Sugary drink consumption and risk of cancer

Peresvet

Sugary drink consumption and risk of cancer: results from NutriNet-Santé prospective cohort

Results The consumption of sugary drinks was significantly associated with the risk of overall cancer (n=2193 cases, subdistribution hazard ratio for a 100mL/d increase 1.18, 95% confidence interval 1.10 to 1.27, P<0.0001) and breast cancer (693, 1.22, 1.07 to 1.39, P=0.004). The consumption of artificially sweetened beverages was not associated with the risk of cancer. In specific subanalyses, the consumption of 100% fruit juice was significantly associated with the risk of overall cancer (2193, 1.12, 1.03 to 1.23, P=0.007).

Conclusions In this large prospective study, the consumption of sugary drinks was positively associated with the risk of overall cancer and breast cancer. 100% fruit juices were also positively associated with the risk of overall cancer. These results need replication in other large scale prospective studies. They suggest that sugary drinks, which are widely consumed in Western countries, might represent a modifiable risk factor for cancer prevention.

https://www.bmj.com/content/366/bmj.l2408

Not only is the consumption of sugary drinks bad for us (which we've been aware of already), but also 100% fruit juices!

DocM

And they wonder why I drink iced  tea. 

Beittil

All this scare mongering... Practically everything seems to give you a chance at getting cancer nowadays. 

• Like 5

maybe more cancel from the toxic air we breathe in our cities and plastic particals in the ocean we eat.

Nick H.
28 minutes ago, Beittil said:

All this scare mongering... Practically everything seems to give you a chance at getting cancer nowadays. 

Did you know that 100% of people that have developed cancer have drank water? It's a dangerous world we live in.

I agree, I've given up paying attention to these sorts of things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
dipsylalapo
30 minutes ago, Beittil said:

Pretty much and it's probably not wrong. 

But as long as things are consumed/enjoyed in moderation, the risk is probably fairly low. 

• Like 1
+Dick Montage

Thing is, given a longer lifetime, cancer becomes more and more inevitable.  Being healthy can extend your life.  So being healthy gives you cancer.

Skyfrog

I stopped drinking sugar years ago, but mostly because it was making me fat. Try going a few years without any soda then take a sip; it tastes just like what it really is. A gross mix of overly sweet corn syrup and water. People mostly drink it for the carbonation anyway, it's why flat soda tastes disgusting. I drink plain ice water with every meal now, and occasionally milk or tea. If you need a little kick try seltzer water. I've lost a lot of weight over the years and feel a lot better too.

• Like 2
+Dick Montage
7 minutes ago, Skyfrog said:

I stopped drinking sugar years ago, but mostly because it was making me fat. Try going a few years without any soda then take a sip; it tastes just like what it really is. A gross mix of overly sweet corn syrup and water. People mostly drink it for the carbonation anyway, it's why flat soda tastes disgusting. I drink plain ice water with every meal now, and occasionally milk or tea. If you need a little kick try seltzer water. I've lost a lot of weight over the years and feel a lot better too.

It is a MASSIVE contributor to my weight issues.  My main reason for drinking it is two-fold:

• Addiction (and I don't mean that in any glib way)
  • Convenience
  • Like 1
Peresvet

Worry not, folks. Death cures all diseases.

• Haha 1
margrave

Number one cause of death remains the same ... being alive. At some point, all living things will experience death.

+virtorio

Study suggests being alive may increase chance of death. 

Yogurth

Give it few thousands of years and humans will adapt to heightened sugar levels in our food, just like ancient Europeans adapted to domestic animals milk, but that same milk currently causes serious health issues in Asiatic people (There was a huge research on it, called The China Study).

If we as species survive this century we will most certainly overcome the sugar issue.

Skiver
On 7/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Human.Online said:

It is a MASSIVE contributor to my weight issues.  My main reason for drinking it is two-fold:

• Addiction (and I don't mean that in any glib way)
  • Convenience

100% with you on both of those

I drink far too much Sugary Energy drinks like Relentless or Monster when I'm in the office but I find on the days that I don't drink them, I'll barely drink at all.

I've also got into a mindset of creating a sort of safety blanket image around them, when stuff isn't going well I find my cravings for them go up.

I know it's bad for me, I try to cut down all of the time but it's very easy to fall off the wagon, convince myself that just one is OK and before I know it I'm back on having one or more a day.

• Like 1