• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

Want AntiVirus Recommendations

Question

thisdude    27

My Bitdefender Total Security subscription is close to expiring. I would like to hear recommendations and personal experiences of what others are using right now. I previously tried Webroot and it was very easy on the system resources and worked well. The UI was pretty bad felt like I was using software on 98se lol but it did the job. Before that I was using Kaspersky and it was great. I used it for years but I got spooked by all the Russian backdoor talk. Bitdefender has been good. It's caught some malware infected websites. Hasn't slowed my laptop down. Now if I do a full blown system scan then it does affect performance. I've heard Cylance for home is pretty good? Has anyone used it on their computers? So what anti-virus/malware security software are you all using on your systems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Marujan    92
Posted (edited)

Dont trust any reviews, made HDD backup, install av and test by yourself only

 

Russia - https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

China - https://www.360totalsecurity.com/

USA - https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-antivirus.php

EU - https://www.avg.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download
 

 

PS: av is not important, protect your network from viruses

1)install COMODO DNS (or 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare) on router

2)install any firewall to see traffic and block useless app from internet access (image gallery, video converter,photoshop,media player,etc)

3)disable admin rights on your profile

4)run *.lnk/bat/vbr/scr/inf in NOTEPAD++ app only (see regedit)

 

Edited by Marujan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+mram    278

Windows Defender + scheduled task to auto-update DAT files hourly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
thisdude    27
29 minutes ago, Marujan said:

Dont trust any reviews, made HDD backup, install av and test by yourself only

 

Russia - https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

China - https://www.360totalsecurity.com/

USA - https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-antivirus.php

EU - https://www.avg.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download
 

 

PS: av is not important, protect your network from viruses

1)install COMODO DNS (or 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare) on router

2)install any firewall to see traffic and block useless app from internet access (image gallery, video converter,photoshop,media player,etc)

3)disable admin rights on your profile

4)run *.lnk/bat/vbr/scr/inf in NOTEPAD++ app only (see regedit)

 

All the AV's I mentioned have a firewall built into them. Right the traditional AV that only used downloaded definitions isn't enough. I wouldn't not use that but the threats are just more dangerous than the old school Melissa or Loveletter virus.

 

So are you not running anything but Comodo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
thisdude    27
17 minutes ago, mram said:

Windows Defender + scheduled task to auto-update DAT files hourly.

My wife just used Windows Defender because she just uses her laptop for work school stuff very basic stuff. Well WD let some infected sites inject some adware/malware. So I don't just trust a basic virus definitions AV anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Nick H.    9,990

We have two poll threads where members tell you what they are using:

 

Definitive Best PAID Antivirus 2019

Definitive Best FREE Antivirus 2019

 

For myself I'm happy with ESET. When I was using a free antivirus I was using Avira, which at the time only gave one popup a day about upgrading to their paid service. I don't know how it is these days though.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
thisdude    27

I completely forgot about ESET! It used to be very popular back in the Windows XP days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
PGHammer    1,503

Also, your ISP (especially broadband) may offer an AV or even AV + firewall package as part of your package (Comcast includes a six-device annual Norton Security Online subscription for a cost of nit - Symantec DID fix the issue with the current Fast Ring and Skip Ahead versions of Windows 10; I run it myself). Norton is skinnier than it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    2,501
18 hours ago, PGHammer said:

Also, your ISP (especially broadband) may offer an AV or even AV + firewall package as part of your package (Comcast includes a six-device annual Norton Security Online subscription for a cost of nit - Symantec DID fix the issue with the current Fast Ring and Skip Ahead versions of Windows 10; I run it myself). Norton is skinnier than it used to be.

AFAIK, most of those provided by the ISP are mostly trials, anyway. I said most, not all. That's only  what I know.

 

And I have a pfsense box in front of my IPS modem... So there's another firewall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
monkeylove    47

What I do is use the free version of the AV (like Bitdefender free) and then supplement it with other free programs: free versions of Malwarebytes and Zemana for secondary scanners, uBlock Origin, NoScript, and other addons for the browser, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
cork1958    1,710

If using Windows 10, you already have an awesome AV. No other one needed! Most other one's are so full of bloat, they're next to  junk!! Also, a good adblocker is a necessity, such as ublock origin. Almost as good as an AV itself. Probably how your wife got infected was by a drive by advertisement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.