Install Vista 5112 x64 on AHCI-only ThinkPad T550

Hi.  Is this possible?  I boot the iso with XBoot, and it works fine until setup tries to find any disks, and it fails.

Thanks,

The_Decimator.

Hello,

I think your best bet would be to run it as a virtual machine, with the host operating system being whatever was installed by default on the ThinkPad T550.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I think your best bet would be to run it as a virtual machine, with the host operating system being whatever was installed by default on the ThinkPad T550.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Is there no way to run it natively?

(BTW not that it really matters but I think the computer came with Windows 8.1 but it's been long overwritten.)

5 minutes ago, The_Decimator said:

(BTW not that it really matters but I think the computer came with Windows 8.1 but it's been long overwritten.)

if there is an option in the bios to change the hard drive controller to ide  from ahci, it should work

What are the specs on this notebook (processor, etc).  Are we sure Vista can even be installed on it?  AHCI isn't the problem since Vista supported it out of the box.

Also, wouldn't running Vista in a dual boot environment open the main OS (say WIndows 10) to security risks since Vista no longer receives security updates.

55 minutes ago, Som said:

if there is an option in the bios to change the hard drive controller to ide  from ahci, it should work

The problem is my BIOS doesn't have one.

28 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What are the specs on this notebook (processor, etc).  Are we sure Vista can even be installed on it?  AHCI isn't the problem since Vista supported it out of the box.

Also, wouldn't running Vista in a dual boot environment open the main OS (say WIndows 10) to security risks since Vista no longer receives security updates.

Vista RTM did, but not Vista Beta 1, which is what I'm trying to install.  Also, the main OS is Debian.  Also, technically if I was going with Vista RTM instead, there are workarounds to install security updates for Server 2008 on it through next year.

Hello,

This would have been a build somewhere between the beta and release candidate builds of Microsoft Windows Vista, which was released in 2006 with version number of 6.0.6000.  So, I would think your best bet for running it natively is to source some hardware from the 2005-2006 timeframe, like a ThinkPad T43p or T61p, and use that, instead.  The ThinkPad T500 was released in 2015, which means a good amount of its architecture is unlikely to be recognized by that build of Windows Vista.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18 hours ago, The_Decimator said: