Windows 10 product preview and partitions

I just installed the latest Windows 10 product preview, not intentionally mind you (that's another story). For some reason it created a 3rd 400mb partition, one being that system reserved another being my OS and then this 3rd one. What is it and do I need it. I assume it has something to do with recovery or rolling backwards. Any ideas?

Yup, I show these partitions... Recovery (400MB), 100MB (EFI sys partition) and the rest is OS. 

I am running build 18932 mind, that has been upgraded from various previous insider builds.

I did see in release notes, that MSFT had setup to carve out a 7GB partition for updates, but not seen it happen on any of my machines tho.

7 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

Yup, I show these partitions... Recovery (400MB), 100MB (EFI sys partition) and the rest is OS. 

I am running build 18932 mind, that has been upgraded from various previous insider builds.

I did see in release notes, that MSFT had setup to carve out a 7GB partition for updates, but not seen it happen on any of my machines tho.

Is this 400mb partition necessary, can I delete it if I do not plan to recover? Is it preventing me from over provisioning my SSD.

7 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Is this 400mb partition necessary, can I delete it if I do not plan to recover? Is it preventing me from over provisioning my SSD.

I suggest not to delete it, just remove their drive letter.

Here is mine, i remove their drive letters.

partition.jpg

2 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

If it were me I would keep it. For one, with the size of HDD's and SDD's these days 400MB is nothing. But also, I wouldn't do it because I can't be certain what would happen. It's really frustrating when I see people complaining that Windows 10 is so unstable and then it turns out that they have made it unstable by forcing things to be switched off/removed that shouldn't be.

You can safely delete it from Disk Management, and expand the OS drive.

But it may re-appear if any dignostics are done, or a major update installs.

Depending on the size of your SSD, i would rather just leave it really. It should not impact the overprovisioning of your SSD, which, in my humble opinion, isnt wise, unless you dont care about losing everything on the drive should something go pear shaped :)

For the price of SSD's these days.... maybe look into getting a larger disk :)

Yes I deleted it but then Windows did another product preview upgrade today and it's back. I am just going to leave it because this time it left my over provisioning space alone.