an attack, because if not... Well, I thought being convicted of being AFRAID went out with WW1...

What IS a "School resource officer" anyway? We don't have such a thing here....

shockz    5,423
Posted (edited)

Some of these charges are pretty silly and won't stick.... perjury? Culpable negligence? Good luck on that.

Child endangerment/neglect though, yes, that's the one that should stick, and hopefully it is suitable sentence. I don't think the guy deserves life in prison though, it's not like he planned to be a coward that day/was the one shooting up the school.

Clirion    148
51 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

So, was this guys job specifically to defend the students in case of an attack, because if not... Well, I thought being convicted of being AFRAID went out with WW1...

What IS a "School resource officer" anyway? We don't have such a thing here....

They are a police officer that is assigned specially for the school district.

Zinomian    141
Posted (edited)

Look i have a kid in school, so i would be beyond myself if something happened to her, and some guy with a gun didn't try to help.  However, not sure how i feel about judging someone who was in fear......i know he was there to protect, thus why he is in legal trouble, morally speaking though......i am not sure.

I would like to think that I would run in and defend the kids, put my life in the line, be the hero...and i think most of us would think the same...but would we? could we possibly hesitate? could we freeze in fear?  Maybe he got into the wrong job, and now will pay for it.

Ultimately, he is another victim of the evil ahole who did this....

• Like 2

FloatingFatMan    17,965
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Clirion said:

They are a police officer that is assigned specially for the school district.

Ah. well, if he's an actual proper cop, that's maybe another story...  But life in prison, for being afraid?  That just smacks too much of what the British and US military's did to young frightened soldiers during WW1...