• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Transporting HDD drives and portable drives

Zlain    113

I need to take some HDD 3.5'' drives and portable drives from work to home. I don't have a car and taxi is not an option - I will be using public transport. I imagine I need to buy a case of some sort but having a look on amazon UK, quite a few look cheap looking.

I was wondering whether its just sufficient to put a ton of bubble wrap over the drives and possibly then putting them into a small box of sort would be ok?

Joe User    491

Assuming they're under 15 years old and you're not using them for pitching practice then you'll be fine with a box of bubble wrap, tons not needed.

Brandon H    2,907

honestly you should be fine with just putting them in a bag. I used to carry a seagate portable HDD in my pocket all the time and that thing still works properly even with a bunch of dents on it.

when not being used / not powered then they can take a good amount of movement; just don't violently shake it just like you wouldn't a baby and you should be fine :)

Only when the platter is spinning do you really need to worry about movement most the time

ZakO    487
Posted (edited)

I've moved 10+ HDDs from work to home on public transport every week for a few years. I just put each one in an reusable ESD sleeve, wrap it in a t-shirt and then pack them into a padded rucksack, no failures yet (I just jinxed it didn't I :shiftyninja:)? 

With portable ones I just carry them in the bag as normal, no padding.

Zlain    113
29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

honestly you should be fine with just putting them in a bag. I used to carry a seagate portable HDD in my pocket all the time and that thing still works properly even with a bunch of dents on it.

when not being used / not powered then they can take a good amount of movement; just don't violently shake it just like you wouldn't a baby and you should be fine :)

Only when the platter is spinning do you really need to worry about movement most the time

4 minutes ago, ZakO said:

I've moved 10+ HDDs from work to home on public transport every week for a few years. I just put each one in an reusable ESD sleeve, wrap it in a t-shirt and then pack them into a padded rucksack, no failures yet (I just jinxed it didn't I :shiftyninja:)? 

With portable ones I just carry them in the bag as normal, no padding.

Thanks. I will wrap them up since we have the bubble wrap anyway. I feel a lot more reassured :)

• Like 1

Marujan    90

laptop bag + bubble wrap film

Aokromes    230
2 hours ago, Zlain said:

I need to take some HDD 3.5'' drives and portable drives from work to home. I don't have a car and taxi is not an option - I will be using public transport. I imagine I need to buy a case of some sort but having a look on amazon UK, quite a few look cheap looking.

I was wondering whether its just sufficient to put a ton of bubble wrap over the drives and possibly then putting them into a small box of sort would be ok?

i used to travel with one hdd without any protection on my bag while offroading with bike, it worked fine for years, even after i sold it to a friend. powered off hdds are extreme hard to break.

Xenon    5,722

I had to take 2 hard drives back and forth between 2 locations a few years back. I put them in a messenger bag. It got caught in the subway door, I dropped it. It got soaked and it banged on a hand rail going up a flight of stairs. And.....

They both broke. 

+warwagon    13,025

Is the content on the drives encrypted?

Mindovermaster    1,959
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Is the content on the drives encrypted?

Question: Why would that matter...

• Facepalm 1

Jim K    13,212
14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

... probably wondering if these work hard drives are encrypted in case they get lost/stolen which would help prevent company information being pulled from them.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,959
1 minute ago, Jim K said:

... probably wondering if these work hard drives are encrypted in case they get lost/stolen which would help prevent company information being pulled from them.

Most business ones ARE, but there is also that chance they aren't, too...

• Facepalm 1

+warwagon    13,025
9 hours ago, Jim K said:

THIS!

10 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You couldn't see where I was instantly going with that question? ;)

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,959
3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

You couldn't see where I was instantly going with that question? ;)

Well, with the way you run.... :rolleyes:

+BudMan    3,513

How many drives are you talking about?  Big difference between 5 drives and 50 ;)

Mindovermaster    1,959
5 minutes ago, BudMan said:

How many drives are you talking about?  Big difference between 5 drives and 50 ;)

If it was 50, WTF is he doing with them? :laugh:

goretsky    1,045

Hello,

I have been using Amazon's own semi-rigid cases for transporting 2.5" external USB HDDs with me inside of my backpack.  The URL is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4B1H23/.  They seem to work well for that purpose.

For shipping 3.5" drives, I use a Pelican 1450 Protector Case.  It gets packed inside a double-carton with padding for shipping.  No problems noted with shipping drives that way for several years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aokromes    230
16 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I have been using Amazon's own semi-rigid cases for transporting 2.5" external USB HDDs with me inside of my backpack.  The URL is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4B1H23/.  They seem to work well for that purpose.

For shipping 3.5" drives, I use a Pelican 1450 Protector Case.  It gets packed inside a double-carton with padding for shipping.  No problems noted with shipping drives that way for several years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

for that if multiple hdds is needed i prefer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VSWLIN2/ref=psdc_430434031_t5_B01GFMQ4X8

Zlain    113

Its 4 HDD drives (2 with data, the other 2 are backups) and it isn't encrypted. Its just lab data. I also have 2 or three portable hard drives. I'm going to use bubble wrap and a small box, it seems like the easiest solution. I don't have to transport all at the same time either.

Broughton    94

I cannot help but feeling this topic blew out of proportions to the point of NSA countersurveillance for a few drives. I run drives for an MSP. Static bag, foam wrap and some cardboard gets it there functional.

Tidosho    652

I buy drives in bulk for my repair shop. I like to keep the polystyrene inserts they come in from the supplier, and have re-usable zippable antistatic bags that I keep our backup drives in for transporting to my offsite location under lock and key. Keep some silica gel pouches in there for moisture prevention.