Sound Issue.

Hi Guys,

I have a LG 34" Ultrawide Monitor connected to a Radeon R9 390 (8GB) Graphics Card in my system. Everything is working OK except I have a small but irritating issue. I use the speakers built into the monitor for space saving purposes, whenever I play a game or a video on Youtube, I get the first 3-4 seconds of sound, then the sound goes silent for a period of 5 secs then comes back and everything is normal again.

If I'm playing a game, the sound will work fine after the 5 sec silence,  until I exit the game, the next time I load the game I get the issue again. 

If I'm playing videos via Youtube, it happens on almost every video I play.

The monitor is connected via a Display Port cable.

Things I've tried:

Uninstall and re-install video card drivers several times.

Tried a different display port cable

Going to try changing to an HDMI cable once it arrives.

Anyone else got any ideas or suggestions?

This is more of an irritation rather than a major problem, am not really looking to replace any hardware unless it's really necessary.

Could be interference. Or monitor speakers going wanky.

I'd wait till after the HDMI comes to make sure.

• Thanks 1

Are you using cheap displayport cables? Do you know if your displayport cable is versa certified? https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/?ps I know all sorts of wonky things can happen when you use cheap, non-certified displayport cables. Some non-certified cables even have an active 20th pin on the DisplayPort connector, which will feed 3.3v of power back into the GPU's DP jack. This causes all sorts of wacky DP link failures, sleep resume failures, and display flashing issues, and the list goes on.

• Thanks 1

Well, changed over to the HDMI cable and issue is resolved.

@Circaflex I was using the DP cable that came with the monitor, couldn't tell if it was certified or not, plus I wasn't aware of the vesa certification for the cables. So, I've now ordered one from Amazon to see if that also resolves the issue.

2 hours ago, johnporter29 said:

Well, changed over to the HDMI cable and issue is resolved.

@Circaflex I was using the DP cable that came with the monitor, couldn't tell if it was certified or not, plus I wasn't aware of the vesa certification for the cables. So, I've now ordered one from Amazon to see if that also resolves the issue.

I only learned about this just the other week. An AMD engineer posted on Reddit about it and all of my weird issues went away when I purchased a certified cable, apparently even the cables that come with monitors arent all that great. Glad the HDMI cable fixed your issue, curious to see how the new DP cable goes too.

• Thanks 1

I have found the issue .... drivers.

After the disappointment of the new DP cable not solving the issue, I went and posted on the AMD Community Forums (no replies as yet) before retiring to bed last night, when I remembered that when I first got this LG 34" Ultra-wide Monitor, I didn't have this issue at all, so it had to be something that has changed since. No other hardware has changed since, so it had to one of 2 things, Windows Update or Drivers, as I update my video card drivers whenever AMD release a new version.

So this morning, I thought I'd install an earlier driver, tried to find the version that I'd likely to have had installed when I got the monitor but couldn't find them, all I had was a copy of a older version (18.7.4), so I installed those, and hey presto, the issue is no longer present.

I have just updated to the latest version whilst choosing NOT to install the latest HDMI Audio Drivers and the issue hasn't returned, So, it appears the issue is with the drivers for the HDMI audio part of the display adaptor.

So now, am happily using my VESA certified DP cable and have perfect sound.

Edited by johnporter29