Reinstalling UEFI firmware on Surface Pro

IrfanL

Hi,

My experience with Surface Pro is getting worse and worse...

Yesterday my Surface Pro (5th Gen) received and installed a UEFI firmware update (Surface – Firmware – 234.2706.768.0) after 2 reboot and firmware flash process, the touch screen and pen stopped working.

I checked device manager and did not find any malfunctioning driver. Did uninstallation of all relevant firmware  and HID touch screen drivers and reinstalled them using Windows Update, to no result.

I want to attempt reinstalling / re-flashing of UEFI firmware, to me this caused the problem, but I could not figure out a way to force it. I was able to download current and older versions of all Firmware but applying/installing them to Firmware devices in Device Manager does not seem to trigger the on-boot flashing process.

Wondering if someone here knows of away to force reinstall of the firmware on Surface Pro.

DM_Screenshot_1.jpg

DM_Screenshot_2.jpg

goretsky

Hello,

It looks like it is a somewhat convoluted process, but an article at

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2014/10/19/how-to-update-the-surface-pro-3-firmware-offline-using-a-usb-drive/

outlines the process for creating USB firmware installation media for the third-generation Surface Pro.  Perhaps the process is similar for yours?

Failing that, I would suggest making an appointment with the nearest Microsoft Store to have it repaired.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
IrfanL

Just wanted to drop an update on this case.

I tried pushing the old and current firmware using WinPE bootable flash drive method (as explained in the article above) but was not successful. This is not to say the method does not work, it works but there are built-in checks in place with boot loader and UEFI update module which actually stops old firmware to be pushed on better version firmware. You can manually change the version (make it newer version then what is already installed) in the INF file for the old firmware driver and install it. At next reboot Windows boot loader will start pushing the firmware update capsule to UEFI. But when UEFI updater will start the update process it will fails with Last Attempt Status 0xC0000058, which is related to version mismatch. Unless someone can open and change the version in update capsule files (the .bin or .cat files in the driver pack) it is not possible. (Ref: Windows UEFI firmware update platform )

Anyhow, I took it back to repair shop which actually did my battery replacement, thinking I will have another US$ 200+ bill. But the guy wanted to experiment and we opened it up again. Inspected and cleaned the connectors and ribbon cables and re-seated the display and it started to work fine. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
Brandon H

glad you got it working; the ribbon must have partially come loose or maybe there was some dust on the connectors or something then. props to that repair person for checking on something like that :beer:

• 1 year later...
rainyman1984
On 8/22/2019 at 5:37 AM, IrfanL said:

Just wanted to drop an update on this case.

I tried pushing the old and current firmware using WinPE bootable flash drive method (as explained in the article above) but was not successful. This is not to say the method does not work, it works but there are built-in checks in place with boot loader and UEFI update module which actually stops old firmware to be pushed on better version firmware. You can manually change the version (make it newer version then what is already installed) in the INF file for the old firmware driver and install it. At next reboot Windows boot loader will start pushing the firmware update capsule to UEFI. But when UEFI updater will start the update process it will fails with Last Attempt Status 0xC0000058, which is related to version mismatch. Unless someone can open and change the version in update capsule files (the .bin or .cat files in the driver pack) it is not possible. (Ref: Windows UEFI firmware update platform )

Anyhow, I took it back to repair shop which actually did my battery replacement, thinking I will have another US$ 200+ bill. But the guy wanted to experiment and we opened it up again. Inspected and cleaned the connectors and ribbon cables and re-seated the display and it started to work fine. 🤷‍♂️

Hi, I am having almost same problem with my surface book, touch screen stopped working since an update in Jan 2018 and now I see a yellow exclamation mark on Touch Firmware. I saw your post and managed to detach the screen.  Do you remember which cables/ribbon cables he cleaned? And btw did he tear it down completely or he did it without opening up all the screws? Really appreciate your help!

surface book.jpg

• 7 months later...
kamojamo

Hi there,

I'm new and inexperienced but I've had exactly the same issue and I find it difficult to believe that this can spontaneously die overnight on a $3000+ device.

If this helps, the standard Microsoft support team on the phone don't seem to be aware of a fix for this issue. Despite explaining the processes I've been through they painfully (and in broken english) had me re-install drivers, uninstall drivers, etc.

Apparently some people have had the screen still working in UEFI mode (when booting with volume + and power button pushed together) but I'm guessing you don't have that issue either?

They decided the only option is to pay $700+ to replace the device - essentially paying them to send me some old stock that's probably still way above what it costs them to make and is 2/3 models obsolete.

Were there any solutions on this end?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Microsoft announces game stories in the Xbox app
      by Jay Bonggolto

Microsoft announced today a new feature in the Xbox app for Android and iOS that's inspired by a popular feature from various social networking apps. The Xbox app is adding stories from various game brands such as Forza, Halo, and Sea of Thieves.

The new stories feature has been showcased on Xbox's official Twitter account, and it has a similar interface that you can find on social networking platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat. Unlike stories from those services, however, the Xbox app's version displays the buttons for likes, shares, and comments at the bottom of the screen as well as their corresponding numbers.

Stories can be found below the cards of game titles and are labeled "official posts from games" instead of "stories". This means the content you will see are coming only from game brands you follow instead of from your friends like you can with most social media apps. There's no word on whether Microsoft will give users the ability to post stories on the app.

The new experience should be a welcome development for those who want to receive updates from their favorite game brands or studios. It also expands the app's capabilities after Microsoft added support for remote play last year along with a new UI that debuted on Xbox consoles with the October 2020 update.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft's OneDrive updates for May include file sharing improvements and more
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every month, Microsoft has detailed the changes and improvements made to OneDrive across platforms in the month of May. This time, the list is a long one containing a bunch of features added for IT admins, mobile apps, and more. These are in addition to the macOS-specific improvements announced last week.

First up is the updated file picker for Yammer. The file upload dialog in Yammer now resembles the OneDrive file structure, with the ‘Pick file’ option displaying OneDrive files by default along with the libraries on the system and SharePoint files in Teams. Another nifty improvement addition of the option to open Immersive Reader directly in OneDrive and SharePoint, allowing users to not just read out documents, but tailor the look of the feature from within the services.

In line with the promise to bring sharing experience enhancements across the cloud storage platform, the Redmond firm has added a new Link settings section to the link sharing dialog on SharePoint on OneDrive for business. This lets users quickly tweak access permission settings and generating a link for the document.

Another useful addition for business customers that was added last month relates to sharing documents with external users. Now, admins can choose to pre-set expiration dates to files shared with external users to avoid providing access to those users beyond what is necessary. These can be enabled in the SharePoint admin center and apply to files shared on SharePoint as well as OneDrive. Admins will also be given the ability to extend access timelines to external users as desired. Speaking of IT admins, OneDrive will now let admins exclude specific file types from being synced with OneDrive.

OneDrive for iOS and Android have also received a bunch of new features, especially relating to the PDF viewer feature. Users can now jump to a specific page in PDFs via the Jump to Page feature. Additionally, for PDFs with outline metadata can now tie in with the Outline feature to let users navigate easily to the different sections in the PDF.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Here are the wallpapers included in the leaked Windows 11 build
      by Usama Jawad

Yesterday was quite an eventful day for Windows enthusiasts. Not only did screenshots of Microsoft's upcoming operating system refresh appear online, but even an operational ISO containing the Windows 11 Pro build 21996.1 leaked online.

Of course, Neowin went hands-on with the build and you can read through our ongoing coverage containing screenshots, a hands-on, our first impressions, and a handy way to snap windows; a process which was relatively obscure in previous versions of Windows.

When it comes to new Windows builds, another element that has interested our readers in the past is bundled wallpapers. A lot of our readers are passionate about personalization features like these that Microsoft includes in its OS, and such people will be happy to know that this leaked Windows 11 build contains a brand new set of wallpapers as well.

The leaked Windows 11 build contains a grand total of 18 wallpapers grouped into five directories. You can view them in their full glory in the gallery below and feel free to download them as well if they tickle your fancy.

Stay tuned to Neowin's ongoing coverage about Windows 11!

• By Steven P.
      Windows 11 has a new window snapping feature
      by Steven Parker

An early build of Windows 11 leaked yesterday and we've been taking it on a test run through our machines. Obviously there's a lot new to see that isn't immediately obvious, while other things remain the same as with Windows 10. However, as spotted by former Senior Editor for Neowin Tom Warren, Windows 11 now includes a very handy window snapping feature, in Windows Explorer, but also extending to any Windows apps, as can be seen above.

To invoke it, all you need to do is hover over the 'Maximize' button and it pops out a grid which lets you snap the window to the chosen position. As can be seen in the video above, to reset the window to a floating window again, simply press the maximize button twice from a snapped position. It will even default back to the original position on your screen.

The new feature actually completely replaces the 'Maximize' tooltip and the button still operates fully as it did in Windows 10, meaning if you go to it and click the button, the window will maximize, and then float the window upon clicking it again.

One curious reader commented "Is there an option to disable it?" and I can report that there is an option to disable the window snapping feature under the Multitasking options of the 'System' settings. Upon disabling 'Snap windows' nothing happens when hovering over the maximize control, the tooltip is not restored, which would be a nice first bug report for this Windows 11 feature.

Microsoft somewhat acknowledged the leaks by tweeting "This is only the Start." which, by the way, indicated to us that we've only really seen the new Start experience. Our friends over at Aggiornamenti Lumia correctly reminded us that a lot of "what's next" is still under wraps in the much more secure 'Windows Feature Experience Pack' which haven't leaked.

Thankfully we won't have to wait for very long. In eight days Microsoft will tell us more and then we expect that the new build(s) will head to the Insider channels.

If you want us to check or test something out, let us know in the comments; or you can reach out to me on Twitter.

• By anmol112
      Hands-on with the leaked Windows 11 build, new setup experience, UI changes and more [Update]
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Earlier today, multiple screenshots of Microsoft's upcoming Windows update leaked online. This was followed up by an ISO leak allowing users to install and use Windows 11 ahead of the official announcement. If you are reluctant to install a leaked OS on your system, then don't worry as we have got you covered.

We installed the leaked Build 21996.1, so you don't have to and took it for a test drive. While the installation UI is still the same as it has been since Windows 7, Microsoft has completely overhauled the setup UI. Windows 11 setup includes the same steps as Windows 10, but with nice round corners on an off-white background that will look familiar to anyone who has used a MacOS.

While the setup screen shares some resemblance with MacOS, the desktop will look familiar to those who followed Windows 10X development closely before its untimely demise. When Microsoft ditched Windows 10X, the Redmond giant said that it plans to bring elements of Windows 10X to Windows 10. The most noticeable changes on the desktop are the taskbar at the bottom and the start menu. Both these changes are inspired by Windows 10X. The taskbar now has open app icons in the middle instead of being left aligned. The same is true for the start menu and search as both now occupy the middle part of the screen instead of opening to the left of the display.

Apart from these, I also checked out other first-party apps but those are carrying the same design. So, apps like Mail and Calendar, Calculator, Photos and Microsoft Store carry the same design as they had on Windows 10. The same goes for Windows Settings as well. Moving on to the File Manager, it looks the same as it did on Windows 10 but has the updated icons for folders. Microsoft has also updated the icons on the Action Center and those too are now rounded and look much better than the current Action Center. Another noticeable change on the desktop is the inclusion of widgets. Currently, the section opens a version of News and Interests widget that was introduced to Windows 10 earlier this year. Microsoft has also updated the task view with rounded corners and a better look that is more in line with the new UI.

Once Windows 11 was installed, I received two new updates from Microsoft. The first one was a generic update for Windows Defender but the second one was a cumulative update KB5004034 for Windows 10 Version Next.

Lastly, Microsoft has also included new startup and notification sounds for Windows 11 and there are new open and close animation for apps. The new animations were introduced in Windows 10 Insider Builds so Microsoft has been testing those for some time now.

Microsoft is expected to showcase the new Windows experience on June 24. According to rumours, Microsoft may just call the new update Windows 11 after all.

Update: I would like to clarify that Microsoft has added an option to move taskbar to the left so you are not stuck with it being in the middle of the screen.

Furthermore, we were able to activate our copy and thus get access to dark mode on Windows 11. You can check out screenshots of dark mode on Windows 11 below.

Windows 11 also has an overhauled snap assist that may look familiar to PowerToys users. The new feature will show pre-defined snap options when a user hovers on the maximize window option on the top right corner. You can check out our coverage on the feature for more information.

Lastly, Microsoft has also added a new Windows startup sound on Windows 11. You can head down to check it out:

We are currently testing Windows 11 and will update this article if anything new pops up.