Falcon Heavy: USAF STP-2 mission

Multiple payloads, and a qualification for US National Security missions. 

Also, a night launch.

Launch date: June 24
Launch time: 2330 ET (0430 UT June 25) 

Pad: LC-39A 

Recovery: ASDS, LZ-1 and LZ-2

STP-2 is a ride-share mission for the USAF Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) with 24 payloads from DoD, MOAA, NASA, The Planetary Society and universities. Notables,

LightSail-2: Planetary Society's LightSail propulsion demonstrator

GPIM: Green Propellant Infusion Mission. Looking to replace hypergolic propellants, this will test the AF-M315E monopropellant (hydroxylammonium nitrate, aka HAN).

DSX: a multi-experiment package,

* The Wave Particle Interaction Experiment (WPIx) will resolve critical feasibility issues for very-low frequency (VLF) wave-particle interaction.

* Deep Space Atomic Clock (DSAC), high resolution timekeeping for space missions & navigation.

* The Space Weather Experiments (SWx) will measure and map the distributions of energetic protons, electrons and low-energy plasma in the inner magnetosphere to improve environment models for spacecraft design and operations.

* The Space Environment Effects (SFx) will determine the MEO environmental effects on common electrical components, circuits and materials. This includes NASAs Space Environment Testbeds (SET) experiments. SET will characterize how radiation driven by the Sun impacts hardware over time, paving the way for mitigating the effects of solar activity on spacecraft design and operations.

COSMIC-2: a constellation of 6 meteorology smallsats for NOAA and Taiwan. AKA FORMOSAT-7.

• Like 1

with this being USAF will the stream cut off? Not that I'll be watching live at 4.30am over here, but I will watch it back the following day.

7 hours ago, anthdci said:

with this being USAF will the stream cut off? Not that I'll be watching live at 4.30am over here, but I will watch it back the following day.

This one should have normal coverage; it's not a national security mission with secret payloads. 

• Like 3

What I expect is they'll test the abilities that SpaceX have already proven for National Security missions, and perhaps test some new procedures that they want to implement that'll serve the overall program(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Weather: 70%

ASDS Of Course I Still Love You, fairing catcher GO Ms. Tree*, and the rest of the SpaceX Fleet have set sail.

* Formerly Mr. Steven, Ms. Tree is a comic detective who's supposedly the daughter of Dragnet's Lt. Joe Friday.

No mention of Ms. Tree being the daughter of 'the (ex-)virgin Connie Swail' 🙄

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
Targeting T-0 of 2:30 a.m. EDT for Falcon Heavy launch of STP-2; team completed additional ground system checkouts. Vehicle and payload continue to look good