• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Browsing news on mobile is beyond frustrating

Steven P.    12,771

I use Google Discover to read news around the web, and find myself adding sites to blacklists due to a few things, but one thing that immediately gets me to block a site is having to tap more than twice to rid of full or partial page popovers.

I can just about stomach the compulsory GDPR cookie warning (which is the dumbest decision the EU made and makes the web now a frustrating experience) I know there are extensions that skip the cookie warnings for you, but they sometimes end up breaking parts of a site I have discovered, especially if a site (like Neowin) uses cookies for different view options.

But what do you think about  browsing the web in mobile? I think a lot of sites put their pages together and never use them in mobile, because if they did I can't imagine them liking crap popping up over an article the visitor came for in the first place!

Example:

Human.Online    8,078

I’m old fashioned. I like a news layout to be linear by category with major stories at the top. BBC used to have it right but then they had this push towards “everyone wants video, right?” And massive desire to have us swiping horizontally as well as vertically to see what should be linear.

I'm sure that someone younger and with many UX buzzwords will tell me that what they have done is bold and empowering...

+InsaneNutter    1,293

I think browsing the internet in general without something like Pi-hole or a browser extension that will let you block certain elements is a pretty frustrating experience these days sadly.

Even more so on the mobile web I agree, some sites are basically unusable. I don't browse that much on the mobile, however I notice a huge difference between at home where Pi-hole is filtering my DNS requests vs 4g where you have experiences like the one you have just had.

(Don't worry certain sites are white listed on my Pi-hole!)

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,693

My biggest gripe is seeing a headline on my Google Now feed, clicking on a article and then being told I need to pay to view the article. Must figure out a way to block those sites. 

Have any of you used the Apple News app? I love the way they present article and something that you're able to customise. Now reading the news when I'm having breakfast on my iPad is part of my morning routine. 

• Like 1

Steven P.    12,771
16 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

My biggest gripe is seeing a headline on my Google Now feed, clicking on a article and then being told I need to pay to view the article. Must figure out a way to block those sites. 

Have any of you used the Apple News app? I love the way they present article and something that you're able to customise. Now reading the news when I'm having breakfast on my iPad is part of my morning routine. 

Neowin should be in Apple news as well :)

dipsylalapo    1,693
3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Neowin should be in Apple news as well :)

Top of my feed sir. 

• Like 1

+warwagon    12,779

I hate browsing the web on mobile, in fact I hate doing a most things on Mobile. I'm always annoyed that I could get things done so much faster on a desktop or laptop.

One day my dad called me and said i'm getting all these ads. Turns out ublock got turned off and he was seeing the "Normal" internet. He asked something along the lines of "This is what normal people see"

Brandon H    2,716

I'll be honest. I can't stand browsing the web without an Ad Blocker anymore for your above reasons. Neowin is one of the few sites I actually whitelist :)

• Like 1