• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Disney Bans Grieving Father's Spider-Man Memorial for Son

Recommended Posts

margrave    1,353

Those soulless bastards

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
br0adband    459
Posted (edited)

Capitalism... it created America and made it what it is today, and it will destroy it just as easily.

 

Disney, what the hell are you people doing? 🤨

 

If and when Tom Holland hears about this (if he hasn't already), one can be relatively certain that things will change very very fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+SpeedyTheSnail    1,248

Liberal company. They don't care about people.

 

FYI, they can put all the black people as princesses they want, they don't really care. They race bait to get ratings, lets spread this story to cause a negative PR media hellstorm.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,353

If they were being good Capitalist they would have quoted the man a price. They didn't. They said they're protecting the innocence of Spider-Man.

 

Disney stories are full of death. What innocence?! And Spider-Man is not innocent. Have they not read the comic they bought?!

 

And as for them hiding behind Walt that's complete B.S. as he would not have stood for this. He also wouldn't have let them have that gay parade of theirs so that line of theirs in 'following Walt' is total hogwash.

 

Their stock is down today, and I hope it continues to go down until they properly address this issue they're ignoring.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,723

It is the daily mail....they aren't known for their truthful articles, maybe half truths.  This guy should probably check other news sources.

 

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,089

oh, the sister also suffers from leukodystrophy.   Terrible for the family.  :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,848

Do not really see why it matters to have an engraving on the tombstone.  But then again, I think tombstones and being buried is a waste of space and money.   Disney also did offer....

 

Quote

“Although we cannot grant the family’s request, we would be pleased to commemorate your nephew with a hand-inked, hand-painted, personalized [action frame from the movie] that recognizes his love for Spider-Man, which will read: ‘For your — (nephew’s name).

https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/disney-denies-dads-request-to-put-spider-man-on-4-year-old-sons-grave/

 

and stated....

Quote

A company rep wrote, “We follow a policy that began with Walt Disney himself that does not permit the use of characters on headstones, cemetery or other memorial markers or funeral urns.

 

 

I would much rather have the action frame that I can place somewhere where I can see it everyday as a reminder.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,723

So apparently, according to ny post, it is Disney’s policy to not allow their characters on head stones but gave the family another option.   Good job daily mail for posting half of the story to fulfill your agenda to monsterize companies and people. 

 

Edit: not ny times but ny post. There may be a bit more to this story yet.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,268
2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

So apparently, according to ny times, it is Disney’s policy to not allow their characters on head stones but gave the family another option.   Good job daily mail for posting half of the story to fulfill your agenda to monsterize companies and people. 

And it IS one that Walt himself set many years ago.  People having issues with pride celebrations and other such would love to make more of this than it is, but that's their personal axe to grind and not part of this story.

Also, show me any major corporate that says "Yeah sure, use our intellectual property on a grave stone"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,848
On 7/7/2019 at 1:05 PM, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Liberal company. They don't care about people.

 

FYI, they can put all the black people as princesses they want, they don't really care. They race bait to get ratings, lets spread this story to cause a negative PR media hellstorm.

Liberal, maybe.  But may want to read the full story before saying they do not care.  And really do not see why them making a princess black matters here or society in general.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,353
13 minutes ago, sc302 said:

So apparently, according to ny times, it is Disney’s policy to not allow their characters on head stones but gave the family another option.   Good job daily mail for posting half of the story to fulfill your agenda to monsterize companies and people. 

Can I request a link to this from the NY Times please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,848
1 minute ago, margrave said:

Can I request a link to this from the NY Times please?

I linked it above when I quoted the article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,353

Thanks for the link, but that has nothing new in it that was not mentioned in the initial video I posted.

 

They're a heartless, money hungry, soulless corp. I will no longer give them any money. I don't care what they've bought.

 

https://www.rt.com/news/463593-disney-spiderman-grave-uk/

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?source_location=petitions_browse

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Raze    16,437
38 minutes ago, margrave said:

Thanks for the link, but that has nothing new in it that was not mentioned in the initial video I posted.

 

They're a heartless, money hungry, soulless corp. I will no longer give them any money. I don't care what they've bought.

 

https://www.rt.com/news/463593-disney-spiderman-grave-uk/

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?source_location=petitions_browse

 

I'm sure their bottom line will be greatly affected by your boycott.  (Y) 

 

You might consider boycotting other corporations, many are guilty of the same money hungry, soulless, heartless attitudes.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,723

So you missed this part where they tried to make it right

 

 

A company rep wrote, “We follow a policy that began with Walt Disney himself that does not permit the use of characters on headstones, cemetery or other memorial markers or funeral urns.

“Although we cannot grant the family’s request, we would be pleased to commemorate your nephew with a hand-inked, hand-painted, personalized [action frame from the movie] that recognizes his love for Spider-Man, which will read: ‘For your — (nephew’s name).

 

It isn’t like they are asking the family for money. They are simply stating it is against Walt Disney’s, the deceased owner of the company, policy to not have characters on gravestones.  But they are willing to do something else for them. It was not a “go f yourself” kind of a message.  I am ok with not having a pop culture character on a grave stone. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,353

I didn't miss that. It was in the video I linked also.

 

Unless he can affix that to the grave of his son that's bad comedy.

 

 

I know they won't hurt from just me, but the path of 1000 steps begins with one.

 

 

I am not alone:

 

 

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/community_petitions/Walt_Disney_Marvels_Disney_refuse_SpiderMan_headstone_for_Ollie_Jones_sign_petition_ma_help_change_their_mind/

 

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?recruiter=899413862&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,848
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, margrave said:

Thanks for the link, but that has nothing new in it that was not mentioned in the initial video I posted.

 

They're a heartless, money hungry, soulless corp. I will no longer give them any money. I don't care what they've bought.

 

https://www.rt.com/news/463593-disney-spiderman-grave-uk/

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?source_location=petitions_browse

 

You have the right to spend your money anyway you choose but I doubt a petition is going to make any difference here.   I am also sure that considering how much attention this is getting, the family will be getting donations from people to help out with the cost of caring for their son and now, their daughter.  Which is probably in part the intention of making this public.  And I hope they get a lot of donations considering how much the car for both their kids cost/will cost.

Edited by techbeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,723
54 minutes ago, margrave said:

I didn't miss that. It was in the video I linked also.

 

Unless he can affix that to the grave of his son that's bad comedy.

 

 

I know they won't hurt from just me, but the path of 1000 steps begins with one.

 

 

I am not alone:

 

 

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/community_petitions/Walt_Disney_Marvels_Disney_refuse_SpiderMan_headstone_for_Ollie_Jones_sign_petition_ma_help_change_their_mind/

 

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?recruiter=899413862&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

 

 

 

If they really wanted to the could have a sealed pocket created for the grave stone to put pictures in.  Make a copy of the art and put it in there, when it fades, replace or replace with a picture of the kid or with the family and make it more tasteful and respectful to the child and family.  It is bad comedy to disrespect the dead and their wishes old or newly departed. 

 

 

The  only way I would see that as not the case is if Stan Lee allowed it.  As the creator of marvel, he would get a pass for the characters to be on his headstone as that is what he left for the world to remember him by. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,268

Show me on the doll where Walt hurt you...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quillz    1,011
12 hours ago, margrave said:

Thanks for the link, but that has nothing new in it that was not mentioned in the initial video I posted.

 

They're a heartless, money hungry, soulless corp. I will no longer give them any money. I don't care what they've bought.

 

https://www.rt.com/news/463593-disney-spiderman-grave-uk/

 

https://www.change.org/p/disney-disney-bans-grieving-father-from-having-spider-man-on-sons-grave?source_location=petitions_browse

 

You say this as if corporations exist out there not interested in maximizing profit. All corporations are soulless that care nothing about people, seeing them only as sources of revenue. That’s the very nature of a corporation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rohdekill    773

Take emotion out of the equation and you'd realize that the company has every right to control copyrighted images from being used anywhere, including personal items. 

 

Now, put emotion back into the equation...

1. Ever consider what another child may think upon seeing their favorite character on someone's headstone?  Is their hero dead?

2. Sad fact is, the image isn't for the kid, he can't see it.  It is only for the living relatives.  Now ask yourself this... does ANY image on a tombstone vs one without REALLY result in less grief or provide more solace? 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,353
2 hours ago, Quillz said:

You say this as if corporations exist out there not interested in maximizing profit. All corporations are soulless that care nothing about people, seeing them only as sources of revenue. That’s the very nature of a corporation. 

One of my points is their not being good capitalist. If they were they would have quoted a price for the image on the tombstone. They're NOT maximizing their profits.

 

1 hour ago, Rohdekill said:

Take emotion out of the equation and you'd realize that the company has every right to control copyrighted images from being used anywhere, including personal items. 

 

Now, put emotion back into the equation...

1. Ever consider what another child may think upon seeing their favorite character on someone's headstone?  Is their hero dead?

2. Sad fact is, the image isn't for the kid, he can't see it.  It is only for the living relatives.  Now ask yourself this... does ANY image on a tombstone vs one without REALLY result in less grief or provide more solace? 

 

1. Almost all Disney stories involve death of some kind. Plus it's not hard to just tell the child "No, they're not dead. Just watching over that person"

2. Good point. He won't see it. But if it helped in the memory/grieving for someone, plus it could have made some good coin, then why not?!

 

Plus, are these illegal then?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419327415278090631/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419327415277208713/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/573786808759560147/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/113153009365058837/

73df551955ecde583a534667ac9335b7.jpg

3d2e9f3b1cffdcc07f23f0cfd2446317.jpg

tigger.JPG

custom_cemetery_monument_spiderman_uniqu

 

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9458/page/1/disney-sucks/

 

https://www.richmond-memorials.co.uk/child-baby-memorials/1059-ogee-with-charachter-artwork.html

https://www.cnstatue.com/customized-black-granite-mickey-mouse-shaped-headstone.html

https://www.richmond-memorials.co.uk/bespoke/1054-minnie-mouse.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+ncoday    423
26 minutes ago, margrave said:

One of my points is their not being good capitalist. If they were they would have quoted a price for the image on the tombstone. They're NOT maximizing their profits.

 

1. Almost all Disney stories involve death of some kind. Plus it's not hard to just tell the child "No, they're not dead. Just watching over that person"

2. Good point. He won't see it. But if it helped in the memory/grieving for someone, plus it could have made some good coin, then why not?!

 

Plus, are these illegal then?

 

The short answer, yes. Someone made a profit off selling those tombstones without paying a royalty to Disney. Reality, after the fact Disney is unlikely to force them to take them down. However, beforehand, they have every right to say "No". There is nothing wrong about that. They have to protect their IP or else someone can say you aren't protecting your IP, thus it becomes invalid. Look up patent law, it is pretty clear => protect it or lose it essentially.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
episode    625
45 minutes ago, ncoday said:

The short answer, yes. Someone made a profit off selling those tombstones without paying a royalty to Disney. Reality, after the fact Disney is unlikely to force them to take them down. However, beforehand, they have every right to say "No". There is nothing wrong about that. They have to protect their IP or else someone can say you aren't protecting your IP, thus it becomes invalid. Look up patent law, it is pretty clear => protect it or lose it essentially.

Exactly. You have to protect your IP or risk losing it.

 

And its better to ask forgiveness than permission.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.