• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Power outage...PC turns on...fans...nothing else...

AndyD    22

I have tried...

1) Tested the PSU with a PSU tester and the PSU seems fine

2) Tried to do BIOS recovery but that doesn't do anything

3) Took out CMOS battery - that didn't do anything either

Any suggestions?

Mindovermaster    1,788

Try taking out your RAM, see if it beeps anything. Might want to reseat the CPU and/or look at it, see if anything is fried.

But if none of thise works, I am afraid your board is bricked...

darkgtx    1

Could be the GPU. Motherboard is lit up correct? Tried a different card? Had a surge travel through xfinity cable box and take out a screen + gpu, which was also connected to the same screen. 

Jim K    12,810

What model is the motherboard.  Any beeps?  Does the board have an on-board diagnostic LED code?  Have you tried the on-board GPU (if you have one).

AndyD    22
7 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Try taking out your RAM, see if it beeps anything. Might want to reseat the CPU and/or look at it, see if anything is fried.

But if none of thise works, I am afraid your board is bricked...

I don't think this PC beeps unless i need to connect it to speakers. Don't see any issues so yeah thinking the motherboard is done

7 hours ago, darkgtx said:

Could be the GPU. Motherboard is lit up correct? Tried a different card? Had a surge travel through xfinity cable box and take out a screen + gpu, which was also connected to the same screen. 

Motherboard is lighted up but I tried onboard GPU and standalone.  

19 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What model is the motherboard.  Any beeps?  Does the board have an on-board diagnostic LED code?  Have you tried the on-board GPU (if you have one).

It's a haswell micro atx board...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87ME/

Unfortunately, it has really nothing to help with diagnosing. The one light it has on the board only tells me if its getting power. And yeah, tried both onboard and standalone gpu 

Mindovermaster    1,788
3 minutes ago, AndyD said:

I don't think this PC beeps unless i need to connect it to speakers. Don't see any issues so yeah thinking the motherboard is done

Well, a motherboard speaker will help us diagnose the issue.

But like you said, it might be dead... (or more like a vegetable)

sc302    1,712

Had that happen to me several times for different clients computers.

Common Causes -

PSU which you already tested

CPU/CPU socket you will have to remove and carefully check, had a burn't pin

Motherboard - Perhaps a surge got it and fried it.  

patseguin    1,284
9 hours ago, AndyD said:

I have tried...

1) Tested the PSU with a PSU tester and the PSU seems fine

2) Tried to do BIOS recovery but that doesn't do anything

3) Took out CMOS battery - that didn't do anything either

Any suggestions?

Did you say that the BIOS posts and you can get to the BIOS settings? This may be dumb, but did you try resetting to BIOS defaults?

Mindovermaster    1,788
9 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Did you say that the BIOS posts and you can get to the BIOS settings? This may be dumb, but did you try resetting to BIOS defaults?

My guess is he never got past POST... So he couldn't have gone into BIOS...

AndyD    22
39 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Had that happen to me several times for different clients computers.

Common Causes -

PSU which you already tested

CPU/CPU socket you will have to remove and carefully check, had a burn't pin

Motherboard - Perhaps a surge got it and fried it.  

Yeah thinking its the latter.

22 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

My guess is he never got past POST... So he couldn't have gone into BIOS...

Yeah seems that way. I tried to see if the crash recovery BIOS feature on the motherboard would work but nothing

Jim K    12,810

A speaker would help so you'd know what the motherboard was complaining about ... not sure why they've gone the way of the Dodo bird.  

I would try taking out the dedicated GPU, leave one stick of RAM, clear the CMOS (via on-board jumper) ... if that doesn't work then reseat the CPU.  I know you tested the PSU with a PSU checker  ... but are we really sure that isn't the problem?  Do you have another hanging around to try?

sc302    1,712
Just now, Jim K said:

A speaker would help so you'd know what the motherboard was complaining about ... not sure why they've gone the way of the Dodo bird.  

I would try taking out the dedicated GPU, leave one stick of RAM, clear the CMOS (by jumper) ... if that doesn't work then reseat the CPU.  I know you tested the PSU with a PSU checker  ... but are we really sure that isn't the problem.  Do you have another hanging around to try?

That depends on the cpu checker.    This one tells you exactly what’s up with the psu/cables/ports.  

Thermaltake Dr. Power II Automated Power Supply Tester Oversized LCD for All Power Supplies - AC0015 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F778JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sJZkDbT27ZJ96

AndyD    22
5 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I would try taking out the dedicated GPU, leave one stick of RAM, clear the CMOS (via on-board jumper) ... if that doesn't work then reseat the CPU.  I know you tested the PSU with a PSU checker  ... but are we really sure that isn't the problem?  Do you have another hanging around to try?

I have a spare psu but i didn't do a good job of keeping cables separate and I read its not a good idea to mix (even though it would be Seasonic only PSUs)

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

That depends on the cpu checker.    This one tells you exactly what’s up with the psu/cables/ports.  

Thermaltake Dr. Power II Automated Power Supply Tester Oversized LCD for All Power Supplies - AC0015 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F778JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sJZkDbT27ZJ96

I don't have something fancy like that

https://pcper.com/2006/05/ultra-power-supply-tester-review/

Jim K    12,810
18 minutes ago, AndyD said:

I have a spare psu but i didn't do a good job of keeping cables separate and I read its not a good idea to mix (even though it would be Seasonic only PSUs)

I don't have something fancy like that

https://pcper.com/2006/05/ultra-power-supply-tester-review/

You could still try the spare PSU.  All you need is the 24 pin mobo power and 4/8 pin CPU power ... just to see if you can get to the BIOS (take out the dedicated GPU and use the internal).  If the spare PSU just has a 4pin CPU power ... that will work on your motherboard's 8pin for this purpose (ruling out PSU)

...and you're right about mixing cables from different PSU's ... which can kill components.  However, since they are both Seasonic you probably would be alright (especially if within the same family) ... though I would be very hesitant to try it.

sc302    1,712

If a cable is burnt out, which you can’t tell by looking, it is better to use good known cables. This is why led testers are better than nothing but not as good as a device that gives you exact voltage. Basic testers may show up green/ok where more advanced testers will fail and give a more accurate pass/fail. 

AndyD    22
2 hours ago, sc302 said:

I wouldn’t trust that for accuracy.  

42 minutes ago, sc302 said:

If a cable is burnt out, which you can’t tell by looking, it is better to use good known cables. This is why led testers are better than nothing but not as good as a device that gives you exact voltage. Basic testers may show up green/ok where more advanced testers will fail and give a more accurate pass/fail. 

yeah but it's what i have for now. I'll consider getting one

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

You could still try the spare PSU.  All you need is the 24 pin mobo power and 4/8 pin CPU power ... just to see if you can get to the BIOS (take out the dedicated GPU and use the internal).  If the spare PSU just has a 4pin CPU power ... that will work on your motherboard's 8pin for this purpose (ruling out PSU)

...and you're right about mixing cables from different PSU's ... which can kill components.  However, since they are both Seasonic you probably would be alright (especially if within the same family) ... though I would be very hesitant to try it.

Yeah I'm hesitant too.  Good point though on trying the PSU for just motherboard. That worked but after seeing that worked and then switching back to original PSU....

I figured it out. PC won't turn on with GPU inserted. A bit perplexed on that.

sc302    1,712

Cpu could have went bad.  Not enough power to gpu, try the other psu to verify the gpu.