Teenager Accused of Rape Deserves Leniency Because He’s From a ‘Good Family,’ Judge Says

10 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

He wasn't of age to give willing consent either, so by your logic, they are BOTH sex offenders.

The video would be the telling of it. Which initiated the encounter. Would did the 'work' for said action to happen?

Sounds like from the positioning in the video he would be the aggressor/initiator.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, margrave said:

The video would be the telling of it. Which initiated the encounter. Would did the 'work' for said action to happen?

Sounds like from the positioning in the video he would be the aggressor/initiator.

Without the preamble to the act also being in the video, it's impossible to make that judgement call.

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I see, so because he's male, despite BOTH of them being drunk and BOTH of them being underage, HE is the one to is the attacker?

Or perhaps she just consented at the time because, you know, BOTH WERE DRUNK, and then really regretted it later?  Innocent until PROVEN guilty...  

Maybe it was a sexual emergency, will that do? It's worked before. 

He admitted what the court could not. 

I see visions of brown paper bags full of money in this decision. What else could it be? The Littleb..tard admitting to raping her. 

It's not like he didn't know what he was doing. I hope she has big brothers who will take care of business. 

Given some other teen got away with some crime because he was "too rich to know right from wrong," this doesn't surprise me. Of course I also wouldn't be surprised if the judge was slipped a few dollar bills by the boy's parents.

Without the preamble to the act also being in the video, it's impossible to make that judgement call.

Preamble?! No amount of flirting is an excuse/reasoning to rape.

The real bad guys in all of this event are the parents though.

He wasn't of age to give willing consent either, so by your logic, they are BOTH sex offenders.

If we take age into consent then you are correct.

They were each 16.

They were each under the influence of alcohol.

Unless she was tied to a chair, I don't see how she's an "unwilling" participant in ANY activity that took place at that party.

SHE chose to drink, just as HE did.

The fact that he has video actually helps to prove that point - If she's not struggling and the video shows that - It's not rape.

It's a regrettable decision that each of them will have to deal with and move on.

It's called a life lesson, learn and grow from it.

I find it funny how so many people make an adult decision, then complain about dealing with the adult consequences.

8 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Doc, according to the article. BOTH were 16 and BOTH were drunk.  Neither of them could legally consent OR be fully responsible as both were drunk. If he raped her, then she also raped him...

Ridiculous.

The boy filmed himself penetrating her from behind, her torso exposed, her head hanging down

She was clearly passive, and likely passed out. He was clearly active and together enough to not only do the deed but operate equipment.

Also; we prosecute drunk drivers if they hit another drunk, for Murder 2 if the victim dies.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Whistlesix said:

- If she's not struggling and the video shows that - It's not rape.

What country are you in? In the US, such behavior is a 20 year sentence looking for a place to happen.

Further, in many states a 3rd party coming upon the scene has the right to defend her - up to and including shooting the rapist. Michigan,

SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT) Act 309 of 2006

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

>

Edited by DocM

19 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Now obviously I don't have all the information based on just the article, however I have to ask, is this REALLY rape?  2 kids, at a party where everyone's drunk, and they decide to do it. Later, when she's sober, she realises she's a dumbass.

Is this REALLY rape, or just teens being teens and doing what teens do? Because seriously, when I was that age, I did the exact same thing several times, and it sure as hell wasn't rape!

Teens are teens. Stupid, horny, and when drunk, prone to doing stuff they'll regret later.  Stop making criminals of them for being dumbasses.

Does this answer your question?

According to court documents, the boy filmed the encounter, the girl's bare torso exposed and her head repeatedly banging against a wall. He allegedly shared the video with friends, and it continued to circulate for months despite the girl's pleas for him to stop its dissemination. 

At one point, according to documents, he texted friends: "[w]hen your first time having sex was rape."

[...]

A lot of information about the case, including the defendant's name, is sealed because he is a minor. However, court documents reveal additional details about the incident: The girl, referred to in documents as "Mary," which is not her real name, was visibly drunk at the party before the encounter.

At some point, she and the defendant entered a darkened part of the house's basement.

The appeal decision describes what happened next:

"While on the sofa, a group of boys sprayed Febreze on Mary's bottom and slapped it with such force that the following day she had hand marks on her buttocks."

Mary, who according to court documents had slurred speech and stumbled as she walked, entered a darkened part of the house's basement with the defendant where the alleged assault took place.

Afterward, the defendant left, and his friends found Mary on the floor, vomiting. She was eventually driven home by a friend's mother.

"The following morning, Mary discussed with her mother her fear that sexual things had happened at the party. She did not understand how she could have gotten bruise marks on her body or how her clothing had torn," the decision reads. 

Mary and her family decided to press charges several months later, after Mary learned that the defendant was sharing video of the incident among their social circles despite telling her that there was no video.

source: 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/new-jersey-rape-minor-teen-judge-case-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

several months later

At worst, she was taken advantage of, I'll give you that, but it wasn't a rape.

You don't wait several months to report a crime. If you were raped, you'd know the next morning you had been raped for sure and called the cops.

The shared video is the real culprit.

Had the boy never shared it, she would never have reported it.

Edited by Peresvet

15 hours ago, Whistlesix said:

If she's not struggling and the video shows that - It's not rape.

Excuse me while I go and get some chloroform and a cloth. 

I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of understanding around here about what constitutes rape... :/

Just to add to @Mockingbirdpost above.

G.M.C. denied having recorded the encounter and said that their friends were lying. When Mary learned that G.M.C. had continued to disseminate the clip, her mother contacted the authorities. At that point the family's focus was the destruction of the film. Unfortunately, after securing clearance from his sergeant, the first investigating officer urged G.M.C. and his friends to all delete the video, which apparently they did.

I will agree that it wasnt premeditated but it was intentional. She was in no fit state to give concent, he was. He was also calous enough to record it and forward it to his friends stating it was rape. If she was capable of giving concent and gave it then sure, equal blame and she is crying wolf but from the information we have, he is a PoS that should be held accountable.

As for the several months later bull, Harvey Weinstein mean antthing to you??

9 hours ago, Peresvet said:

At worst, she was taken advantage of, I'll give you that, but it wasn't a rape.

You don't wait several months to report a crime. If you were raped, you'd know the next morning you had been raped for sure and called the cops.

One of the largest problems in sexual assault is getting victim's to report. They don't for many reasons; embarrassment, stigma within their culture, and sometimes they fear testifying in open court - having  to describe the intimate details out loud.

9 hours ago, Peresvet said:

The shared video is the real culprit.

Had the boy never shared it, she would never have reported it.

His sharing was an admission of guilt which makes a plea bargain, and her not having to testify in court, much more likely. 

Kid should be tried like any other rapist.  Fact that he came from a good family, good grade.....does not matter.   He knew what he did was wrong and was sharing the videos online and should pay the price for it.  Kids name was with held since he is minor, but his name will get out and when it does, he will find it hard to do things in life.

I'm surprised at how differently I'm looking at this then you @FloatingFatMan I very rarely disagree with the things you say but in this circumstance you are blowing my mind.

Girl. Unconscious.

Boy. Conscious.

Boy films her being penetrated by said boy, with all information suggesting she was unable to resist let alone consent as she was passed tf out.

Boy says he raped her. And like a complete ass shares the video with his friends saying it's rape.

"They raped each other".

All of my "what" have all of them...

I get it, teenagers get drunk and screw around, been there done that. This was not that. This was rape.

This thread is changing my views of people.  Elevating some who I have felt very strong differences of opinion with in the past, but throwing some through the floor!

5 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

This thread is changing my views of people.  Elevating some who I have felt very strong differences of opinion with in the past, but throwing some through the floor!

I bet I know exactly who you're referring to :)It's like opposite day!

28 minutes ago, astropheed said:

I'm surprised at how differently I'm looking at this then you @FloatingFatMan I very rarely disagree with the things you say but in this circumstance you are blowing my mind.

Girl. Unconscious.

Boy. Conscious.

Boy films her being penetrated by said boy, with all information suggesting she was unable to resist let alone consent as she was passed tf out.

Boy says he raped her. And like a complete ass shares the video with his friends saying it's rape.

"They raped each other".

All of my "what" have all of them...

I get it, teenagers get drunk and screw around, been there done that. This was not that. This was rape.

The girl was neither unconscious nor protesting. it was only after they boy wouldn't stop sending the video out that she finally accused him of rape...

Is the boy a bloody idiot? Yes!  But so is the girl.

Is this rape?  Only after some time had passed AND the boy wouldn't stop sending the video out did the girl decide yes, so really.. No it isn't!

People need to stop throwing in their unconscious biases and invented/suppositions of events and stick to the known facts of the case.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

People need to stop throwing in their unconscious biases and invented/suppositions of events and stick to the known facts of the case.

The known "facts" were stated that her head was banging the head board and hanging down. That's a pretty strong indication she is unconscious as it's not a position I'd think would be very comfortable. Is there any evidence stating she was conscious?

So, let's play on the assumption she was conscious. How often do you think a rape is immediately reported? How long do you think it'd take to gather the courage to report a rape against someone who is clearly popular enough to do this? How illegal is it to film two underage minors having sex and show off the film to other people? How illegal is it to state you've raped someone with video evidence? 

• Like 2

The boy even called it rape in a text.  Fact that she did not consent to anything holds value as well.   Sexual assault at the very least.  And it was months after, not years.  So that is understandable.   The boy also lied that anything happened between the two.  What isn't said is how soon after the girl found out about the video, she reported to police.

https://people.com/crime/nj-judge-says-teenager-rape-deserves-leniency/

Investigators found text-message evidence from the days that followed the assault. In messages to his friends, the accused teen wrote of the encounter, “[W]hen your first time having sex was rape.”

The victim discovered bruises about her body the next morning, and expressed her fears she had been raped to her mother.

“Over the course of several months, [the victim] learned that G.M.C.’s video had been circulated among his friends and their mutual acquaintances, and she attempted to communicate with him about it,” reads the appeals court decision. “She repeatedly told G.M.C. that she was more interested in putting the episode behind her than anything else. G.M.C. denied having recorded the encounter and said that their friends were lying.”

The girl’s mother called police after discovering the footage was still being shared amongst her daughter’s peers.

Looks like the girl suspected there was a video.  The boy denied recording anything, said his friends were lying.  Then she found out there was a video and it was still being shared so her mom contacted authorities.   So now there was proof of the encounter and not just her word against his.

13 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

stick to the known facts of the case

Those being that you don't define the statute of limitations?

33 minutes ago, astropheed said:

I bet I know exactly who you're referring to :)It's like opposite day!

A few people, not one specifically.  

On 7/3/2019 at 2:31 AM, Peresvet said:

Have you watched Superbad?

It's a hilarious film.

Almost everyone tries to lose their virginity before the prom these days.

Are you comparing real life to a fictional movie?  Seriously? 

• Like 2