• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Desktop stuttering and external drives

devnulllore    31

No sure if this is exclusively a Windows issue or a hardware one but here goes.

I have several slower USB external drives connected to my PC and it seems when Windows accesses them, like when I open a window to "my computer" and it sees the drives I have installed the whole desktop stutters. It became more prevalent when I plugged in a very old USB 2.0 monster drive. Whenever I try to access it I get the stuttering. The best way to describe "stuttering" is everything pauses briefly, just long enough to be annoying. Before I start unplugging drives does anyone know if having these slower drives conected can be causing or adding to the problem? I have all swap activity on them turned off.

+jnelsoninjax    11,826

It kind of sounds like the drive stutters when it is being accessed, which could be normal lag, but if it is doing more than that I would look into the drive health (Crystaldisk, something like that) you say the drive is USB 2, is it plugged into a USB 2 port or is it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, or a hub? Of course standard troubleshooting: do you have another computer to try it on, if so, does it do it on the other system? Drivers up to date? A good program for that would be Snappy Driver Installer (SDI also check power management, see if perhaps the USB ports are being powered down when not being used.

+BudMan    3,513

it could be windows trying to read meta info off the files.. Are they video files for example.. Slink to speeding up stuff for that is to set the directories to general..

devnulllore    31

As it seems the current extreme of stuttering began with release 1903 and since I keep good backups of all my installs I updated to the current preview build which I heard can fix many of the quirky things about Windows and performance. No luck. I am going back to scratch I think with a methodical re-install. Can anyone give me suggestions on what I can try before I do this? I used to be a tweakaholic but never do anything outside of the box anymore for just this very reason. Perhaps there are some initial tweaks I should adhere to in a new install with SSD's or what not?

devnulllore    31
Posted (edited)

I am about to re-install Windows 10. Is there a way to prevent it from upgrading to the product preview. I think I had it set to download betas but i can't see the setting.

EDIT

I just reinstalled and it's downloading and installing the preview as I type. I cannot seem to stop it. There is not even an option to delay updates.

Edited by devnulllore

devnulllore    31

Update:

I did some experimenting. I reloaded windows straight from the disc and ran it for a few hours running all sorts of tests. It passed with flying colors no delays highly responsive. Then I installed the new product preview build 18936 and it all started again immediately after reboot. Not sure what to try for testing now. It seems the worst when I open a file explorer window to My Computer and start clicking on drives. Any ideas?

Vince800    252

Where you getting your install media. Windows would not enrol you in the insider preview by default. Are you installing from an insider build ISO?

devnulllore    31

A retail version of Windows 10 x64 Pro

devnulllore    31

I found the place to opt out of the previews. I'll turn them off and reload again

• Like 1