• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

AMD Freesync

Chan Smith    2

It it worth getting AMD Freesync on a monitor? I have a video card that can use that. Why I am asking is because I am looking at two different monitors one has freesync the other doesn't. 

LaP    2,178

If you want to buy a new monitor anyway yes. If you buy the new monitor just for that probably not.

If it's nVidia be sure to check the compatibility list. My 1070 "support" FreeSync but only on selected monitors. it's not working with my MSI Optix FreeSync monitor.

• Like 1

Chan Smith    2
Just now, LaP said:

If you want to buy a new monitor anyway yes. If you buy the new monitor just for that probably not.

If it's nVidia be sure to check the compatibility list. My 1070 "support" FreeSync but only on selected monitors. it's not working with my MSI Optix FreeSync monitor.

Yes, I want to buy a new monitor anyways. 

Mindovermaster    2,400

Um.. Monitors arent made by AMD...

Give us a link to those 2 monitors, and we can help you better :)

• Facepalm 1

+trag3dy    4,099

To answer the OP's question, I don't have a freesync monitor but I do have one that has g-sync and if freesync works in any way similar then yes, it is definitely worth paying a little a extra for.

But as @LaP point out, if you have an nvidia card you should check for compatibility with freesync.

kalkal    558

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Um.. Monitors arent made by AMD...

Give us a link to those 2 monitors, and we can help you better :)

Freesync was developed by AMD, so saying an AMD Freesync monitor doesn't necessarily imply an AMD monitor

• Like 1

kalkal    558

Oh, no one else has mentioned a crucial thing as well, the Freesync range of the monitors. let's say the monitor can do a max of 60fps but the range is 40-60fps. This won't help if your FPS reguarly drops lower than 40fps so this is probably the most important stat to look at if you're buying for the Freesync feature first.

• Like 1

LaP    2,178
1 hour ago, kalkal said:

Freesync was developed by AMD, so saying an AMD Freesync monitor doesn't necessarily imply an AMD monitor

The monitor could be labelled as AdaptiveSync though.

Nogib    941
1 hour ago, kalkal said:

Oh, no one else has mentioned a crucial thing as well, the Freesync range of the monitors. let's say the monitor can do a max of 60fps but the range is 40-60fps. This won't help if your FPS reguarly drops lower than 40fps so this is probably the most important stat to look at if you're buying for the Freesync feature first.

Exactly!  Problem is a lot of monitors don't tell you the range in which FreeSync works and it makes it very hard as a consumer as a result.

LaP    2,178
4 minutes ago, Nogib said:

Exactly!  Problem is a lot of monitors don't tell you the range in which FreeSync works and it makes it very hard as a consumer as a result.

I think AMD shows the range of the monitor in the drivers panel so you can probably easily find the value on google using : "[name of the monitor] FreeSync range".

Mindovermaster    2,400
9 hours ago, kalkal said:

Oh, OK. Just the way you phrased that sounded wrong. My mistake...

Chan Smith    2

I have had really good luck with LG monitors in the past so I might get a LG monitor that has Freesync. Are they still as good as they was years ago?

LostCat    1,317

Probably better.  Everyone generally uses better tech except maybe HP.