• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zone Alarm PRO **AND** A Linksys Router??

Question

Big_Daddy    2

Does this seem to be overkill?

Does anyone else have a (linksys) internet firewall/router and run a software firewall? If so, which Hardware router and software firewall are you running and WHY?

Please explain ...

(Note: the reason I ask is I am considering running a software firewall behind my linksys router to watch for OUTBOUND traffic. Even thought I have never had a virus and I run anti-virus software and keep it update. That is why I am wondering if it is overkill!)

13 answers to this question

Big_Daddy    2

*** BUMP ***

got some 30+ views, but no thought or comments ?!?!

Geronimo    0

If you are looking to log your outbound traffic there is an app you can get from Linksys to monitor I/O bound traffic.

Big_Daddy    2
Originally posted by Geronimo  

If you are looking to log your outbound traffic there is an app you can get from Linksys to monitor I/O bound traffic.

I have that program already. The router will capture that info also. I was thinking that it would be better because I could then CONTROL what is getting out from my computer. I also noticed that version 3 (which is in beta (an I have a copy)) blocks ADs and popup windows (which I now use webwasher for) ...

Big_Daddy    2

bump again :)

Rudy    457

all that for a lil protection?? i mean what do u ahve on ur computer thats so important to protect?? i have no anti virus, no firewall (software or hardware), i have NOTHING at all and my computer is running just fine

PM5K    0

Some people get a little paranoid..........

Chad    0

yes some are a little paranoid...but some are smart enough to put some protection on they machine. If you don't have the security software, how do you know everything is ok?

Jon    5

a hardware firewall *and* a personal firewall seems like serious overkill to me.

If you're so worried about spyware, just be sensible about the kinda apps you use. Personally, as long as they dont send me spam, I couldn't give a sh*t what info companies want to collect about me. I'm not that important for them to a)notice or b)give a sh*t.

SlowNeasy    0

I run ZAP with my Linksys. I also run Ad-aware. Some people are paranoid and some people just have data that would be very hard (or impossible) to replace which is my case. Good Lynksys forum http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,16

Big_Daddy    2

Ok ... let me take it just a little further ...

I use webwasher to clean pop-up s and banner ads. I now notice that ZoneAlarm (beta) 3 has fileters built right in that as supposed to block thses.

So the thought process is ... If I run it, I could NOT run webwasher (which I DON't have any problems with), and replace it with ZoneAlarm. By doing this I also get the protection of (inbound) and outbound traffic control.

BTW - I do use Ad-Aware pro and have a full subscription to DSL Reports and use them both regulary!

Thanks for the answers so far!

dicchicora    0

Ok, I use a linksys router and Zone Alarm, although it's not the Pro version. The reason why I have zone alarm is because I expose my computer as a DMZ host. So, the hardware firewall doesn't protect my computer, but Zone Alarm does. As for my other computers, they are still protected with the linksys router.

Big_Daddy    2

Thanks to all who answered ...

I loaded ZoneAlarm Pro (beta 3) on my laptop (behind the linksys, mainly to test the ad blocking) and I found that I like webwasher better. I have more control and add to the mix Netcaptor Pro (with URL and Popup blocking) ... it just doesn't get much better than that.

As far as outbound traffic, I have the linksys router monitoring the traffic and if I find something odd, i will run the linksys logviewer on my local computer.

But thanks to all for the input!

Rudy    457

hahah oh well, i ran ad aware and **** and NOTHING lol

and even if i had something, what are they going to get from it?? that i go check neowin.net everyday, that i have LOTS of mp3s? oh no, what should i do>???