Brand new SSD causing errors.

I just got a brand new SSD, 2 weeks ago, and over the past 2 days I have been getting disk full errors and unknown errors running check disk. I know I am going to be told to RMA it but is there anything obvious I can use for a test to see if it's not the SSD i.e... the motherboard controller?

You might need to give a little more info. Is this a system disk? OS? What is the manufacturer/model/size? Are you getting disk full errors when you have 200GB's (arbitrary number) free?

There is software that can check the health of the SSD (whoever makes the SSD probably has a "toolkit"), Crystal Disk, etc. I would check and see what the health of it is...

.... obviously if it is the SSD than RMA it.

This is my system OS disk. It is a Crucial MX550 250G SSD. I am getting disk full errors all the time, no matter how much it shows free and check disk just says and unknown error occurred. I am surprised I can run Windows at all. I am going to look into RMAing it.

5 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

This is my system OS disk. It is a Crucial MX550 250G SSD. I am getting disk full errors all the time, no matter how much it shows free and check disk just says and unknown error occurred. I am surprised I can run Windows at all. I am going to look into RMAing it.

Run all updates for your PC/BIOS?  Also, can try updating the firmware for the SSD.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

Crucial data executive says I have the latest bios but it says there is an unknown smart error. My PC bios is up to date.

3 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Crucial data executive says I have the latest bios but it says there is an unknown smart error. My PC bios is up to date.

If you are seeing SMART errors, rma it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Buy a Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 EVO PLUS or if just SSD Samsung 860 EVO

RMA the crucial and use for 2nd drive...

Ok, will do. i have till the 30th so I am all set. Amazon luckily is VERY good about hardware returns. They don't even expect the defective item until I receive the new one.

27 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Buy a Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 EVO PLUS or if just SSD Samsung 860 EVO

RMA the crucial and use for 2nd drive...

Yea, never had a problem with EVOS.  What I always buy myself.

Anandtech and many others recommended the Crucial by no less that 4 stars. I was very happy with it's performance I think it is just a fluke.

9 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Anandtech and many others recommended the Crucial by no less that 4 stars. I was very happy with it's performance I think it is just a fluke.

Samsung has been miles ahead of the pack.

Currently the WD SN750 is competative and the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro, but the Samsung is still out front, just by a little less margin

31 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Samsung has been miles ahead of the pack.

Mhm, has been for YEARS. I think I have 5 of them around here. (In different computers) Large range, can't remember them all, but I have one of the 120GB when they first came out.

My OS is now on a mechanical drive, a Western Digital Black gaming drive, and my boot time is about 40 seconds compared to 29 seconds with the SSD. some hitching too.

Going to order the new SSD at the end of the month.

22 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Any SSD is faster than a HDD...

Yes and the Crucial MX-500 is only $40 on Amazon

1 hour ago, devnulllore said:

Yes and the Crucial MX-500 is only $40 on Amazon

I just bought one of these to put in my Xbox One:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Geek-Squad-Certified-Refurbished-860-EVO-500GB-Internal-SATA-Solid/323764188959?epid=25027556993&hash=item4b61d9771f:g:01AAAOSwDJRbkzOD

Even though it's a refub, it's Samsung, so it'll last for a long long time.  The one I got looked brand new.

Great deal for ~$50.

Hello,

Even though it is brand-new, it is certainly possible for a SSD to fail immediately out of the box.  Many years ago, I had this occur with a Corsair SSD, if I recall correctly.  The failure rates for electronics follow what's know as a bathtub curve "\___/" in that they are higher at both the beginning and the end of their lifecycle (the amount of time they are expected to be powered), with a lower failure rate through the designed lifespan.

As others have noted, it looks like this SSD has already begun to fail, which means it is DOA ("dead on arrival").   Go ahead and have the reseller exchange it for a new one which, in all statistical probability, should work just fine.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky