Need outdoor security camera!!!

Hi! I've been looking at outdoor security cameras for a few days now. I don't know what to get. The camera must have WiFi, cloud storage and night vision. Reason is, I don't have option to plug LAN cable from my room/router to front of the house. I was looking at something like this, but then I saw it has usb cable which needs to be always plugged in, but that's not an option since I would have to make a whole through the house.

https://www.tp-link.com/se/home-networking/cloud-camera/kc200/

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

Have you looked into the Nest outdoor cameras?

Seems like it has all the features you want but they are a little pricey and requires a subscription to make use of cloud storage.

1 hour ago, yoco said:

Hi! I've been looking at outdoor security cameras for a few days now. I don't know what to get. The camera must have WiFi, cloud storage and night vision. Reason is, I don't have option to plug LAN cable from my room/router to front of the house. I was looking at something like this, but then I saw it has usb cable which needs to be always plugged in, but that's not an option since I would have to make a whole through the house.

https://www.tp-link.com/se/home-networking/cloud-camera/kc200/

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

Does it need to be plugged in? The specs state it has WiFi.

It would need to be plugged in for power.

7 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Does it need to be plugged in? The specs state it has WiFi.

It would need to be plugged in for power.

I know it has WiFi. It's that cable that I don't know whats it for. Is it power supply, does it need to be plugged in all the time?

2 minutes ago, yoco said:

I know it has WiFi. It's that cable that I don't know whats it for. Is it power supply, does it need to be plugged in all the time?

Power and yes plugged in all the time.

I have this Arlo set (although mine came with only 2 cams and the older box so was slightly cheaper) and it's pretty good :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-VMS3330-Security-Percent-Wire-Free/dp/B00TDNYNN0

1080p, has night vision but only one LED, wifi enabled but they show the battery level and are easy to replace, magnetic mount (you can get different types of mount too), it's backed up for a week for free but you can get longer storage for a monthly fee. You can also set target areas of the image for movement detection/recording and also use it for package collection, animal recognition, etc.

You can view them any time remotely using either a web page or their mobile app.

Set up is pretty idiot proof tbh

MyArlo.png

Arlo is a Netgear company/trademark too so it's all Netgear stuff (whether that's bad or good :) )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I have this Arlo set (although mine came with only 2 cams and the older box so was slightly cheaper) and it's pretty good :

1080p, has night vision but only one LED, wifi enabled but they show the battery level and are easy to replace, magnetic mount (you can get different types of mount too), it's backed up for a week for free but you can get longer storage for a monthly fee. You can also set target areas of the image for movement detection/recording and also use it for package collection, animal recognition, etc.

You can view them any time remotely using either a web page or their mobile app.

MyArlo.png

Arlo is a Netgear company/trademark too so it's all Netgear stuff (whether that's bad or good :) )

How long is the battery life on there? 

Do these record contantly with alerts for specific things?

30 minutes ago, yoco said:

Does this one need power supply as well? I can't see in specs

https://www.conceptronic.net/product.php?id=951&linkid=948

It's a problem for me, because I can't make any holes on our facade. I never planned having security cameras, but sh*t's been happening for the past year, so now I need to get one!

Yep those need external power too

https://reolink.com/battery-powered-outdoor-security-cameras/

33 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

How long is the battery life on there? 

Do these record contantly with alerts for specific things?

Battery is pretty decent tbh, replacements are quite cheap too, the battery model is CR123, you can get a charger with a pack of them on Amazon for around £30 or just buy new ones. They don't record constantly, the cameras are motion triggered but you can change sensitivity, do manual recordings/pictures too using the interface I showed above. There's a lot of other options including a beta for package delivery proof (see attached).

It's all configurable from either the webpage or the app.

The features depend on the package you choose, as I said, they will store recordings for a week with the free package (You can download a copy of the video obviously) or you can get longer storage with other packages, mine keeps recordings for a month:

Arlo Smart Premier

Up to 10 cameras and 30 days of video playback.

Enhanced Notifications

Activity Zones

Person Detection

Here is the US page for the packages :

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlosmart/

You can mix and match newer versions of cameras with older, use security lights with the system including IR which you can place closer to the subject you want to record/capture, triggered by movement, have some cameras with audio and some without, basically go as far as you want with the security and keep adding devices (up to 10 in my case).

I might have my front one too sensitive as it regularly gets triggered by plants moving and insects flying past the camera

I didn't even have to go up a ladder to install those, just leaned out the window, drilled a hole, stuck in a rawlplug, installed the magnetic mount and then plopped the camera on top. It's not moved since and I live in lovely, blustery Scotland

Although you can get screw mounts for them instead if you prefer : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I985WRK 

Here's a video that shows the magnetic mount :

Arlo2.PNG

Arlo3.PNG

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

1 hour ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

MyArlo.png

What's the range on HUB? Are batteries special or AA batteries?

I read a lot of not so great reviews on amazon about cameras shutting down on their own?

33 minutes ago, yoco said:

What's the range on HUB? Are batteries special or AA batteries?

I read a lot of not so great reviews on amazon about cameras shutting down on their own?

Cr123's

image.thumb.png.2d4ed0c3740610328c0fb35192400fbe.png

I personally wouldn't go that route. I want something being powered over a POE router which can then be connected to a UPS. I don't want batteries dying wilinilly. But that's just me. For me personally, I have a video feed on a monitor down stairs and one above my TV in the living room. In my case I don't think batteries would last very long doing that. All that being said, I can see the appeal of easy setup and no wires.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I personally wouldn't go that route. I want something being powered over a POE router which can then be connected to a UPS. I don't want batteries dying wilinilly.

Yeah I think the preference would be to have constant power, but I think OP lives in a rented house/flat so won't be able to properly  route cables, hence the request for battery powered cameras.

11 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah I think the preference would be to have constant power, but I think OP lives in a rented house/flat so won't be able to properly  route cables, hence the request for battery powered cameras.

Ya, if that's the case, I did help someone setup an Arlo camera one time. It was stupid simple. The one I saw was magnetically secured, always wondered what would stop people from just pulling them off. I assume they have mounted cases maybe?

I also recommend the Arlo system.  Have previously used the Arlo Pro but now have the Arlo Ultra.  They have been very reliable once the bugs were ironed out.  I use all of mine on battery and only have to charge them every few weeks depending on how much they were active and recording.  There are cable attachments for constant power and even solar panels you can get but I have not used mine that way.

Either you power it via PoE (power over ethernet, like an injector or switch from your router to the camera).

Or you power it via mains and connect it over wifi.

I would use a PoE Hikvision H265+ camera and link it to a Synology.  All ethernet, no WIFI.

2 minutes ago, bledd said:

Either you power it via PoE (power over ethernet, like an injector or switch from your router to the camera).

Or you power it via mains and connect it over wifi.

I would use a PoE Hikvision H265+ camera and link it to a Synology.  All ethernet, no WIFI.

Check out the OP, they can't have wires :)

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

Ya, if that's the case, I did help someone setup an Arlo camera one time. It was stupid simple. The one I saw was magnetically secured, always wondered what would stop people from just pulling them off. I assume they have mounted cases maybe?

That's why both of mine are above the bedroom windows looking down on the front and back of the house, although if someone does try pulling them off at least you'll know who it is :)

So can someone tell me how big are 1080p clips usually? Many of them offer free cloud storage for 2-7 days, but only 1gb of space. Is that even enough? Lets say every clip is 30s long, how many clips could you possibly make before running out of space? And is it possible to use your own hdd for direct storing videos?