Daily John DeLancie: Running Q as Daily Driver

PGHammer

Some of us actually dare to run Android Q as a daily driver on one or more Android devices - what do you think of it?  Since I started the thread, I'll lead off.

When did you start running Q on the device in Question: Monday

What Device(s) Are you running Q on: Google Pixel 3a

Problems - if any: The only problem I have is no dark launch screen or animation on launch

Major, Minor, or Quibble (severity of problem): Quibble

• 3 months later...
PGHammer

FOLLOWUP - I'm still running Android 10 as my daily driver - and I'm still running it dead-stock as well.  While I can root it, the question begs - why?

(As in "why root Android 10".)  For once, I dared look at it objectively - and actually failed to come up with an answer!  The sort of things that you used to HAVE to root or modify Android to do are now part of the core feature set (or can be added via third-party utilities that don't require rooting).  Given that, the question becomes not why NOT root" - but "why root".  If you don't need to, then why do the extra work (and the extra hassle)?

Steven P.

I got it on my Pixel 3 and well, apart from my mobile bankpass (with NFC) no longer working (some policy change with Android 10, says the bank) can't say I've run into any problems. I used 9 so very briefly because up until the end of August my previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy S8 which had just gotten Pie with the new One UI.

With the Pixel 3, I miss customizing the AOD and I really miss Smart stay and face unlock, to me if feels like an underwhelming upgrade. Smart unlock appears to behave much better on the Pixel though.

PGHammer
13 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I got it on my Pixel 3 and well, apart from my mobile bankpass (with NFC) no longer working (some policy change with Android 10, says the bank) can't say I've run into any problems. I used 9 so very briefly because up until the end of August my previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy S8 which had just gotten Pie with the new One UI.

With the Pixel 3, I miss customizing the AOD and I really miss Smart stay and face unlock, to me if feels like an underwhelming upgrade. Smart unlock appears to behave much better on the Pixel though.

A LOT of the pushback (not just with 10, but also with 9), is from folks used to how the previous version did things.  (I get that.)  I went basically directly from 8 to 10  therefore, I never got comfortable with 9 (the S7 Snapdragon never ran it, and while the Pixel 3a did, by the time I got it, the beta of 10 was under way, which I jumped on immediately).

Gestures?  I don't use them (didn't during the beta, and don't now).  Smart unlock saves me a ton of pain (it is, in fact, my second favorite feature).  My favorite feature?  It still isn't the Camera (which is growing on me, though) - my favorite feature is the zippy wired charging - it is easily the fastest wired charging of any phone - combine that with the long SOT (again, the longest of any phone I have experience with) and I need wireless charging *why*?  What I find fun is that every feature that I have with my 3a is also available to older Pixels (such as my Mom's refurbished original) via APK upgrades.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung rolls out the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany for €477
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung announced today the availability of the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany. The rugged tablet was originally unveiled late last month for enterprise users.

The Tab Active3 is now available to purchase via Samsung's retail partners and select wireless carriers in Germany. It carries a price tag of €477, available only in black and with support for three generations of Android upgrades.

It sports an 8-inch TFT LCD display with a 1920x1200 resolution. The tablet is powered by an octa-core Exynos 9810 SoC paired with 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage that's expandable via a microSD card. At the back of the device, there's a 13MP camera while at the front sits a 5MP selfie camera.

As a rugged device, it is MIL-STD-810H certified, meaning it can endure various challenging environments. It is also IP68-rated for dust and water protection. Samsung also claims the tablet can withstand a drop of up to 1.5 meters courtesy of its shock absorption system coupled with its Protective Cover.

The Tab Active3 packs a 5050mAh removable battery that features a No Battery mode, allowing you to use the tablet without a battery by plugging it in to a power supply. Of course, it supports Samsung DeX for a PC-like experience and Google ARCore for augmented reality services. In addition, it has a quick access button mounted on its side and comes with an IP68-certified S Pen.

• By Rich Woods
      OnePlus 8T unboxing and first impressions
      by Rich Woods

The OnePlus 8T is in the house. Announced a week ago, there are two key new features that weren't on the OnePlus 8: a 120Hz Fluid AMOLED display and Warp Charge 65.

Warp Charge 65, or 65W wired charging, is arguably the most important one here, because that's the feature that's not found on any OnePlus device. The 65W charger can also charge non-OnePlus devices at up to 45W, meaning that you can even use it to charge some laptops.

The 120Hz refresh rate is something that we first saw on the OnePlus 8 Pro. After all, if we're following last year's trend, the T-series is about bringing Pro features down to the non-Pro, and to be clear, there is no OnePlus 8T Pro. The difference with the screen on the OnePlus 8T, from both the 8 and the 8 Pro, is that this one's flat. There aren't any curved edges to be found here.

As for the camera, it has the exact same Sony IMX586 48MP main sensor as the OnePlus 8. On top of that, you'll find an ultra-wide lens, a macro lens, and a monochrome lens. Unfortunately, also like the OnePlus 8, there's no telephoto lens. In fact, of the four sensors, you'll probably only find the main and ultra-wide lenses to be useful, but companies like to tack on these extra ones so they can say they have four cameras.

On top of all of that, this machine has a Snapdragon 865 chipset, 12GB RAM, and 256GB of storage, all for $749. The model that OnePlus sent me is Lunar Silver, but it also comes in Aquamarine Green. Check out the unboxing video below:

• By anmol112
      Microsoft's Xbox app gets updated with support for remote play on Android and iOS
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft has released a new update for its Xbox app for Android and iOS users. The latest update brings support for remote play as well as the new UI that made a debut on Xbox consoles with the October 2020 update last week.

In case you don't know, remote play allows users to stream gameplay from their Xbox console to smartphones via WiFi. The feature is a bit different from Microsoft xCloud as it requires the user to physically own a console and stream the gameplay. In contrast, Microsoft xCloud allows users to play games without owning an Xbox game console.

Here is the full changelog for the update:

The changelog for the update is the same for both Android and iOS. On Android, the app has been updated to version 2009.1016.2010 and is available for download from the Google Play Store. Meanwhile, on iOS, the app has been updated to version 2009.1009.1918 and is available for download from the App Store.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      HMD Global announces the Nokia 2 V Tella for $168
      by Jay Bonggolto

HMD Global announced today its latest entry-level smartphone that costs less than $200. The Nokia 2 V Tella is available to purchase now in Walmart stores and through Walmart.com from $89, with availability on select Verizon stores scheduled later this month for $168.

The device sports a 5.45-inch HD+ display and is powered by a quad-core MediaTek Helio A22 SoC, paired with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. At the back of the phone, there's a dual camera comprising an 8MP auto focus sensor that uses artificial intelligence to provide "greater depth and brighter image results even in challenging lighting situations". It is complemented by a 2MP depth sensor.

While most of its key specs are nothing to write home about, its battery life offers a better experience for its price range. Its 3000mAh battery features an AI-powered Adaptive Battery system to prioritize resources for your most frequently used apps, keeping your phone up for as long as two days.

The Nokia 2 V Tella has a dedicated Google Assistant button and AI Face Unlock. Other features include support for dark theme, Focus Mode, Family Link, and many more. The phone runs Android 10 and comes in blue color.

• By indospot
      Peak Design launches Kickstarter campaign for MagSafe-like smartphone accessories
      by João Carrasqueira

Just last week, Apple introduced the iPhone 12 family, and with it came the launch of MagSafe for iPhone, a new mechanism that makes wireless charging on iPhone 12 easier, while also allowing for accessories to be attached using the mechanism. But if you're looking for something similar without the Apple tax - or without joining the Apple ecosystem at all - Peak Design today introduced Mobile, an ecosystem of magnetic accessories that are very reminiscent of MagSafe for iPhone.

Peak Design is most known for its Everyday travel bags and camera accessories, and Mobile is its first major investment in smartphone-specific accessories. At the core of the ecosystem is the Everyday Case or the Universal Adapter. The former is a regular smartphone case, but it's only set to be available for Samsung's Galaxy S20 family as well as Apple's iPhone 11 and 12 lineups, while the universal adapter is a simple sticker that you can attach to almost any smartphone.

From there, you can use the magnetic mechanism to attach your phone to any of the remaining accessories in the lineup, which are designed for a variety of use cases. There are wall-mounts in case you're in the kitchen and need to see your phone's screen hands-free, for example, car mounts (with or without wireless charging capabilities), bike mounts, a kickstand, a tripod, and more. Some accessories relies on the magnets exclusively to hold the phone place, but others, like the bike mount, use a hard lock that relies on aluminum teeth to prevent your phone from flying off the mount.

Apple's MagSafe announcement caught Peak Design off guard, but the company says it's working to ensure that its accessories are compatible with MagSafe to the best of its ability, so soft-lock accessories and mounts should work with MagSafe phones and cases, while MagSafe chargers and and accessories should also be able to lock onto the Peak Design case. Work is still being done in this area, though, since Apple hasn't publicly shared details on what work is needed to make MagSafe-compatible accessories.

Peak Design's system may be interesting if you're not planning on getting an iPhone 12, though it's worth keeping in mind that wireless charging is only designed to work with phones that are compatible with the Everyday case. If you use the universal adapter, it might not align properly with your phone's charging coil, meaning official support is pretty limited. In terms of mounts and other accessories, though, almost any phone should be good to go.

Mobile by Peak Design has just launched as a Kickstarter campaign, but it's already smashed its $100,000 funding goal. Still, if you'd like to get a discount on the products, you can back the campaign and get some of the accessories for a lower price. The expected shipping date is May 2021.