• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hello Everyone, should I get Windows 8.1 , Windows 10 or just stick to a Linux distro?

Sad Bob    0

So...hear me out here, people said this about a thousand times but Windows 10 REALLY rustles my jimmies, as if it wasn't enough the last update messed my PC up and I need to reinstall the OS, but to what?

I've spent 2-3 hours just disabling cortana, telemtry services and their cancer bandwidth function and generally it was *GOOD* after I spent 2-3 hours, had this OS for a year and a half and it worked decently with tons of other minor issues but I said whatever...until now.

I can't stand Win10 anymore, It's horrible garbage and spyware, what do I even do at this point, IM DESPERATE,  I DONT WANT MORE FORCED UPDATES, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY SYSTEM!!!!!!

T h a n k you in advance.

SAD BOB

Circaflex    3,555

Most Windows 10 issues I have seen stem from bad drivers. You also seem to tweak and disable many of the core features, which could be causing some of your issues. If you have a Windows 7 license you can go ahead and install that, you can also install Windows 8.1 or you can go with a Linux distro. It is your choice, however it does seem like you've made up your mind and do not want Windows 10. What do you use your computer for? If you move to Linux, just make sure any apps you have used on Windows have a comparable Linux version.

• Like 2

Sad Bob    0
Posted (edited)

I use it for old games, I emulate alot of games but usually I am an avid GOG User, But my drivers were absolutelty fine, Installed them manually and they worked, it's literally that Windows has such terrible rot- Clean-Defragment- I unparked my CPU- then I did this for over a year and a half, worked decently but it took so much of my time.. CLEAN, DEFRAG, and it was a tight run ship until the *awsomely* forced windows update.

Also tons of respect to you since you are here from 2002 

EDIT:I dont trust windows 7 anymore, since it lacks the important securitty updates and im worried about my future software I might have to use, I could go back to it, liked it alot but I need a confirmation on this

Sad Bob    0

ALso, Yes, I uninstalled alot of MS apps cause they're absolute trash, disabled cortana, disabled live tiles and their updates             cause i could not stand it

Mindovermaster    2,181
3 minutes ago, HussamT said:

The thing with Linux is that you can safely never update it. But that's going to be after days or weeks of tailoring your installation to fit your workflow.

Yes, but you would have a lot of security holes in your system. Plus kernels often bring some good hardware support.

Jim K    13,493
14 minutes ago, HussamT said:

The thing with Linux is that you can safely never update it. But that's going to be after days or weeks of tailoring your installation to fit your workflow.

Hmmm...not very good advice. Linux has security vulnerabilities like any other OS...so it's best to keep it patched like any other OS.

• Like 2

cork1958    1,677
Posted (edited)

Dump that garbage Windows 10 and install Linux Mint, or what ever flavor you prefer, and be happy!!

Have done that on 7 of my machines and couldn't be happier!! :)

Only Windows computer left here is wife's Windows 7.

Nick H.    9,850

I use Linux Mint on my "light" computer and it does the trick, although you may have compatibility issues with games. But you could always try running them with Wine.

On my main machine I'm running Windows 10 though, my only issue I've had with it is related to the drivers I think. But I also haven't been forcing things to switch off or uninstall that don't have apparent buttons to do so.

Brandon H    3,048

I'm going to be blunt here because I see several issues with how you handle Windows 10; you're likely causing a good portion of the instability yourself by force disabling core functionality.

Cortana is in the process of being separated out and can easily be properly disabled from Settings now without resorting to force disabling through registry or deleting files. both of which can cause some instability.

I don't understand why people are obsessed with disabling telemetry. it has been there since the XP days; it doesn't track anything personal but grabs things like crash logs and such so Microsoft knows what to fix/adjust to improve stability; disabling that means Microsoft doesn't know what breaks or is broken on your setup so they cannot compensate.

Live tiles there's nothing wrong with and if you don't use it it's just not there. nothing to disable. if you don't like tiles period just unpin them all and the start menu will just be your A-Z programs list. Or you could always install a 3rd party Start Menu replacement and be happy with that.

And I have no idea what you mean by "cancer bandwidth" function so you're probably looking too far into things there.

Lastly WHY are you so against updates? They keep your system secured. Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever. They all need updates to remain secure. If you refuse/ignore updates you're just asking for trouble down the line. There's NO reason to be so against them. Driver updates are another story as they are the ones that can sometimes break things, but Security updates an Cumulative updates should NEVER be skipped or ignored. So MIcrosoft forces the updates, big deal. That's because the average user (not you or me) doesn't even know what an update is but Microsoft still wants those users to remain secure and with the latest features.

I guarantee you that if you were not to mess with so many core features and functionality then your system would remain a LOT more stable and be able to do everything you need it to.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 10 and in regards to gaming it is one of the best OS's at this point even for legacy gaming :)

Microsoft has done a lot to improve gaming performance since Windows 10

No offence but the problem is not Windows 10, the problem is YOU

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

+Raphaël G.    3,030

I can't agree with those saying that the OP is the cause of his issues with Windows 10. Windows 10 is an irritating OS. This is my list:

- It comes with lots of unwanted stuff pinned to the start menu

- The start menu search doesn't always work (e.g. searching for for a program which is in the start menu, doesn't always produce a result)

- Windows updates require a reboot and need time to get applied before logon is possible

- Feature updates contain so many changes that they have a risk of breaking a working system

- WIFI dies randomly, and can only be revived by a reboot (this might be driver related. But a PITA that this Broadcom chip still doesn't work with Windows 10)

I replaced Windows 10 with Ubuntu and i'm very happy. None of the issues above. Updates that do'n require a reboot, are bliss (Most updates don't need a reboot, only kernel updates. Those are applied after a voluntary reboot, any time, which doesn't cause extra downtime before the logon screen). That being said, Linux takes some getting used to. It is a completely different beast. A lot of software in your workflow will need to be replaced by open source alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

firey    3,924
25 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I can't agree with those saying that the OP is the cause of his issues with Windows 10. Windows 10 is an irritating OS. This is my list:

- It comes with lots of unwanted stuff pinned to the start menu

- The start menu search doesn't always work (e.g. searching for for a program which is in the start menu, doesn't always produce a result)

- Windows updates require a reboot and need time to get applied before logon is possible

- Feature updates contain so many changes that they have a risk of breaking a working system

- WIFI dies randomly, and can only be revived by a reboot (this might be driver related. But a PITA that this Broadcom chip still doesn't work with Windows 10)

I replaced Windows 10 with Ubuntu and i'm very happy. None of the issues above. Updates that do'n require a reboot, are bliss (Most updates don't need a reboot, only kernel updates. Those are applied after a voluntary reboot, any time, which doesn't cause extra downtime before the logon screen). That being said, Linux takes some getting used to. It is a completely different beast. A lot of software in your workflow will need to be replaced by open source alternatives.

Those are fair points.. though I want to point out a couple things.

1. Just un-pin it all and make the start menu skinny, that's what I do. I hate tiles and remove them asap.

2. Yea, this is definitely annoying, seems to happen if the pc hasn't indexed in a while

3. Not always, mines set to run at 3am and for the past 2 or three big updates has worked as expected

4. Eh, so does any dist-upgrade I've broken a few Linux boxes with dist-upgrade

5. I have this too, I find I can just disable/enable my wifi adapter and it resolves it,.

I've broken my fair share of *nix installs.  Usually caused by bad drivers or accidentally blowing away sys files while trying to do a dist-upgrade.   That said.. if I had the game support out of the box with Mint as I do with windows.. I'd be willing to change over.

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,048
41 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

- It comes with lots of unwanted stuff pinned to the start menu - They are starting to get a bit better with this; I don't think I had anything re-install itself with 1903; at least not that I noticed. Either way, this is just a nitpick and doesn't affect the performance/usability of the OS.

- The start menu search doesn't always work (e.g. searching for for a program which is in the start menu, doesn't always produce a result) - I've had mixed results on this, part of it could be your system is still indexing. This has also been improved in recent builds though since they've started separating out Cortana.

- Windows updates require a reboot and need time to get applied before logon is possible - This has always been the case with every version of windows right back to 95. MIcrosoft is improving this though by having more of the update install in the background resulting in less time consumed during reboot. Plus you can choose your non active hours now and the auto reboot will occur during that time so you won't have any downtime when you come back to your PC.

- Feature updates contain so many changes that they have a risk of breaking a working system - yes and no; drivers are usually the cause of the breakage more often than not. plus it looks like Microsoft is reducing feature updates from twice a year to once so why make such a big deal out of it?

- WIFI dies randomly, and can only be revived by a reboot (this might be driver related. But a PITA that this Broadcom chip still doesn't work with Windows 10) - have never experienced this in any of my setups so this definitely has to be a driver issue.

I usually agree with your Raph but there are a couple things on your list that I've replied in red with.

A recent blog post from Microsoft said that they wish to eventually have completely seamless updates; no reboots or anything. there's just a lot of work before they can get to that point yet though.

edit: Plus I never said OP was the full cause of his system instabilities but his messing/modifying of core components definitely isn't helping

Gotenks98    546
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

I'm going to be blunt here because I see several issues with how you handle Windows 10; you're likely causing a good portion of the instability yourself by force disabling core functionality.

Cortana is in the process of being separated out and can easily be properly disabled from Settings now without resorting to force disabling through registry or deleting files. both of which can cause some instability.

I don't understand why people are obsessed with disabling telemetry. it has been there since the XP days; it doesn't track anything personal but grabs things like crash logs and such so Microsoft knows what to fix/adjust to improve stability; disabling that means Microsoft doesn't know what breaks or is broken on your setup so they cannot compensate.

Live tiles there's nothing wrong with and if you don't use it it's just not there. nothing to disable. if you don't like tiles period just unpin them all and the start menu will just be your A-Z programs list. Or you could always install a 3rd party Start Menu replacement and be happy with that.

And I have no idea what you mean by "cancer bandwidth" function so you're probably looking too far into things there.

Lastly WHY are you so against updates? They keep your system secured. Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever. They all need updates to remain secure. If you refuse/ignore updates you're just asking for trouble down the line. There's NO reason to be so against them. Driver updates are another story as they are the ones that can sometimes break things, but Security updates an Cumulative updates should NEVER be skipped or ignored. So MIcrosoft forces the updates, big deal. That's because the average user (not you or me) doesn't even know what an update is but Microsoft still wants those users to remain secure and with the latest features.

I guarantee you that if you were not to mess with so many core features and functionality then your system would remain a LOT more stable and be able to do everything you need it to.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 10 and in regards to gaming it is one of the best OS's at this point even for legacy gaming :)

Microsoft has done a lot to improve gaming performance since Windows 10

No offence but the problem is not Windows 10, the problem is YOU

One thing I want to add to this. Pretty much every OS had some kind of telemetry in it. It is just Microsoft was more up front about it than the other OSes. The only real complaint people could have is with the drivers and how windows update switches the drivers so versions that might not have the same functional level as the oem ones you have already installed.

+Raphaël G.    3,030
1 hour ago, firey said:

Those are fair points.. though I want to point out a couple things.

1. Just un-pin it all and make the start menu skinny, that's what I do. I hate tiles and remove them asap.

2. Yea, this is definitely annoying, seems to happen if the pc hasn't indexed in a while

3. Not always, mines set to run at 3am and for the past 2 or three big updates has worked as expected

4. Eh, so does any dist-upgrade I've broken a few Linux boxes with dist-upgrade

5. I have this too, I find I can just disable/enable my wifi adapter and it resolves it,.

I've broken my fair share of *nix installs.  Usually caused by bad drivers or accidentally blowing away sys files while trying to do a dist-upgrade.   That said.. if I had the game support out of the box with Mint as I do with windows.. I'd be willing to change over.

1. That, I can live with. I did the exact same thing.

2. That's something I can't live with. Search, followed by ENTER is my way of starting applications. I don't want to search the start menu manually. Search just has to work.

3. Agreed. But the updates  are still disruptive. At some point, a reboot gets triggered. Even if it happens at night, it's annoying. I usually leave stuff open before going to bed.

4. Also agreed. However, dist upgrades aren't forced on the user: you have to trigger it manually. Feature updates are not ok (in my personal opinion). My tweaks to fix some issues (e.g. pc never waking up from sleep) are always undone after a feature update). Also, people that I know, don't know there is such thing as a feature update. And suddenly, in the morning, they notice their pc has issues (last time, the user couldn't log on anymore due to the OS not recognizing the pin anymore). Fixing other people's computer that gets broken due to a feature update is no fun. Even once a year is too much.

5. That didn't help on my side. I tried everything. Searched the web for months, always hoping to find similar cases, or to find updated drivers. Nothing...

+Raphaël G.    3,030

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

I usually agree with your Raph but there are a couple things on your list that I've replied in red with.

A recent blog post from Microsoft said that they wish to eventually have completely seamless updates; no reboots or anything. there's just a lot of work before they can get to that point yet though.

edit: Plus I never said OP was the full cause of his system instabilities but his messing/modifying of core components definitely isn't helping

Thanks for your input. You have valid and objective points. I'm glad that Microsoft is working on improving Windows updates to make it less disruptive. But there is, indeed, still a long way to go.

• Like 1