• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

A way to make Bandwidth Caps suck a little less.

Recommended Posts

+warwagon    13,028

My parents have a bandwidth cap (Not unlimited) on their Internet, so they dumb down the quality of Netflix to save bandwidth, but a lot of services such as Amazon prime do not give you that option and if Amazon Prime sees a 60 Mbps connection they will saturate it to the best of their ability.

 

So I used the UniFi® AP (wireless access point) I got them and created a separate wireless network and capped that wifi network at 5 Mbps.

 

When they connect their streaming device on that wifi connection every service thinks they only have a 5 Mbps connection and will change the quality accordingly. Thus they can watch A LOT more content at a fraction of the bandwidth usage.

 

When the grandkids come over and want to sit and watch youtube for hours on their phone or tablets they also get put on the throttled network.

 

I also did this at my GF's house. We have a 100 Mbps connection with 300 GB data cap. So I created a throttled network and also capped it at 5 Mbps. The Roku TV connects to that network. I just checked and so far we have saved around 75 - 80 GB in data. Before that I always felt bad sitting on the couch watching Youtube, just knowing it's "Using up" data. That feeling is now gone :)

 

If your internet service has a data cap and you want to watch more content per month without going over and don't mind the reduction in video quality, this is a great way to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulphy    1,440

I have a fully UniFi setup house ( USG 3P, CloudKey Gen2+, Pro & LR AP's, 3x 8 port POE switches) ... annoyed with the bandwidth restrictions when using IDS/IPS ... i have a 500MB connection (unlimited :)  :):) )  ..... i just want me a DreamMachine now... but cant get the darn thing in the UK.... yet!

 

But am impressed how many folks are moving into the ubiquiti space, with what you can achieve on the devices, and not pay rediculous money! I had Cisco Meraki before... then was gifted some ap's and a gen1 CK..... binned all my meraki kit. Just collecting dust now :)

 

Nice post War! fighting the unifi corner :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,028
10 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

I have a fully UniFi setup house ( USG 3P, CloudKey Gen2+, Pro & LR AP's, 3x 8 port POE switches) ... annoyed with the bandwidth restrictions when using IDS/IPS ... i have a 500MB connection (unlimited :)  :):) )  ..... i just want me a DreamMachine now... but cant get the darn thing in the UK.... yet!

 

But am impressed how many folks are moving into the ubiquiti space, with what you can achieve on the devices, and not pay rediculous money! I had Cisco Meraki before... then was gifted some ap's and a gen1 CK..... binned all my meraki kit. Just collecting dust now :)

 

Nice post War! fighting the unifi corner :D 

We all have a Ubiquiti Wi-Fi access point myself my parents and my girlfriend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,870
9 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

I have a fully UniFi setup house ( USG 3P, CloudKey Gen2+, Pro & LR AP's, 3x 8 port POE switches) ... annoyed with the bandwidth restrictions when using IDS/IPS ... i have a 500MB connection (unlimited :)  :):) )  ..... i just want me a DreamMachine now... but cant get the darn thing in the UK.... yet!

 

But am impressed how many folks are moving into the ubiquiti space, with what you can achieve on the devices, and not pay rediculous money! I had Cisco Meraki before... then was gifted some ap's and a gen1 CK..... binned all my meraki kit. Just collecting dust now :)

 

Nice post War! fighting the unifi corner :D 

I paid around 1.2k for my Ubiquiti equipment. Whatchu talkin bout not ridiculous money? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,678
16 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I paid around 1.2k for my Ubiquiti equipment. Whatchu talkin bout not ridiculous money? 😉

1.2k? is that all? hehe...

 

48 port PoE switch... $900ish

6 AC AP Pro's...$800ish

1x cloud key $100ish

1x UniFi Security Gateway XG - $2500k

8x SFP+ transceivers (dont ask)

 

and one microtik router as backup... 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulphy    1,440
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I paid around 1.2k for my Ubiquiti equipment. Whatchu talkin bout not ridiculous money? 😉

hahaha, have you compared it to Meraki???? Switch around £600.... then there is the renewal of the cloud enrollment, £1200 i got a quote for, PER YEAR! 

And that is just the switch! the AP was around £400... and the same £1200 again for the cloud license...!

 

At least the Unifi SDN, firmwares etc, come FOC..... if i remember right, to have them in the cloud service, its around £10 per year...... sooooo, yup, compared to Meraki, cheap as chips my friend!! :)  :) :) 

 

Ubiquiti can take my monies with a smile! ;) 

 

...... still want a UDM tho!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517

That is not a typical home kit ;)

 

A usg3P 130

8 port poe 200

AP pro even 130, or could save money with lite maybe a couple of them.

cloud key not required, can run on their pc..

 

I have 3 AP in my house - their switches not worth the cost to be honest I use cisco smb.. And I couldn't stand using their usg.. Back pfsense as soon as was able too - it sits on my self as option if pfsense goes out.

 

And you sure don't need to use their switches, nor poe the AP come with injectors.  So for like 80 you can get into the unifi AP with a lite.. Even if you use their usg3p and their non poe switch 8 your like hair over 300$  Which is line with many home budgets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517
2 hours ago, warwagon said:

if Amazon Prime sees a 60 Mbps connection they will saturate it to the best of their ability.

I don't think that is true to be honest.. When I get home will test that out... Also lets keep in mind it comes down to total data transferred - not the rate it was transferred at.. If the movie is 14GB in UHD, doesn't matter if you download it at 100, or 1ge.. Same goes for SD movie...

 

Other then wanting crappy quality video and poor network performance, this make no sense!

 

If you watch 3 movies that are 1GB each, you used 3GB - doesn't matter if what speed you downloaded it at..  Your rate limiting their connection is just forcing them to watch crappy quality video is all!!!

 

For example... Here my plex is streaming to 2 people currently.. See how the bandwidth is up and down..

streaming.thumb.png.1b6fdb20b3fc9313595d28fb81bebd51.png

 

its not a constant drain... So while its possible for amazon to maybe spike to your full pipe.. It doesn't go there and sit there for 2 hours while you watch your movie.  Your solution is just FORCING them to watch video at crappy bit rates that can fit into 5mbps..  Or buffer like crazy, etc. as the buffer keeps running out..

 

Your sort of solution would something you could do if streamers in the house were sucking up all the bandwidth and you wanted to have some for gaming or something.. But it is not the correct solution to save total amount used for their bandwidth cap.. The solution to that is to use the SD or HD plan on netflix vs the UHD plan..

 

Not home to check the amazon ap on my tv - but my phone for sure allows me to set the quality of the movie and how much bandwidth it will use for amazon prime video

Image-1.thumb.png.9338da5b4fa35dec06956768297a7287.png

 

If your device doesn't allow to set this - that would seem a problem in the app/software and not amazon service in general. Or select which format of the movie to watch when you watch it, etc.  Let me go check the settings on my son's firebox..

 

Yeah you can limit the quality right on the firebox,

dataset.thumb.jpg.be2c4fcd0fe2310fcfd2dae0d4c8faaa.jpg

 

So yeah all your doing is forcing them to use a crappy connection ;)  If they want to save data for their cap would be to set it in the devices to watch crappy quality video - which they could change easy when they want to watch something in better quality..  I know for sure you can set quality on the youtube vdeos as well.

 

Then again - are they using their cap, are they getting close to it even... Maybe they are watching video in crappy resolution for no reason ;)

 

So while yes the unifi AP are great, and have lots of great things you can do with them.. Limiting your parents to watch crappy video quality via rate limit is not really something I would suggest anyone do ;)  Cheaper solution for this idea would be to just get a OLD crappy G wifi router...  which would be better than 5mbps you forcing them to use like a B connection..

 

Really curious what their actual cap is so can figure out how many hours of video they can stream at what quality that would push their cap.. 250GB for example could watch like 20 2 hour movies a month in UHD to hit that cap..

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,804

5 Mbps? Does that even let you stream 1080p? I would bump that up to at least 10 Mbps. Do you have any other providers or can you switch to a different package?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,870
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, neufuse said:

1.2k? is that all? hehe...

 

48 port PoE switch... $900ish

6 AC AP Pro's...$800ish

1x cloud key $100ish

1x UniFi Security Gateway XG - $2500k

8x SFP+ transceivers (dont ask)

 

and one microtik router as backup... 😄

For home? My stuff is all home use.  That would be...a smidge overkill in my case LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,678
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

For home? My stuff is all home use.  That would be...a smidge overkill in my case LOL.

yep, home, have a >1Gbps (2Gbps symmetric) internet connection so needed a router that can handle that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,870
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yep, home, have a >1Gbps (2Gbps symmetric) internet connection so needed a router that can handle that 

Ah--my USG can handle my 1Gbps so I've not yet hit the threshold to need something that extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jelabarre59    2
2 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

5 Mbps? Does that even let you stream 1080p? I would bump that up to at least 10 Mbps. Do you have any other providers or can you switch to a different package?

 

 

People need to remember, some of us have perfectly fine televisions that don't display 1080p (or at least if they do, you can't notice any difference from lower resolutions).  SO why bother streaming a higher rate that you can't see the difference on anyway?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517
2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

a smidge overkill in my case LOL. 

Yah think ;)  But if in your budget - then hell yeah I would have the same sort of stuff.. My sg4860 is most expensive single piece of networking gear in my home network ;)

 

But what is nice with the unifi stuff is can do it with a typical home budget 200ish for example.. Or sure you can get up to $$ for higher level stuff.. My cisco sg300-28 was only $180 for example... When I go over 200 in a purchase the budget committee (wife) normal gives me the freaking eye roll which I like to avoid at all costs ;)

23 minutes ago, jelabarre59 said:

don't display 1080p (or at least if they do, you can't notice any difference from lower resolutions). 

Then do that at the ap level.. Only pay for the SD package from netflix, etc... Rate limiting your whole wireless network to 5mbps is just not the way to do it!!!

 

edit: here is another example why rate limit your wireless to such a low value.. Even when streaming lower bit rate movies.. Here someone is streaming a 3mbps bitrate movie - notice the spikes above 12mbps.. That is because movies are normally not at a constant bitrate no matter what the average overall bitrate.. When you get to point of video where there is lots of changes in the picture - the bitrate could spike.. In a situation where your limiting the rate to so low,  unless there is plenty of buffer available and the rate your downloading at can build up a buffere your going to see a pause in your stream when the rate of the video exceeds what you have buffered and what your download speed allows for..

bitrates.thumb.png.4a5a27773261db07920ea4319d780517.png

 

I can see nothing but problems with rate limiting to such a low rate and even trying to stream SD video.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,028
4 hours ago, BudMan said:

I don't think that is true to be honest.. When I get home will test that out... Also lets keep in mind it comes down to total data transferred - not the rate it was transferred at.. If the movie is 14GB in UHD, doesn't matter if you download it at 100, or 1ge.. Same goes for SD movie...

 

Other then wanting crappy quality video and poor network performance, this make no sense!

 

If you watch 3 movies that are 1GB each, you used 3GB - doesn't matter if what speed you downloaded it at..  Your rate limiting their connection is just forcing them to watch crappy quality video is all!!!

 

For example... Here my plex is streaming to 2 people currently.. See how the bandwidth is up and down..

streaming.thumb.png.1b6fdb20b3fc9313595d28fb81bebd51.png

 

its not a constant drain... So while its possible for amazon to maybe spike to your full pipe.. It doesn't go there and sit there for 2 hours while you watch your movie.  Your solution is just FORCING them to watch video at crappy bit rates that can fit into 5mbps..  Or buffer like crazy, etc. as the buffer keeps running out..

 

Your sort of solution would something you could do if streamers in the house were sucking up all the bandwidth and you wanted to have some for gaming or something.. But it is not the correct solution to save total amount used for their bandwidth cap.. The solution to that is to use the SD or HD plan on netflix vs the UHD plan..

 

Not home to check the amazon ap on my tv - but my phone for sure allows me to set the quality of the movie and how much bandwidth it will use for amazon prime video

Image-1.thumb.png.9338da5b4fa35dec06956768297a7287.png

 

If your device doesn't allow to set this - that would seem a problem in the app/software and not amazon service in general. Or select which format of the movie to watch when you watch it, etc.  Let me go check the settings on my son's firebox..

 

Yeah you can limit the quality right on the firebox,

dataset.thumb.jpg.be2c4fcd0fe2310fcfd2dae0d4c8faaa.jpg

 

 

 

My gf uses roku and my parents use a shield tv (GF has a shield tv too, but roku is easier for he because it's built into the tv). That quality setting may be FireTV only. Gf's Data cap is 300 gig, at most with only setting netflix to a lower quality used 75%. I also use the connection to work remotely from her house doing remote support. Rents, I dunno, 300-400GB but my mom says she "Banks" bandwidth  for when the grandkids come to visit here shortcut because they just stream videos constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,513
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, neufuse said:

yep, home, have a >1Gbps (2Gbps symmetric) internet connection so needed a router that can handle that 

How much does that cost? I was on 1Gbps for about a year until my ISP offered me 500mbit for 15 bucks a month and saved 50 bucks a month by downgrading.., noticed zero difference on most day to day activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,678
2 hours ago, shockz said:

How much does that cost? I was on 1Gbps for about a year until my ISP offered me 500mbit for 15 bucks a month and saved 50 bucks a month by downgrading.., noticed zero difference on most day to day activities.

$249 a month for a dedicated ethernet fiber line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517
2 hours ago, shockz said:

me 500mbit for 15 bucks a month

Wow that would be freaking fantastic!!!!  you get that up too?  Im on 500/50 for 59$ a month - which was huge savings over the 100 I was paying for 75/10 with comcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,028
3 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Wow that would be freaking fantastic!!!!  you get that up too?  Im on 500/50 for 59$ a month - which was huge savings over the 100 I was paying for 75/10 with comcast.

Nice ... I’m 150/3 for $69 ... parents just got updated to fiber in the country with 60/60 for not sure how much I think the Same as they were paying before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517

And what is their cap on the 60/60 line? Were they hitting it , going over it before you thought it was a good idea to cut their bandwidth to less than a 10th of that whey are paying for ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,513
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Wow that would be freaking fantastic!!!!  you get that up too?  Im on 500/50 for 59$ a month - which was huge savings over the 100 I was paying for 75/10 with comcast.

500/50 which is a bummer, usually speed test right around that range... 525 down and 52 or so up... but they've treated us well. I have a whole other ton of services with them in a bundle to more than make up for that cheap price, but for now, that 15 bucks makes it worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,028
9 minutes ago, BudMan said:

And what is their cap on the 60/60 line? Were they hitting it , going over it before you thought it was a good idea to cut their bandwidth to less than a 10th of that whey are paying for ;)

Actually it would be a 12th. My parents actually love it. They would always crap down Netflix to lowest setting anyway and would be annoyed when streaming services would not let them adjust the quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517

You still haven't answered the basic question - and yeah I bet they love working with interfaces at with speeds less than 802.11B <rolleyes>  Must be speedy loading the interface..

 

What streaming service doesn't allow them??  All of them allow you to!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,028
6 minutes ago, BudMan said:

You still haven't answered the basic question - and yeah I bet they love working with interfaces at with speeds less than 802.11B <rolleyes>  Must be speedy loading the interface..

 

What streaming service doesn't allow them??  All of them allow you to!!!

Right now I'm in the Amazon Prime settings on the Roku app and I do not see a section to lower the quality of the video. I also don't see a setting for that in the Hulu app as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,517

I am not home to look at my roku(s) - but will look when I get back home on the 5th.  You can always use the override on a roku

https://www.howtogeek.com/289289/how-to-limit-bandwidth-usage-on-your-roku/

The Home button five times.

The Rewind button three times.

And finally, the Fast Forward button two times.

 

But "hulu" very low bandwidth anyway.. even 1080p is listed at only 6mbps..  But you can adjust right in your account using your browser

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/video-quality-settings?language=en_US

 

 

If no setting on your app or device.  Since your device logins in with your account it will be using these setting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.