Toilet issue

Hi, I am having an issue flushing my toilet. Sometimes, it will flush the full contents on the bowl on the 1st flush but other times, I have to flush it twice. I replaced the fill valve thinking that would solve it but it didnt. The flapper is closing completely so I dont think that is the issue, The water is turned on all the way so I dont think it is that either. Any other ideas on what it could be?

TIA

all because of fast food.

eat more fruits/vegetables + pure meat (no bread or any salted sauces) and you will flush it once.

save water-save planet

Is the water level in the tank adequate?  There should be a line for water level...if there isn't then a good rule is the water should be just below the overfill pipe (maybe an inch or so below it).  Also check the flapper mechanism/chain ... too much slack and the flapper probably isn't opening properly and it is falling too quickly.  The chain shouldn't be too tight or loose ... just a little slack.  Really...with respect to the toilet itself that is it...they are simple.  You could have small clog...get a plunger and go to town or roto root it.  If you have a lady in the house make sure she isn't flushing her lady products ... also same for you making sure you're not flushing stuff down that shouldn't be.

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

It could be your roof vent that allows air to flow into the line, probably clogged.. Gonna have to track that vent down on the roof and snake it out.

Could be ... but without other signs (sinks not draining properly, gurgling noises, odor, etc.) I wouldn't do the roof thing yet.  :) 

45 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Is the water level in the tank adequate?  There should be a line for water level...if there isn't then a good rule is the water should be just below the overfill pipe (maybe an inch or so below it).  Also check the flapper mechanism/chain ... too much slack and the flapper probably isn't opening properly and it is falling too quickly.  The chain shouldn't be too tight or loose ... just a little slack.  Really...with respect to the toilet itself that is it...they are simple.  You could have small clog...get a plunger and go to town or roto root it.  If you have a lady in the house make sure she isn't flushing her lady products ... also same for you making sure you're not flushing stuff down that shouldn't be.

Jim, How do add more water into the tank, The water level is about 4 inches below the overfill pipe instead of 1 inch below it? The flapper has just a bit slack to it.

TIA

11 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Jim, How do add more water into the tank, The water level is about 4 inches below the overfill pipe instead of 1 inch below it? The flapper has just a bit slack to it.

TIA

Should be a screw or other means to adjust the float height. Different toilets have different methods of doing this (like a float cylinder).  I would assume there is text pointing you to the right area.

38 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Should be a screw or other means to adjust the float height. Different toilets have different methods of doing this (like a float cylinder).  I would assume there is text pointing you to the right area.

That was the issue. TYVM as always Jim :)

It's nothing to do with the flushing mechanism. The bowl works as a siphon when flushing. It could come down to the design of your bowl (I recommend Caroma) or plumbing. Check all sealing is good (no air leaks).

Edited by 68k

On 7/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, Bruinator said:

Hi, I am having an issue flushing my toilet. Sometimes, it will flush the full contents on the bowl on the 1st flush but other times, I have to flush it twice. I replaced the fill valve thinking that would solve it but it didnt. The flapper is closing completely so I dont think that is the issue, The water is turned on all the way so I dont think it is that either. Any other ideas on what it could be?

TIA

Once the water is in the tank, gravity takes over.  Fill valve has nothing to do with it.  The flapper might if it doesn't open enough.  Your choices are simple, get a pressurized system, this will increase the force of the flush, or get a new tank/bowl combo.  Turning on the water all of the way will allow your tank to fill faster vs half way.

This pressurized system is for 1.6 gpf tanks only: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pressure-Assist-Tank-Vessel-503-fits-Most-1-6-GPF-Toilets-683190/302338376