• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Failed my driving test AGAIN!!! How many attempts did you take to pass?

Orianc    0

Hey

So, I am getting totally fed up of these driving tests, I have now failed 3 times!

1st time, I was all in a panic so decided to stop before the end of the test.
2nd time, I failed for lane discipline, because I cut a corner (oops)
3rd time, I failed for touching the curb whilst reversing around a corner. (But whether or not the examiner should have been asking me to do that maneuver in the road he did is very, very questionable!!!)

I am getting fed up, having to pay out daft money for tests and lessons, only to keep on failing for silly reasons.
I'm yet to pull out on anyone, or run a light, or even get minors for poor observation/signalling or the like, it's all just daft little things. SO frustrating!

My instructor is also getting fed up of my failing it seems, because he just can't work out what is going wrong when the test comes, and why I haven't passed already.

At the moment, I am so close to just giving up and calling it a day, I'm honestly not used to failing anything, and driving would make family life a million times easier, but at this rate I feel like it might never happen! I need some motivation again, because I cannot face going through it all again.

So... just wondering how many attempts it took you guys to pass, and any driving stories you might like to share?

Cheers!

Haggis    1,006

My wife is exactly the same right now, she has tried 3 times and failed 3 times

The only thing i can put it down to is nerves as both me and her instructor agree she is a very good driver. I would not have her drive my car if that was not the case

Just try again, keep your chin up and be confident :)

Skyfrog    693

I failed my first time because I wasn't ready at all, I'd barely had any driving practice but my aunt rushed me into taking it. So I'm really nervous and to make matters worse I had this really grumpy lady as my instructor. So I'm tunnel visioning straight ahead and come to an intersection thinking it was a four way stop, and when I took off the instructor gasped at me and said "Didn't you see that red light!?" I honestly didn't (though to be fair they were almost over the roof of my car). Yeah I ran a red light on my driving test; I felt like such an idiot. 😆

For my second test I went back to my small hometown to take it. This time I got a nice old man as my instructor and all he had me do was driving around for a while out in the country. No intersections, no traffic, no parallel parking, it was a breeze. I'd had much more practice by then too so I had a much better idea of what I was doing at that point. Decades later and I'm still terrible at backing up though.

Keep practicing and you'll get it eventually. Have you taken any driving courses, if not that would probably help a lot too.

+Fahim S.    1,084

I failed three times as well... and had no confidence that I would pass when I went the fourth time - but I did.

I know someone who took their test 17 times before they passed. They eventually did, and they are a great driver.  I know people that passed first time and they are terrible drivers.

It's not meant to be easy.  It's hard not to compare yourself to others, but just be relaxed, and keep on taking it until you pass - which you will do eventually.

• Like 1

He's Dead Jim    1,952

Failed on the first time due to nerves and lack of practise,  had another six lessons and a valium and passed on the second go.

• Like 1

yoco    2

Failed on first time due to being stressed out, a month later passed with flying colors, instructor could only say "you passed, congratulations"! :D

CrashGordon    438

Passed both passenger vehicle and motorcycle tests first time.

+jamwheat    196

Here in the States, I passed regular car and motorcycle tests first time (written and driving).

techbeck    6,743

First time passed.  Of course, my test was so damn easy.  No written test at the time, back in the 90s.  Just Drivers Ed in HS.  Then for driving test at the DMV, I drove straight for a couple miles, backed out of a parking lot, and drove back.  That was it.

Peresvet    66

Was doing 90 km/h on a 100 km/h highway and failed my final driving test the first time.

Slugsie    963

Taken 2 tests, passed 2 tests. Car and Heavy Goods Vehicle class 2.

Blar    31
Posted (edited)

Driver's ed in high school, got my learner's permit at 15, got my full license the day I turned 16. First try on both.

This was in a small town in East Texas in the late 1990s and, unless you have really bad nerves and/or your instructor absolutely despised you, you were all but guaranteed to pass.