Can't install to Program Files ("Error opening file for writing")

I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 1903 from an ISO.

I have downloaded Tor Browser, which by default tries to install to the folder the installer is stored.

I have changed this to C:\Program Files\Tor Browser but I get the following:

eb_torprog-1.thumb.png.97e8354a0745900726de31c3fa8e8a4d.png

It also happens if I try to install to the Program Files (x86) folder.

How can permissions be screwed up on a clean install of Windows?

During Windows' installation, I signed in to my Microsoft Account. Could it be syncing some corrupt settings?

2 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 1903 from an ISO.

I have downloaded Tor Browser, which by default tries to install to the folder the installer is stored.

I have changed this to C:\Program Files\Tor Browser but I get the following:

<screenshot snipped>

It also happens if I try to install to the Program Files (x86) folder.

How can permissions be screwed up on a clean install of Windows?

During Windows' installation, I signed in to my Microsoft Account. Could it be syncing some corrupt settings?

Fixed it by running the installed as an Administrator.

I am the only one who uses this PC; it's very frustrating that Microsoft has not allowed me to even install programs properly on a normal install of Windows 10.

Annoyingly enough, I'm already set as an Administrator.

eb_acctype1.thumb.png.56a4f7f01e4b2b2a5dcdcd5a7cb8ec76.png

Any idea how I can actually be set as an administrator of my own PC without having to log out of my Microsoft Account?

20 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Fixed it by running the installed as an Administrator.

I am the only one who uses this PC; it's very frustrating that Microsoft has not allowed me to even install programs properly on a normal install of Windows 10.

Annoyingly enough, I'm already set as an Administrator.

eb_acctype1.thumb.png.56a4f7f01e4b2b2a5dcdcd5a7cb8ec76.png

Any idea how I can actually be set as an administrator of my own PC without having to log out of my Microsoft Account?

AFIK, even with the hidden admin account, UAC still blocks certain installations, and should (in theory) prompt you for permission, I have had a few programs that have done odd things like what you showed, and simply right clicking and running as administrator, solved the issues 99% of the time.

You could try this:

net user Administrator /active:yes

to activate the 'hidden' account and simply swap yes for no to disable the account.

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

AFIK, even with the hidden admin account, UAC still blocks certain installations, and should (in theory) prompt you for permission, I have had a few programs that have done odd things like what you showed, and simply right clicking and running as administrator, solved the issues 99% of the time.

I have had UAC disabled since the Vista days (not via. anything too much like Services, just via. the UI).

This is my personal PC, I'm the only user and I know what I'm downloading etc., so I've never enjoyed Windows mollycoddling me.

Just now, Elliot B. said:

I have had UAC disabled since the Vista days (not via. anything too much like Services, just via. the UI).

This is my personal PC, I'm the only user and I know what I'm downloading etc., so I've never enjoyed Windows mollycoddling me.

I don't like the UAC either, but I have had issues with it disabled so I leave it running.

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

I don't like the UAC either, but I have had issues with it disabled so I leave it running.

I've had issues hard-disabling it but turning it to the lowest in Windows' UI never seems to cause me issues.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, Elliot B. said:

The administrator permissions has changed from the Window 9X and XP days. 

What the administrator permissions allow you to do is Elevate your token.

When you run your day to day operations, you have standard user permissions. 

When you wish to do something that is protected, you need to add the Security Token that says you can.

The UAC prompt will do that.  Or, if you have Disabled the UAC prompt, you can right click and run as Administrator.

Its the same as using sudo in the *NIX world.  There are not a ton of things that require the administrator token.

Hello,

You just mentioned you had done a clean install of Windows 10 from an ISO.  My initial thought is there might have been some kind of corruption or failure during the process of installing the operating system.

My initial suggestion would be to wipe the internal drive of the computer, create fresh installation media (including formatting the USB flash drive prior to use and downloading a new copy of Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool), and then starting anew.  This way you can have some certainty that the installation media, the operating system on it, and the drive to which you are installing do not have any problems.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky