• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Peculiar system fault

Andy_Mac    1

Hey guys, 

Hoping one of you might have come across something like this before and have some insight.

Long story short, after 8 years with a perfectly performing system i decided to build a new system to get 4k output. This new build ran trouble free for 6+ months with everything except the case, data HDD's and PSU being replaced.

Then without warning one day the system would not turn on, no sign of issues when running the day before, no particular updates done that I could think of.

I attempted to troubleshoot the fault without finding a clear fault. removing hardware made no difference. Tried resetting the CMOS and also tried to force the backup BIOS through some methods mentioned online with no luck either. after the PSU being turned off for half an hour when turned back on all Mobo LED's would flash for a second then nothing. I can hear a tick when first pressing the power button after this then nothing when pressed again.

Tested the PSU using the old Mobo and CPU which powered up fine when connected to the case power buttons so don't think the PSU can be at fault.

At this point I RMA'd the Mobo through the retailer. They never said much to me but sent a replacement board down with the BIOS updated from F6 to F40.

Installed everything and it fired up first time, this then ran problem free for 3-4 days with a couple of shutdowns before the same thing as last time occured, normal shutdown but virtually dead the next day. RMA'd it once more. Same deal, they sent down a replacement board updated from F6 to F40, this then worked perfectly for 3-4 days before failing in the exact same way as the previous two.

Any idea what may be the fault here? they took the CPU aswell with the second board and assumedly tested it but found no problem. Short of RMAing it again i'm at a bit of a loss.

System specs:

Ryzen 5 2600X

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500gb

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WIFI

Gigabyte GTX1070

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8gb

Various HDD's

Seasonic X-Series 1050w 

Sulphy    1,442

I had a similar issue with a different setup, and turned out the 12v rail on the PSU was at fault! Even though the PSU powered up fine using a different, older board! 

I replaced the PSU, and it was all good.

Have you tried another PSU on that board?

Could be a totally different issue, but at least something else ticked off the troubleshooting list.

:)

• Like 1

Andy_Mac    1
Posted (edited)

Na not yet but had been considering picking up a more suitably sized PSU, being one of the remaining older pieces it has been on my mind as a potential issue.

Just seems weird that it would work without issue for a few days then not. I only shut down the PC but never turn off the PSU so wonder if it could have something to do with it failing after a few days then being completely unplugged for a few days resets something internally.

Edit: Actually forgot after the first failure I did take it to a local shop to see if they could confirm it being the Mobo before sending it in for a RMA and they said they tried to boot it with another PSU and it behaved as it did with my one.

Could have been that my PSU had damaged the board at that point but very hard to confirm.

Mindovermaster    2,395

Yeah, sounds like your PSU is dying. I don't think it is your board.

But just get a new PSU.

And RMA the old PSU. Seasonic are very good at RMA. :)

Andy_Mac    1
Posted (edited)

Just tracked down the invoice, it was purchased April 2012 so is out of their warranty period. Only 5 years for pre sept 2012 PSU’s, 7 for post.

Guess I'll grab one tomorrow and see what happens. 

Any particular brand that currently stands out above the rest? I'll be looking at something with 650-750w and fully modular. 

The 1070 sucks a whole lot less than the old SLI 580’s so can afford to downsize considerably.

Mindovermaster    2,395
Posted (edited)

Seasonic is #1, BUT any computer hardware can fail at any time, even the best.

I live by this: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

Pick from the A, A+, or S line.

Edit: And btw, Seasonic does sometimes RMA items that are out of warranty. Might want to still try. :)

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,565
6 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Just tracked down the invoice, it was purchased April 2012 so is out of their warranty period. Only 5 years for pre sept 2012 PSU’s, 7 for post.

Guess I'll grab one tomorrow and see what happens. 

Any particular brand that currently stands out above the rest? I'll be looking at something with 650-750w and fully modular. 

The 1070 sucks a whole lot less than the old SLI 580’s so can afford to downsize considerably.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is one of the best sources out there, community approved and they arent sponsored by anyone.

• Like 1

goretsky    1,054

Hello,

I have had good results recently with ATX PSUs from EVGA, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic and Silverstone (the latter being SFX form-factor, not ATX).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Andy_Mac    1

Well that didn’t quite work out. Grabbed a Corsair RM850i as none of the smaller ones we're available. Set it all up, turned the power supply on and the same quick flash from the LED’s occurred, then pressed the power button and heard a tick and nothing more. 

So unless the board has been damaged by the old PSU there still is something else causing issues.

Andy_Mac    1

Have had trouble free operation now that the board and PSU have been replaced. The x470 board was no longer available so ended up upgrading to an ASUS TUF x570.

• Like 1